Looking at another bike, 2005 Victory Cruiser - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
Glad its working out. When I read your first post I was trying to figure out how he was going to ride from Germany to Sturgis on a bike,,,you get wet doing that!!!

Could not resist,,,good luck on the ride.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I have owned a 12 Road King, 14 Ultra Classic EG, 14 Heritage Softail and two Sportsters. I like the Sportsters the best for all around riding. I like the Road King so I bought a 14 Ultra Classic Electra glide , The Ultra was far too much bike for those who do a lot of around town riding, The Heritage was to damn hot on the thighs and a slug on the road. SO I bought a 12 EFI Sportster and decided to quit riding and buy a roadster.......Then I found another Sporty on CL and now have it. No EFI.....I like that I can adjust the mixture on the fly.

I would ride my 05 Sportster 1200 anywhere. 1200cc is plenty for cross country runs. Hell I rode a Shadow 1100 from San Diego to NJ. After Colorado into Kansas the ride was boring. But not uncomfortable. I would rather ride a Sportster than any 750 Twin long distances. It has more pull than my 1100s had. Its heavy and stable in cross winds, yet still can out pull a Road King. I have no interest in the Dynas (Unless they were on the FXR frame)

I would not discount a Sportster. I am on my second and there is no other bike I would buy and I bought them all in the last few years. I had issues with all of them except the Sportster. Not mechanical but lets face it a mechanical idiot like me can do a lot on that bike with a Wal Mart took kit and some Torx.

I rode a few Victorys but was afraid of the only dealer. They did not have a dedicated mechanic, Either that or going out of business (they sell used cars) as well as Polaris bikes.

I just never fell in love with the "pointy" styling of them and only one dealer who works on them. Independents don't even work on them much. The Polaris dealer in Wilmington NC dropped the Polaris bike line and stuck with the off road quads, Wilmington is a LOT bigger than Myrtle beach.

Then there is this

Last edited by Hondaguy; 10-12-2016 at 04:04 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM

Garage
Kinda hard to pass up a shop owned and maintained bike. Unless possibly it was a rental / test ride unit.
Sounds like you have recourse if something major goes wrong early for the new rider. Reputation and all.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
GOT IT!

It's sporting some old fuel and I think it's going to get some Seafoam treatment this week, but it's in my garage next to the Valk.

Took it around the block a little bit, but the tabs are expired, so I didn't go too far or too fast. The clutch is really grabby, going to take some getting used to. Having a heel shifter is going to be fun.

It's loud & blue, so it's a reasonable replacement for the VT750.

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
I would ride my 05 Sportster 1200 anywhere. 1200cc is plenty for cross country runs.

I would not discount a Sportster.
I don't disagree with any part of this. However, IIRC, you're notably shorter than I am. My VT750 would've been perfectly fine for me, if only it were PHYSICALLY larger. For me, both the VT1100's and Sportster 1200's have the same issues I had with the 750.

Yes, it's totally doable, don't disagree one bit. But the Victory added a couple of inches of legroom comfort at, basically, the same price point.

Regardless, it's fun to ride around & really makes me miss the Shadow. I think I'm going to remove the windshield for the next few weeks, too, just to remember what it's like to ride wide-open!

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:05 PM

Looks great JW, good luck with it. Love the blue! You keeping the Valk?

"Stormy" 1997 Valkyrie Tourer - http://s724.photobucket.com/user/Har...eshow/Valkyrie

Ride Bell By OldDad
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc View Post
Looks great JW, good luck with it. Love the blue! You keeping the Valk?
Yes, it's a second skoot for him, kinda. Long story, but it's his to keep exercised until family comes in from overseas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page