Pulled over by Police - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuh_auni View Post
@vito you mentioned a DE rider, we need expertise here man, modulators in DE, yay or nay?
@Paulie lives in Claymont, DE. So far this year we've ridden together in OH, PA and VA. WV later this month. NC next month after meeting up in VA. He tells me there's 1 decent road in DE.

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
We can thank Motorcyclists Rights Organizations for getting these laws passed & fighting the battle for us...
YES, there WAS opposition by Lawmakers!!!

Because of MROs, we CAN use these modulating Headlights...

Join the MRO of your Choice
Join ABATE in your State...
Click links in my signature for more info,
Dennis
DC -13 ABATE of GA

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I thought VA legalized Radar Det.?
My understanding was that DC was the last hold out east of the Mississippi?
When VA says radar detectors are not legal they mean that they are not only forbidden to be used in the State but also must be hidden from sight. Trooper spotted mine unplugged and laying on a dash tray. $40.00 fine for having a detector that can be seen even if not in use and then the state charged me a $60.00 processing fee on top of the fine to cash my $40.00 check. Happened this past Spring.
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:09 PM

Model: 750 ACE/VLX
Year: 2003/2005
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nraluke View Post
When VA says radar detectors are not legal they mean that they are not only forbidden to be used in the State but also must be hidden from sight. Trooper spotted mine unplugged and laying on a dash tray. $40.00 fine for having a detector that can be seen even if not in use and then the state charged me a $60.00 processing fee on top of the fine to cash my $40.00 check. Happened this past Spring.
Right, I knew about the sight thing, I've paid that ticket lol, but I'd heard they legalized last year, guess not.

Sometimes it seems like I'm arguing, that's just how I work out a solution:.. The other times I'm arguing.

'Grace' 03 Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDA

'Vickie' 05 Shadow VLX 600 VT600CA

BOTM Archive

post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nraluke View Post
Yeah I usually put mine in the trunk in VA. I've heard stories of cops making people smash theirs. Not sure if it's true but I could see some being jerks like that. Not sure what they do with some newer vehicles that have them mounted in the dash?

I need one that connects to my gps so it shows where they are

2001 Honda Shadow ACE Deluxe

post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 PM

Model: 750 ACE/VLX
Year: 2003/2005
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves31 View Post
Yeah I usually put mine in the trunk in VA. I've heard stories of cops making people smash theirs. Not sure if it's true but I could see some being jerks like that. Not sure what they do with some newer vehicles that have them mounted in the dash?

I need one that connects to my gps so it shows where they are
Trap Tap

Sometimes it seems like I'm arguing, that's just how I work out a solution:.. The other times I'm arguing.

'Grace' 03 Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDA

'Vickie' 05 Shadow VLX 600 VT600CA

BOTM Archive

post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I'd say probably 70-30 wooded, and that's where I am, in the heart of the woods, and soy fields.
But we've got a LOT of testosterone fueled 25-30 year old cops, who want to play big man, and trained in the high crime areas. So when they get down here they get bored and touchy. Your city guys are usually no trouble unless your in a shore town, but sheriff's and troopers, don't forget to lick their boots!

Mind you I have no qualm with law enforcement in general, I'm a gub'ment employee already, and a Criminal Justice major lol.

As for DE inspection, I wouldn't know about that, we dropped inspection for bikes, and last month for cars older than '95. Besides we won't be subject to DE inspection anyway, but they do have some great roads!

@vito you mentioned a DE rider, we need expertise here man, modulators in DE, yay or nay?
Don't know, don't care. Plenty of folks all over who spend time making sure they have a modulator, anti lock brakes, $500+ helmet, hi-viz padded gear from head to toe, flashing brake lights, and spend ZERO time honing safe riding skills like emergency stopping, swerving, and developing situational awareness.

A modulator won't help when a distracted driver approaches you from behind while you are stopped at an intersection, won't help in many situations involving your lane position, the position of cars around you, and traffic turning across or into your lane of travel. I agree that they can be seen more readily in a one on one situation with opposing traffic that wants to turn left, but you are still a speck in the mix with traffic all around.

When all think alike......no one thinks very much.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
A modulator won't help <SNIP> traffic turning across or into your lane of travel.
Nope. You are completely wrong on that one. That is when a modulator makes the biggest difference.

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
Nope. You are completely wrong on that one. That is when a modulator makes the biggest difference.
Not so much when you are on a multi lane road with cars at your 10 or 2 o'clock and blocking the other driver's line of sight, or when passing (on the right) a car going in the same direction that is slowing or stopped at an intersection to make a left turn. Nothing makes a bike visible in that situation.....totally concealed by the car you are passing. Seen countless bikes come close to getting taken out by an opposing left turning vehicle in that situation. Cars too for that matter.
The benefits are good for certain situations, and mitigated in others. As with most things in life.

My point being, many riders practice such bad habits, pure grace keeps them on the road.....for awhile anyway.

post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
This....
"A modulator won't help <SNIP> traffic turning across or into your lane of travel."

Is not this....
" won't help in many situations involving your lane position, the position of cars around you, and traffic turning across or into your lane of travel."

and you missed this.....
" agree that they can be seen more readily in a one on one situation with opposing traffic that wants to turn left, but you are still a speck in the mix with traffic all around."

For someone usually so meticulous, this surprises me. We actually agree, I'm just pointing out that there are many times when cars around the bike can obstruct it from being seen....and no modulator can help in that situation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page