Honda Shadow Forums banner

1993 vt1100 Matte Black Cerakote

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  puk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I recently bought my first cruiser, have been a member here for a few months, but recently (as it is winter over here), went about changing my Dec 1993 vt1100 from this:

to this:

It is "black Velvet" cerakote, a ceramic based paint that is very tough and impervious to solvents. It is often used for firearms. this is in their "C" series, which is air-cured, but withstands up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit without discolouring, so it is okay for exhausts as well (which I am still thinking about).

I had to paint-strip and sandblast all the parts with 120 grit garnet or aluminium oxide, and spray them with a HVLP gun with a .8mm tip. It cures fully in 5 days, but is tack-free after 45 minutes.

I have also got rid of the buckhorn handlebars. I got a set with integrated risers from a Honda 250 magna, the risers didn't fit, so I ground them off. :) the position is much more comfortable. I have had the stock seat altered, added floorboards, replaced the headlight bulb with a 4000 lumen LED one, removed the sissy bar and rear pegs and de-registered it to single-seat only, as it is $250 for the year as opposed to $500 for a two-seater.

If I had my time again, I would not sandblast the chrome, but take it and have it all reversed. It has worked okay, but I think it would be better starting without the chrome.

I still have black mirrors coming, and am thinking about whether or not to do the engine and clutch covers next time I change the oil. It is very hard to get all the oils etc. out of the metal, and there cannot even be the oil from a fingerprint on the parts or the cerakote may not stick properly.

Anyway, that's what has been keeping me busy for the last week.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have also got rid of the buckhorn handlebars. I got a set with integrated risers from a Honda 250 magna, the risers didn't fit, so I ground them off. :) the position is much more comfortable. I have had the stock seat altered, added floorboards, replaced the headlight bulb with a 4000 lumen LED one, removed the sissy bar and rear pegs and de-registered it to single-seat only, as it is $250 for the year as opposed to $500 for a two-seater.
Say how much?????

$47.50 a year hear, regardless of number of seats

#9 ·
$600 here!

But that is mostly ACC which is a health cover, you are covered for accidents in our Rego here but its a rip off as they have halved it for cars but left bikes the same :(

$450 for under 600cc

#6 ·
Yep, with a tenth of the population of the states, but about the same geographical area, meaning lots of roads, etc., the government slug us very hard to pay for most things. The reason the registration is so expensive for a two-seater is actually the "Compulsory third party" insurance component, with the pillion passenger having to claim against the riders insurance after an accident. By cutting down to a single-seater, you remove this expensive insurance component. It would be nice to buy another bike cheap to make into a bobber, but the registration is crazy by the time you add the registration for our fishing boat ($97) AND a separate one for the trailer it sits on. ($97)
This is only the case as far as I am aware in the state of Queensland, where I live. I don't know what happens in the other states. what else, hm? Petrol is the equivalent of about $4.30 a gallon on a good day. Helmets are required by law.

As a shooter, the markup on guns and ammunition over here is ridiculous, but being a small population of shooters, and at the mercy of the low Aussie Dollar, we cop it pretty hard. The good news is there is no deer season and you can shoot them all year, as many as you want.

I shouldn't complain too hard. I still think it's about the greatest country on earth. (no offense meant, I am half American for the record)

Puk

#7 ·
I shouldn't complain too hard. I still think it's about the greatest country on earth. (no offense meant, I am half American for the record)

Puk
No offense taken. We used to be the greatest, but then lobbyists got ahold of our country. You know what they say about all governments failing. Looks like the beginning of the end for ours. May it be a slow death, because I don't want to be around when it does fail.

#18 ·
Australia has a few introduced species that we can shoot as hunters.

rabbits, feral cats, foxes, packs of wild dogs (ex-domesticated and interbred with dingoes ($50 bounty in my area)) feral pigs, feral goats, 6 species of deer, wild horses, wild donkeys and a huge and increasing problem in the outback with over 800,000 camels.

I shoot red deer, which are about the second largest species in Australia, and my family eats a lot of venison. I also shoot wild pigs (not many) which usually in Australia are not eaten due to the diseases they can carry, but shooting them does the farmers a favour as they rip up the land and kill lambs etc. I also am trying to learn how to howl in dogs, and i shoot foxes, helping to save the native wildlife.

We can't shoot Australian Natives, except for Kangaroos which can only be shot under permit if a property owner has too many on his land. In drought times they can all move to the only places with green grass and wipe a farmers livelihood out quite quickly.

(there are probably 5 times as many kangaroos in Australia as there were when white people arrived here, as they are plains animals, and we have opened up watering points for cattle and sheep, which have made the kangaroos thrive.)

None of our 6 species of deer are the ones you have in North America: whitetail or mule deer. We have hog (or swamp) deer (about the size of a sheep), Chital or Axis deer (from India) Fallow deer, Rusa, Sambar and Red Deer. All introduced.

I hope this helps. It is dangerous to get me started on hunting. :grin2: Bolt, lever or pump action rifles only in Australia for most people. Even pump action shotguns are in another, harder-to-get category.

#19 ·
By the way, Kangaroo is a lean, fairly gamey meat, a little like venison. we are increasingly able to buy it in supermarkets and niche restaurants, giving us the distinction of being one of the only countries in the world to eat one or both of the animals on its coat of arms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.