A Harley rider speaks - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuh_auni View Post
Plus the Vic's are sexy these days, the early ones looked like a fat kid in the pool that thought he was friends with Guy Fieri, but now, now they have style.
MMMmmmmm Beauty is in the eye of the beholder methinks.. ..Kinda neutral about how my Vic looks.. I think HD Nailed style.. I don't think there's a better looking bike on the road. My XCT? Took me a while to get used to the look of it.. Kinda like the look of it more today.. Kinda..

Fits me like a glove, though..

Of all the bikes I sat on and tried, and there were more than a few.. I sat on the XCT and it just - fit.

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
My issue with Indian is very few dealerships.
And that's the rub.

I really like the Indian Scouts and would be hard pressed to talk myself out of buying one when the time for a new bike arrives. Recently I went so far as to look up the local dealerships and...there ain't none.

Since I like to travel a lot on my bike, it's comforting knowing that there's an extensive dealer network in case I need one when I'm far and away...somewhere in towing distance. At the least, I'd like to know I have a dealership somewhere near where I live.

HD has this aced. Honda dealers are common enough, too.

My Honda dealer is 12 miles away. The nearest HD dealership is 8 miles away and I have several more to choose from.

Indians? I live near a major metropolitan area and the nearest dealership is 50 miles away. The next three closest dealerships are in the next state.

So Indian is not an option right now. This may change by the time I'm looking to buy, so I'm hopeful.

Still, I'd be happy enough with another Honda.

2005 Shadow VLX 600 "Saya"

"Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. God is merciful and will hear your prayers" - St. Pio
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Old tired argument. Harley has come a long way. I have had metrics and they are nice but too Sublime. I like the rough Idle of a carbed Sportster. I never forget I am on a V Twin HD. I have tried out five Harleys in the past two, three years. Never once lost a part.

One of the things I like about HD over my Yamaha V Star 1300 is mostly steel parts. The black Yamaha plastic side cover costs nearly $100. Harley has a steel chrome one for the same price.Yamaha is a great metric. Better than Honda in their commitment to a full line of Star Cruisers. I almost bought a Bolt. But after test riding one I prefer the Sportster 1200.

Indians and Victorys are doing well eating into Harleys business. The new 500 and 700 water cooled Harleys seem to have bombed. They look and sound like off the line metrics. I would buy those over a Shadow for the performance aspect. But I like the sloppy sounding Sporty.

. I don't care for the Indian dealership here or the look of the big bikes. The Scout is the only Indian I would buy. I am done dropping ten thousand plus on a bike I won't put 2000 miles a year on. Milk and bread runner.....
My issue with Indian is very few dealerships. I have five HD dealerships within 100 miles The closest being Myrtle beach and Shallotte NC at Beach House Harley where I bought my Heritage, and a crapload of Harley Mechanics at independant HD bike shops.

Truth be told I am back on Harley because I could not pass this deal up and I don't ride the distances I did out west. With a Tacoma, a roadster, and Sporty and no where to go everyday I won't put as many miles on the bike. SO a $2800 bike will suit me fine. I have budgeted $4200 to replace some corroded parts , Tires, Shocks, and a full mechanical and safety check. I am almost there LOL

I loved my Dyna Glide T-Sport. Lots of fun, lots of torque, and it sounded fantastic. By the time I am 50, I'll own another (that's not that far off ).

Start motorcycle plz. I needz ride!

"The right to self defense is fundamental to a free state. If, by dictate of the state, it is unlawful to defend your own person, you are not a citizen nor even a subject; you are property."
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
I loved my Dyna Glide T-Sport. Lots of fun, lots of torque, and it sounded fantastic. By the time I am 50, I'll own another (that's not that far off ).
By then I would wait for the new Milwaukee 8 motor is dropped in it.

FIRST LOOK: Harley-Davidson?s Milwaukee Eight Engine - Cycle News

I had the 103 in the Ultra. Bike was a pig.(and got four recalls after I sold it......LOL Heritage was better but still burned the thighs (yeah I wear shorts in the Summer)...Sportster has a lot going for it. Unlike the big twin , the belt can be changed easily,Only two holes for fluid changes, Rock solid engine. Did not have the issues the Big Twin motors had over the years. Less for maintenance and expense.

I had a fatty front Sportster for awhile and sold it when I bought the Vette, The Corvette was going to be my Trike.....Miata better for that,,Waiting for the Miata RF, or New Spyder 124 from Fiat Hee hee,

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
Not even sure why "Harley" had to be mentioned at all if not to attempt to stick a barb at the company and its patrons.
Harley was mentioned because that was the bike he was riding. If he rode a Yamahonduki then that would have been the bike mentioned. No where did I say HD is bad. He was the one that kinda ran down both metric and Indian in one sentence. The post was not about HD v the world. It was about how a guy said he was afraid to ride because people ran stop signs and how an American V twin engine resembles a metric and to him that was a detraction, but for some reason was still open to maybe getting an Indian.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
By then I would wait for the new Milwaukee 8 motor is dropped in it.

FIRST LOOK: Harley-Davidson?s Milwaukee Eight Engine - Cycle News

I had the 103 in the Ultra. Bike was a pig.(and got four recalls after I sold it......LOL Heritage was better but still burned the thighs (yeah I wear shorts in the Summer)...Sportster has a lot going for it. Unlike the big twin , the belt can be changed easily,Only two holes for fluid changes, Rock solid engine. Did not have the issues the Big Twin motors had over the years. Less for maintenance and expense.

I had a fatty front Sportster for awhile and sold it when I bought the Vette, The Corvette was going to be my Trike.....Miata better for that,,Waiting for the Miata RF, or New Spyder 124 from Fiat Hee hee,

It'll be at least 2018 before the Milwaukee Eight makes it to the Dyna line, and since I'm not inclined to buy new...

I'm actually thinking of going with a '99 FXR3, an EVO powered FXR built by the CVO division. I'll drop an updated front end on it (better brakes), and a nice set of reservoir shocks.

I love that new Miata targa. I sold my Dyna for a Miata (older style with pop up headlights) as my wife couldn't ride with me anymore (she has MS). From there she got a Mercedes SLK230, and then a '99 300ZX. Of the three, the 300ZX is my favorite. I might just have to get one for me one day, then drop an LS3 and a 6-speed in it!

"The right to self defense is fundamental to a free state. If, by dictate of the state, it is unlawful to defend your own person, you are not a citizen nor even a subject; you are property."

Last edited by Word Man; 09-01-2016 at 07:04 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
It'll be at least 2018 before the Milwaukee Eight makes it to the Dyna line, and since I'm not inclined to buy new...

I'm actually thinking of going with a '99 FXR3, an EVO powered FXR built by the CVO division. I'll drop an updated front end on it (better brakes), and a nice set of reservoir shocks.

I love that new Miata targa. I sold my Dyna for a Miata (older style with pop up headlights) as my wife couldn't ride with me anymore (she has MS). From there she got a Mercedes SLK230, and then a '99 300ZX. Of the three, the 300ZX is my favorite. I might just have to get one for me one day, then drop an LS3 and a 6-speed in it!
YEah You are right about the Dyna and the new engine. I had an FXR and it only left me on the side of the road twice. (Both loose electrical connectors) It is the only Big Twin Dyna I would buy if they made one today with the M8. Yummy. I am in my twilight riding years. I will quit before it gets unsafe to continue. Then I am all in on a 14 Vette Convertible or the Miata RF. That will be my "trike" I am not committed to riding a motorcycle into my 60's. I have 40 years of upright riding.....Don't want to push it....although most people go through their entire riding lives without an injury from a get off.

Last edited by Hondaguy; 09-01-2016 at 09:21 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Harley was mentioned because that was the bike he was riding. If he rode a Yamahonduki then that would have been the bike mentioned. No where did I say HD is bad. He was the one that kinda ran down both metric and Indian in one sentence. The post was not about HD v the world. It was about how a guy said he was afraid to ride because people ran stop signs and how an American V twin engine resembles a metric and to him that was a detraction, but for some reason was still open to maybe getting an Indian.
I assumed this is a Honda site and we were allowed to talk about Harley if we wanted to? I'm not a huge Harley fan. I've ridden them and they are ok. I'm not going to go buy one because they cost more then they should and anything that says Harley on it is outrageous. I've seen t-shirts for $70. That said, I ride a Honda and so that is the bike I will defend. I love all bikes but I'm partial to Honda. So what have you heard about the Yamahonduki? I've only heard bad things so far but their coming along.

2001 Honda Shadow ACE Deluxe

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
YEah You are right about the Dyna and the new engine. I had an FXR and it only left me on the side of the road twice. (Both loose electrical connectors) It is the only Big Twin Dyna I would buy if they made one today with the M8. Yummy. I am in my twilight riding years. I will quit before it gets unsafe to continue. Then I am all in on a 14 Vette Convertible or the Miata RF. That will be my "trike" I am not committed to riding a motorcycle into my 60's. I have 40 years of upright riding.....Don't want to push it....although most people go through their entire riding lives without an injury from a get off.
Then again, I once met a man who started riding in his 70s!

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 12:02 AM

Model: 750 ACE/VLX
Year: 2003/2005
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-B View Post
MMMmmmmm Beauty is in the eye of the beholder methinks.. ..Kinda neutral about how my Vic looks.. I think HD Nailed style.
Or the aye of the beer-holder, whichever.

HD looks good but it's the standard the 48 is excellent but it feels small.

The Vic Gunner is just a Great looking bike, big and mean but still sleek. Big fat comfy tires, and a good rumble.

Only bike I think looks Better is the Dark Horse. Daym.

Lots of companies have some real attractive bikes, but those 2.

Sometimes it seems like I'm arguing, that's just how I work out a solution:.. The other times I'm arguing.

'Grace' 03 Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDA

'Vickie' 05 Shadow VLX 600 VT600CA

BOTM Archive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page