Insults, really? - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 PM

Garage
"Tried that once , it is back in the shop , again. Expensive mistake that was."

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Garage
I know a lot of Harley guys and girls, most are of the mindset of " Got two wheels, who cares let's ride"

But there are a few others, mostly younger guys and the few kids from the local university that won't even look at you like your a human if your not in a Harley. They are the jerks that scoff at you at the gas station, they also pull up to me at the lights, snaking through stopped traffic making their way up, in both instances they they kinda get a little less smug when I start my little joke Honda and it sounds almost as good and their Harleys.

I personally don't care, when someone asks me if it's a Harley I tell them, "Clearly it isn't, it's not in the shop" so I guess that's our way of being jerks....
post #23 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:32 PM

"When are you going to get a real bike?"

Invite them to grab a handful of the hot exhaust pipe with the assurance that they will indeed find the bike is quite real.

"The Edge...there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." ~ Hunter S. Thompson
Anger and worry are the two greatest wastes of time known to man. Aside from television, of course.

post #24 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big poppa pump View Post
Nobody tells me to get a real bike when I am out and about on my 2 wheels!
They can't say much while they're looking at tail pipes from a distance now can they?

I get pretty much ignored when around the "exclusive" bunch but I ignore them too. I'm a exclusive in my own right. All is good to each their own.

My favorite reply when needed:
What you know is only exceeded by what you think you know and that appears to be very minimal at best.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #25 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 AM

Garage
Funny that you don't hear people saying "Get a real car." I wonder what would qualify for that statement. If you want to get people thinking ask them this...If Harvey Davidson built a single engine plane......would you fly in it? " Then watch their wheels start turning and see how few actually say "Yes I would."
Harley makes some great bikes.....so does most of all the other manufacturers or they would not be in business. There are certain brands of things I swear by and I strongly recommend people try them, but I don't insult or belittle them because they don't own my preferred brand. The mentality goes beyond motorcycles. Take firearms for example...despite them being used worldwide by military and law enforcement agencies, being used to win countless shooting competitions, and having a reputation of being the most reliable pistol on the planet, there are still people who criticize and hate Glocks. I guess there will always be haters out there regardless of the product.

"Anybody can jump a motorcycle.The trouble begins when you try to land it" Evil Knievel

post #26 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider View Post
Funny that you don't hear people saying "Get a real car." I wonder what would qualify for that statement. If you want to get people thinking ask them this...If Harvey Davidson built a single engine plane......would you fly in it? " Then watch their wheels start turning and see how few actually say "Yes I would."
Harley makes some great bikes.....so does most of all the other manufacturers or they would not be in business. There are certain brands of things I swear by and I strongly recommend people try them, but I don't insult or belittle them because they don't own my preferred brand. The mentality goes beyond motorcycles. Take firearms for example...despite them being used worldwide by military and law enforcement agencies, being used to win countless shooting competitions, and having a reputation of being the most reliable pistol on the planet, there are still people who criticize and hate Glocks. I guess there will always be haters out there regardless of the product.
Ever drive a Geo Metro? You will hear "Get a real car". Most riders, the majority of riders, don't say anything negative about my ACE. As a matter of fact, I have had compliments from a few Harley riders. The only negative I got was from a Harley rider about my Indian and he insulted both metric and Indian at the same time. I posted about that interaction. Most people seem to ignore the Honda. The Indian being new has garnered more responses. If someone tells me to "Get a real bike" when I am riding the ACE, well that may lead to a conversation that they will wish they hadn't started. Particularly if they ride a Harley. One thing Harley riders don't know or conveniently forget is that Honda saved their ass and plays a big part in Harley engine development. Research the lawsuit Harley had against Honda over the noise of an ACE.
post #27 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Ever drive a Geo Metro? You will hear "Get a real car". Most riders, the majority of riders, don't say anything negative about my ACE. As a matter of fact, I have had compliments from a few Harley riders. The only negative I got was from a Harley rider about my Indian and he insulted both metric and Indian at the same time. I posted about that interaction. Most people seem to ignore the Honda. The Indian being new has garnered more responses. If someone tells me to "Get a real bike" when I am riding the ACE, well that may lead to a conversation that they will wish they hadn't started. Particularly if they ride a Harley. One thing Harley riders don't know or conveniently forget is that Honda saved their ass and plays a big part in Harley engine development. Research the lawsuit Harley had against Honda over the noise of an ACE.
Wow Steve! A GEO Metro? Get a real car!!!! LOL Just kidding.

"Anybody can jump a motorcycle.The trouble begins when you try to land it" Evil Knievel

post #28 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:38 AM

Garage
The words, thoughts and opinions of those that mean nothing to me have exactly that amount of weight, I've got too many good folks, blessings and fun to be had to give it any .

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #29 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Garage
[quote=puk;4754490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post

Services are everywhere for Harleys. Lots of mechanics who are experts on them. Especially the older ones. QUOTE]

Is that because they are so unreliable that they always are in need of repair?

At least a Honda keeps us on the road.

whenever anyone tells me they own a Harley, I always say "Oh, is it in the shop is it?"
My snarky reply to the guy who made the comment would have been something along theses lines:

"You should get a real bike (like a Harley)"
"No thanks, I prefer my bikes on the road and not the garage."

On Saturday I returned the U-Haul trailer I had rented and dropped it off in Charleston, SC. The guy at the U-Haul had a Harley. We spoke briefly, and he told me he has 3 Harleys. The one I saw, and two more that are broken down in his garage at home. I then told him about the image of the "Harley Boots" with magnets on top to pick-up nuts and bolts as you ride. He laughed, and thought that was pretty funny. Seemed like a good guy.

Lots of bikes in Charleston! Can't wait to get mine here.
post #30 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Model: 750 ACE/VLX
Year: 2003/2005
Garage
I let my pipes respond. I don't say a word. 😂

Sometimes it seems like I'm arguing, that's just how I work out a solution:.. The other times I'm arguing.

'Grace' 03 Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDA

'Vickie' 05 Shadow VLX 600 VT600CA

BOTM Archive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page