New Battery Recommendations - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

New Battery Recommendations

It will be time for me to replace the battery in my 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 next Spring. I looked for threads on batteries and battery recommendations but didn't find anything. I am looking for a great quality battery and I'm willing to pay for a quality battery as opposed to just getting by. Any recommendations???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:51 AM

Garage
This site has a lot of good information for batteries. Plus the batteries are shipped free.

Honda Batteries | Replacement Battery for Honda Motorcycles

2006 VLX Named Ida.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Yuasa AGM Japan/USA made would be my choice. They are OEM and I never had one go bad yet after 60,000 mi. on the road and all have been original factory battery. Now I would say cranking 6 cyl. vs a vtwin is by far less stress on the battery especially after long period of not riding and this from own experience. Proper storage also contributes to longevity of the battery. The new lithiums are getting great reviews also but do require a different kind care compared to a normal wet cell battery. Be sure to follow manufactures instructions.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVMN View Post
It will be time for me to replace the battery in my 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 next Spring. I looked for threads on batteries and battery recommendations but didn't find anything. I am looking for a great quality battery and I'm willing to pay for a quality battery as opposed to just getting by. Any recommendations???
I can't believe you'll do better with lead-acid technology than a Yuasa-brand AGM. I got 8 years out of my last (and only) one with very minimal maintenance -- basically just connecting it to a float charger when I knew the bike would be parked for more than a couple of weeks.

Currently I am using a Shorai lithium-ion battery but it will be at least a couple of years before I'll know if it is good enough to recommend. So far there are a lot of pluses and very few minuses but given the price it needs to demonstrate longevity.

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
I can't believe you'll do better with lead-acid technology than a Yuasa-brand AGM. I got 8 years out of my last (and only) one with very minimal maintenance -- basically just connecting it to a float charger when I knew the bike would be parked for more than a couple of weeks.

Currently I am using a Shorai lithium-ion battery but it will be at least a couple of years before I'll know if it is good enough to recommend. So far there are a lot of pluses and very few minuses but given the price it needs to demonstrate longevity.
Correct me if I'm wrong (horrors!!) but don't you need a special charger for lithium-ion batteries?

"I hate social media. That's where losers go to feel important." -- Charles Barkley
2008 Suzuki DL650A (the "Wee"-Strom)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (horrors!!) but don't you need a special charger for lithium-ion batteries?
You *could* look at it that way.

In fact, though, you need a charger that is NOT special -- i.e. one that does NOT have a desulfation mode, which is highly desirable on a charger for lead-acid batteries. That mode depletes a l-i rather than charging it. You also don't want a high-amperage charger for a motorcycle battery; the issue is the same as with lead acid: internal heat buildup can damage the battery.

What I found extremely effective was a 700ma trickle charger that I bought from Harbor Freight for $7. As "smart" as it gets is a red light that comes on when the unit is plugged into an outlet.

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:47 PM

Wow! I think I am agreeing with most of the post but especially about the trickle charger or a maintainer, but I really agree with the original post, the battery is getting old replace it before end of life and it fails. Younger days I would run a battery until failure and then spend a lot of time jumping off vehicles or getting stuck in places I shouldn't be, yep learned a lot over the years.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Shorai lithium-ion battery:

As soon as one quits working we'll know how long they last. Sport bikers have been using them for years and haven't blown themselves up yet so we know there safe. The two major advantage of a lithium battery is they 1/4 the weight of a lead battery plus we don't have the starting problems from a weak battery we are plagued with because they keep their charge for a very long time. My two sons are also running lithium (HD & Suzuki) so I did buy the charger for the Shorai battery.

One thing against lithium is the up front cost. But if you're running new batteries very two or three years like a lot us are doing then cost will level out.

P.S. If you do go Lithium be sure and read the info on them, they are a different animal to deal with.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Model: Non Shadow 1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing Interstate, two cyl. transversive "twisted"twin
Year: 1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow
Garage
Try here before it's to late and have to walk the walk of shame, about$30-$40 AGM Maintenance Free .UPS Battery | SLA Battery | Replacement Batteries

1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow,1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing,1980 AMF Roadmaster w/Minarelli V1 moped.."It's the journey not the destination" Ravens Roost Overlook milepost 10 Blue Ridge Parkway,Virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page