Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum (https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/)
-   General Bike Discussion (https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-bike-discussion/)
-   -   Pulled over by Police (https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-bike-discussion/491873-pulled-over-police.html)

nraluke 08-02-2016 01:43 PM

Pulled over by Police

Driving through a small local city today and was pulled over by Police cruiser. After he ran my plate, he came up to my cycle and I asked what I did wrong? He was very polite and stated he needed to inspect my bike for safety because my headlight was flickering. Wondered to myself if my CCW came up on my motorcycle plate like it does on my truck plate but wasn't about to ask him. I informed him that bike has a headlight modulator and that the headlight modulator was doing what it is supposed to do for my safety and explained how they work. He said that he has been riding for 2 years and never saw a headlight modulator and stated "But I Ride a Harley". Showed him a copy of the Federal law stating that headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states and told him that you can install them on any make of bike. He asked if he could take a picture of the Federal Law copy, thanked me and sent me on my way. I have to agree with him about not seeing modulators in this area which make mine even more noticeable to the on coming traffic and that person who is about to pull out in front of you from a side street. Have only seen a couple other modulators in my travels but they were in the Youngstown area.

smurfy71 08-02-2016 01:47 PM

I never knew about the modulator until I joined this forum. I have seen a few around here, and wondered why the driver was flashing his light. Works though, got my attention, mind you I am always looking at bikes when driving my cage, can't help it.

Nuh_auni 08-02-2016 01:49 PM

the lesson here...

Modulator on passing lights, steady stream on the headlight.
Because "Officer I have a permit to carry that" has failed before.

Glad he accepted the paperwork and let you go though.

Mark-B 08-02-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuh_auni (Post 4693577)
the lesson here...

Glad he accepted the paperwork and let you go though.

I would have to re-read the law, but from what I remember, you can't have a modulator on passing lamps.

Used to have one on my Aero.. They really do work, and I too carried a copy of the law, just in case... I have been tailed by the police a few times - more so then, when I had a modulator, than I do now, not having a headlight modulator..

Those police might have thought it strange themselves, at the time, and put in a call in to query the law on these things..

Just remember.. Using one, you will draw attention to yourself.

Also to note.. In certain States you have a duty to inform the police officer on first contact, if you are stopped while CC.. Arizona for one.

Dingo. 08-02-2016 02:19 PM

142 Attachment(s)
I love using my modulator up here, people get out of the way because they think you're a cop, or they say "there's something wrong with your light, or my favourite " hey your Harleys broken." If I have time I explain that it's to keep the next idiot from hitting me, if not I give them a big smile, a thumbs up and a thanks, so they wonder if I heard them.

Dingo.

adlowe 08-02-2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nraluke (Post 4693553)
Driving through a small local city today and was pulled over by Police cruiser. After he ran my plate...

Went through nearly the exact same thing in downtown Gettysburg back in June. Differences:
o First time I was pulled over for a modulator. Been using it for 12+ years.
o Cop was not a rider.
o Found he'd left his cell phone in his locker so couldn't take a picture.
o Readily accepted when I offered to snap a photo and e-mail it to him.
o Said he plans to distribute or post a copy of the federal statute (after verifying it, of course) through the department so everyone knows.

All in all, it was irritating to be stopped but the officer's polite courtesy turned it around -- made me glad to have the opportunity to spread some knowledge. Not quite to the point that I didn't mind losing time. But almost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuh_auni (Post 4693577)
the lesson here...

Nope. Nope.

Modulator goes on the headlight elst illegal. Typically installed to "flash" the high beam. The low beam is the "steady stream."

There is no permit for a headlight modulator as they are ALLOWED BY FEDERAL LAW. (Look it up?) Not that I'd make much of a fuss with an officer who decided to be an authoritative a__hole. I would politely offer to shut it down until I was out of his jurisdiction. Should he insist on giving me a ticket the sucker would definitely see me in court -- and I'd sue his department to recover my expenses. Because, you know, who could pass up the chance to educate?

FWIW, the laminated copy of the federal law that I carry in my saddlebag has a copy of the modulator's specs laminated on the back. I'd sure hate trying to prove the thing was "flashing" at 240 40 cycles per minute while standing at the side of the road.

CrazyDave 08-02-2016 04:11 PM

Sounds like a good cop doing his job and not trying to bust anyones chops

Nuh_auni 08-02-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adlowe (Post 4693705)
Went through nearly the exact same thing in downtown Gettysburg back in June. Differences:
o First time I was pulled over for a modulator. Been using it for 12+ years.
o Cop was not a rider.
o Found he'd left his cell phone in his locker so couldn't take a picture.
o Readily accepted when I offered to snap a photo and e-mail it to him.
o Said he plans to distribute or post a copy of the federal statute (after verifying it, of course) through the department so everyone knows.

All in all, it was irritating to be stopped but the officer's polite courtesy turned it around -- made me glad to have the opportunity to spread some knowledge. Not quite to the point that I didn't mind losing time. But almost.

Nope. Nope.

Modulator goes on the headlight elst illegal. Typically installed to "flash" the high beam. The low beam is the "steady stream."

There is no permit for a headlight modulator as they are ALLOWED BY FEDERAL LAW. (Look it up?) Not that I'd make much of a fuss with an officer who decided to be an authoritative a__hole. I would politely offer to shut it down until I was out of his jurisdiction. Should he insist on giving me a ticket the sucker would definitely see me in court -- and I'd sue his department to recover my expenses. Because, you know, who could pass up the chance to educate?

FWIW, the laminated copy of the federal law that I carry in my saddlebag has a copy of the modulator's specs laminated on the back. I'd sure hate trying to prove the thing was "flashing" at 240 40 cycles per minute while standing at the side of the road.

The 'permit' was in reference to @nraluke 's CCW.
Frankly I know nothing about the modulator, I do know about illegal search, and police reaction/over-reaction.

Side note: You may have no flashing lights on a motor-vehicle in the state of new jersey without an occupational or traffic safety regulation permit, a quick glance at the federal statute for the modulator says that it does supersede any relevant/applicable state law, but that might not stop the officer from writing the ticket, or performing a search/inspection of me or the bike, so while I might ultimately win in court, I neither recover the court costs, nor the time/energy.

I have no issue with the modulator, in fact it seems like a great idea (i've said it before Moar light, Moar light, Moar LIGHT!) and like I said @nraluke and all others with it, I'm glad it wen't so well for you. But gentleman, your lives will be easier if you switch em off in jersey, or just stay out of the awful state all-together, I'll meet you in DE we'll ride there lol.

nraluke 08-02-2016 04:35 PM

Don't ride anywhere near New Jersey. To far away and to much back up on the bridges. LOL PS= modulator doesn't flash off and on, it stays on but raises and lowers bulb brightness very quickly, pulsates.

Steve C 08-02-2016 06:24 PM

I have seen people look at my modulated light ,at least they see me.When you come into Va. on the interstate there is a sign that says seat belts required and radar detectors illegal but no mention of the helmet law.There should be a all state uniform set of laws.In Va. when they call your plate in the dispatcher will tell them if you have a CCW permit.