Windshields and buffeting - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
Minimize the gap around the headlight as much as possible. Then get a tank bag -- easiest way to change the airflow and move it away from your head. Also very handy place to carry and/or store some of the bulky winter accessories you need to keep riding. Amazing how well it works. Not one of those dinky little bags, though.

You can pull the windscreen as it warms in the spring and then embrace/enjoy the wind.
I can't get by without a tank bag any more. So useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Windshield???? On a motorcycle??????? Isn't that a contradiction of terms????? Holy crap, what will they think of next??? 12v and USB ports? Next thing you know people will be riding their motorcycles looking at GPS devices and listening to music!!!! Windshields...... PFFFTH......

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:59 PM

I used to have a lot of buffeting with my windshield too. I added lowers and that fixed about 99% of the problem. Air was coming up from below my windshield and bouncing my head around. I have a Memphis Shades windshield and added Memphis Shades lowers. Although they don't look the greatest on my bike, they do function well.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 03:04 PM

By the way, I am also 6'2" tall. I wish my windshield had another inch or two for height, but then I lose the style of windshield that I like.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 06:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVMN View Post
By the way, I am also 6'2" tall. I wish my windshield had another inch or two for height, but then I lose the style of windshield that I like.
If you didn't get the tallest MS available then you can get taller replacement plastic and swap it into your hardware. Easy. Did it years ago and have been extremely happy with the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHornberger View Post
I can't get by without a tank bag any more. So useful.
Never take a trip without mine. Only buffeting I encounter anymore is local jaunts without the tank bag -- not even 1% of my miles nowadays. (I use the tank bag for jaunts around my travel destinations but not around home.)

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
Windshield???? On a motorcycle??????? Isn't that a contradiction of terms????? Holy crap, what will they think of next??? 12v and USB ports? Next thing you know people will be riding their motorcycles looking at GPS devices and listening to music!!!! Windshields...... PFFFTH......
..And thanks to Your Buddy SWOCS, A Satellite Communicator.. JUST in case we hit a pothole and git a-skeered!
Oh.. and Tire Pressure Monitors too!

...range computer, fuel gauge, dipstick, rear-view-"mirrors" .. Steering head bearings.. Phhh.. Not like when we were kids!!! ..

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX

Last edited by Mark-B; 12-03-2015 at 06:33 PM.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'm a fan of no windshield but sometimes it comes in handy (cold) I've tried different heights and sizes and angles. I didn't want to put the money into lowers because none of the arm position tests that I tried made any difference. I might try the tank bag.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Look through or over the windshield?

SO, I was asking a couple guys at a Honda shop about this and they both looked at me like I was an idiot because I wanted to look over the windshield instead of through it.
Question: Do you look through it or over it?
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rusty1 View Post
I went through 3 or 4 shields before I found one that worked. I ended up with a clearview shield with a vent. When the vent is opened and angled up, it deflects any buffeting.

That is one nice setup Rusty.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
I have a smaller Slip Streamer shield that helps with some wind on the chest. But low enough to look over it. I am a Fresh air fiend.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page