Patriot Guard - My first ride - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to outdoors4me
Patriot Guard - My first ride

Hey,

I rode with the Patriot Guard Riders for the first time today to honor Pvt. Johnathan Millican. He grew up in a small town outside of Birmingham, AL.

Millican was killed when his patrol was ambushed on Jan 20th.

Folks, you get a reality slap about war when you see a flag draped casket carried in front of you. Whether you're for the war or not, these guys are dying to preserve our free and abundant way of life.

The Patriot Guard is a great way to honor the fallen soldier and his/her family.

Beck

2005 VTX 1300R equiped with Model 2006 Kara Bell.

Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 PM

It IS an Honor, to show our respect for those that Gave All, to try and keep our world a little safer.

1100 Shadow
Any ride is a GREAT ride.
Patriot Guard Rider
Ride bell from Kara

I did not Escape,i'm on a weekend pass.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Thanks for joining and welcome.

We too honored a fallen hero today.
65 dedicated PGR brothers and sisters stood in sub-zero wind chills to honor Cpl Mark Kidd. Rest easy Marine.

We will stand tomorrow for Petty Officer 2nd Class Christopher Will and again on Monday for Spc Brandon Stout.

Please keep all of our brave men and women in your thoughts. They deserve nothing less than our full support.

GoldWing. Nothing else needs be said...
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:57 PM

I saw you folks go by

Beck, I was in my truck on Hwy 11 with my son just as the funeral was ending, and was struck by the absolute air of respect for this young man. He was the same age as my older son. You folks did him proud today. Thanks, Jim Mann
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 AM

Bump, just because everyone needs to think about our men and women serving and let them know we give a damn.

1996 Magna 750
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:54 AM

I have ridden in the patriot guard for about a year now. It is sobering each, and every time. Now that I am in Iraq, I hope none of you end up riding in mine! ----Metalguy

2010 Crossroads.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Patriot

I admire you guys/gals.
Keep up the good work.
Jim

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to outdoors4me
Re: I saw you folks go by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mann
Beck, I was in my truck on Hwy 11 with my son just as the funeral was ending, and was struck by the absolute air of respect for this young man. He was the same age as my older son. You folks did him proud today. Thanks, Jim Mann
Hey Jim,

I guess you were caught up in the traffic. It was quite a visual experience for anyone driving by. And it was an emotional experience to surround the family with hundreds of flags.

In one way, I'm glad that the protesters didn't show up for the families sake. In another way, I kind of wish they had. They would have been dwarfed in number and spirit and would have diminished their purpose - as if they had any.

This being my first ride, and it being COLD, I thought there would be a few other bikers there. There were hundreds!

Beck

2005 VTX 1300R equiped with Model 2006 Kara Bell.

Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM

in oklahoma, we get to see the folks from westboro way too often.

finally, our legislature has stepped up and figured out how to greatly diminish their impact.

i hope to be able to join in with the PG group around here this spring.

It is just one more way that I can express my sincere feelings of appreciation and gratitude towards the men and women who have chosen to put their life on the line for me, so I can continue to express my opinions about the people that have put them in that situation.

please, try remember to honor the living as well. If i'm out eating somewhere (since i don't cook...i eat out quite a bit), and i happen to catch someone in uniform in line or at a table, i buy his/her meal. it's not much, i know, but it's something that shows my appreciation. I fully recognize they are willing to do what i cannot, and for that, i am grateful.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 PM

Services in Washington?

I heard on the news the other night that there were going to be three services for three fallen servicemen in our area (Western Washington) over the weekend and they were slated to be protested by some Baptist group that believes homosexuals are responsible for the war. They are targeting, with megaphones and signs covered in hate messages, military funerals to spew, I mean voice, their opinion.

When asked whether there would be any counterprotest, the reporter said that there was a "motorcycle group" that often showed up at these services to act as a buffer zone for any protests, but he didn't know if any were coming this weekend. I hope they did. I haven't seen any news about it.

Emergency legislation signed a law into effect last week to be enforced immediately preventing any protesters from coming within 500 yards of a service, but I don't think that's far enough away.

2003 Spirit 750 - lowered so that I can plant both feet firmly on the ground
http://www.meriwetherphoto.net
South Sound Honda Motorcycles Meetup Group
http://hondabikes.meetup.com/176/?gj=sj3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page