Looking at another bike, 2005 Victory Cruiser - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking at another bike, 2005 Victory Cruiser

Ok, here's the deal...

My sister lives in Germany, started dating this guy who rides motorcycles. He has a couple of Harleys (which, apparently, is a big deal in Germany?) and he has decided he wants to come to Sturgis 2017.

To be clear, he wants to RIDE to Sturgis 2017.

We started by looking into rentals. STUPID expensive! Approximately $4000 to rent one from Sioux Falls for Sturgis. Yowza!

Then, we briefly considered what it would take for him to ship one of his Germany bikes to the US. The paperwork alone was overwhelming, plus he wouldn't have the bike for months while it was in shipment. Add in the potential for serious damage, and by all appearances, it would cost about the same $4000 (minimum!?!)...Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.

For $4000, you can PURCHASE a pretty decent motorcycle. Heck, you can sell it afterwards, recoup your money, and really make the trip cheap (you know, ignoring the plane ticket).

So, I have been tasked to find him a decent motorcycle in & around the Twin Cities. I have an approximate $5000 budget, it *HAS* to be HD/Indian/Victory (American Manufacturer, his personal requirement because this is, essentially, a once-in-a-lifetime bucket list trip) and it has to be good enough to make it to Sturgis and back with minimal trouble (which rules out a $5000 HD! )

We have found some late-'90's to mid-2000's Victory bikes that fit the requirements. I'm wondering if anybody on the forums has some experience with something like this.

05 Victory 50th yr Anniversary Edition tour cruiser

It *LOOKS* really nice, and I'm probably going to go look at it sometime this week (you know, in between work, school, dog, house, and everything else--all I've gots is free time these days).

Also, why do people struggle so badly with pictures on Craigslist? obligatory sideways & cropped photo:

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 PM

I don't really know anything about Victory bikes myself. But you can easily find a really nice Sportster in that price range. Especially this time of year.

2002 Shadow Spirit 1100
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Victory makes nice bikes....neighbor has 3. I believe their quality has improved in the last 10 years; at least: according to C.J.

And @Spool is correct.... it's the right time of the year to buy.

But then, I must respectfully disagree.....
Unless your brother-in-law is a smaller, flexible, agile younger guy, the Sportster would be my last choice to ride very far on!
Especially for a once-in-a-lifetime Bucket List ride.

Just my opinion!

-Gnarly

(sarcasm: just another free service we provide)

~~~Ride safe; ride smart....in memory of the one and only 7x~~~

The VT1100C2 ACEs: the '97 Flyin' Jenni, rescue dog Hobo LongNose, and the '96 on the right.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 PM

If it's anything like the newer models it'll be good for 125+k miles with scheduled maintenance. Polaris doesn't tend to bolt together too much crap, so I'd be surprised if this one is the exception to the rule.

Saying that, I looked into this bike, read some reviews as I'm not familiar with this particular model, so.. I'm "Parroting" here - Rubber mounted floor boards and handlebar risers to cut vibration, stock seat is okay, not great, hydraulic lifters, self adjusting cam chains, 28.3" seat height, fuel injected. Rock solid and simple.. More Common issues reported seems to be difficulty finding neutral and it having a five speed tranny.. People tend to complain that they are left looking for a sixth gear. Most people love this bike, there's a dissenting few, but most reviews I read are positive.

So, a winner maybe, if it was properly maintained..

I get between 7 and 10k out of a set of tires.. Others will tell you they get twice that much.. So, up-to-you.. Depending how much tread you have left, it might be worth asking about tire mileage / average life, with the mind to maybe consider spooning on some new rubber before heading out on a longer trip.

How's the lawyering coming along? Rocking those classes I hope!

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-B View Post
If it's anything like the newer models it'll be good for 125+k miles with scheduled maintenance. Polaris doesn't tend to bolt together too much crap, so I'd be surprised if this one is the exception to the rule.

Saying that, I looked into this bike, read some reviews as I'm not familiar with this particular model, so.. I'm "Parroting" here - Rubber mounted floor boards and handlebar risers to cut vibration, stock seat is okay, not great, hydraulic lifters, self adjusting cam chains, 28.3" seat height, fuel injected. Rock solid and simple.. More Common issues reported seems to be difficulty finding neutral and it having a five speed tranny.. People tend to complain that they are left looking for a sixth gear. Most people love this bike, there's a dissenting few, but most reviews I read are positive.

So, a winner maybe, if it was properly maintained..

I get between 7 and 10k out of a set of tires.. Others will tell you they get twice that much.. So, up-to-you.. Depending how much tread you have left, it might be worth asking about tire mileage / average life, with the mind to maybe consider spooning on some new rubber before heading out on a longer trip.
Kinda the same message I'm seeing, too. I've found a '99, owned by a dealer as his personal bike. It was one of the first bikes delivered when he opened his Victory dealership, so he kept it. 12k miles and looks nice in the pictures. It all sounds great, and at decent price. Going to look at it tomorrow, hopefully. One of the top items I'm going to check will be the date code on the tires.

Yeah, @Spool , he's about my size - 6'4" - and there's no possible way I would consider riding a Sporty from Minneapolis to Sturgis. I did it once with my VT750 and it's just not worth it. I figure the smallest HD that would work would be a Dyna, and that's just too expensive for anything decent. A cheap HD is a great way to spend a lot more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-B View Post
How's the lawyering coming along? Rocking those classes I hope!
It's midterms already. In all honesty, I think it's going pretty well, but I haven't had much time to stop & think about it. No kidding, it's a TON of reading.

-- Henry Rollins
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 PM

I have a 13 victory highball and it's the ****

01 Honda Sabre 1100
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, went to look at another one last night and we might have found something. It's a 1999 Victory V92. The owner was a small-town Polaris / Victory dealer from the mid-90's through the mid-2000's. He was a pilot dealer for Polaris and this was the FIRST Victory bike delivered to his dealership in 1998. Rather than sell it, he has kept it for himself. All work has been done by his staff and Polaris company trainers. All parts are OEM replacements. New tires, brakes, etc. A few bug splatters aside, this is one of the cleanest used bikes I have ever seen.

We are trying to move some money around and make an offer. Hopefully by the end of the month, I'll (sorta) have a second bike!

-- Henry Rollins
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, money is being moved around. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up this weekend. I hope the weather holds so I can actually get out and ride it a little.

More pictures if/when I retrieve it.

-- Henry Rollins
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 PM

Garage
Try this if it doesn't work out with the other one:

http://www.cycletrader.com/search-re...ory%7C6772333&

Sure, some of them are a couple hundred over $5000, but some also say OBO.

This one is for $4,876

Or $5,500 for this:

$4,877:

A Victory for $4,895:

Victory 8-Ball for $4,999:

Last edited by Cerberus; 10-10-2016 at 10:32 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, at this point I'm committing to the 1999 V92. As long as someone doesn't snipe it from me before the money transfers, it will be mine.

-- Henry Rollins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page