blue tooth and motorcycles - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to coppertop Send a message via Yahoo to coppertop
blue tooth and motorcycles

just wondering if anybody has tried this plusses and minuses good idea or bad was goibg to get a new cell phone and wanted something useful

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 PM

I use a blue tooth for my cell at work, all day, every day. I'm on the blasted phone so much I'd never get anything done if I had to hold the phone up in my hand.

I'd never ride the bike with the phone on in my ear for completely different reasons.

BUT that said;

The quality of the ear/mouth peice is not up to the road/wind noise. You wouldn't hear a thing, and neither would the person your trying to talk to.

I go through 3 or 4 new blue tooth ear peices a year and have yet to find one that did not have static under the best of conditions and fail totaly in a noisey area, (like the manufacturing plant floor).

I'd skip it if I was you, unless your really, really need to talk while driving a car for work or such, or you live where you have to talk hands free while driving.

I use one only becuse the wires on the wired headsets get caught on stuff and it hurts like all get out when it gets yanked off your head.

1996 VT1100C2 ACE
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:10 PM

I haven't tried using my cell phone on the Valk yet. Not sure that I will ever try it either...but here is another option.

I don't know what cell company you have, I have cingular and recently got their Sync phone. This thing is bluetooth but also a MP3 player. I picked up the headphone adapter for it that allows me to connect any headphones to the phone. The adapter also has a mic on it so I can use it with my headphones to answer calls. I have a pair of earbuds (the ones with the little rubber tips that fit inside your ears) that I have used while riding.

One consideration to using your phone on the bike (other than the obvious safety ones) is wind noise. If you don't have a shield that blocks off a majority of the wind, then your caller will only hear wind noise. No one is going to want to try to talk over the wind noise. Another problem would be pipe noise. Again, unless you are running the stock pipes, all the caller will hear is your pipes.

Hope this gives you something to think about before making your decision.

Joe
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Here is what I do. I also have Cingular as my cellular carrier. I recently purchased a Sony Ericcson w300i phone (I have seen where this phone is now free from them with new service). The phone has a still/video carmera, MP3 player, FM radio, voice answering and voice dialing. I bought a 1GB card off eBay (around $55). It has a corded mic/ear bud set that came with it. I use some Velcro to attached the mic on the inside of my full face helmet. When I get a call the music stops and I can answer by voice. When I want to call someone I just press a button on the mic and then say their name and it calls them. It all works pretty good.

God Bless!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:11 PM

Riding is about taking a break from the rat race, not taking it with you. We rant and rave when we nearly get run down by a soccer mom or teenager on a cell phone. I can't believe one of our own would even consider doing the same. But hey, all the more reason to create a huge new patch......"Cell Phone Riders M/C club".

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to coppertop Send a message via Yahoo to coppertop
well i didnt really think about riding and talking on the phone i was just wanting to here the phone ring pull over and use it. then start heading down the road again after the call but thanks all. Sounds like a plan is hatching.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 02:08 AM

Check out the cardo scala rider - blue tooth made for motorcycle helmets

It supposedly works very well even in the wind. I'll be picking one up this spring. do a search on the forum - it's been discussed thoroughly.

- Dan

"All the gear in the world won't help stupidity." --- Oldbike.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman
Here is what I do. I also have Cingular as my cellular carrier. I recently purchased a Sony Ericcson w300i phone (I have seen where this phone is now free from them with new service). The phone has a still/video carmera, MP3 player, FM radio, voice answering and voice dialing. I bought a 1GB card off eBay (around $55). It has a corded mic/ear bud set that came with it. I use some Velcro to attached the mic on the inside of my full face helmet. When I get a call the music stops and I can answer by voice. When I want to call someone I just press a button on the mic and then say their name and it calls them. It all works pretty good.
I have the same exact phone! I also have a 1GB memory stick micro. I just saw a 2GB memory stick micro the other day. Oh well....

I'm having issues now with the Walkman feature only being compatible with MP3s that are DRM-protected. UGH! The music NOT DRM-protected can only be played via the file manager. I gotta look into a solution for about 60 songs.......

2008 Black Goldwing ABS
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I talked to a Vendor who was heading for Daytonas Bike Week and he said to watch for a new blue tooth headset thats coming out soon. I do not know the manufacturer but he indicated this headset is for bikers.

He explained how I can use the bluetooth headset as a regular cell phone to place calls ( using voice activation ) or set the system up so I can call my wife while we are riding together and use it as an intercom system while she is on her bike.

He said everything will mount inside the helmet and it will be fairly cheap to acquire. I will post more about it when I find the name of the product. Its in the final testing stages at this moment and not available to the public yet.

Chris

‎"There are two theories when it comes to arguing with women and neither one works "
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
The quality of the ear/mouth peice is not up to the road/wind noise. You wouldn't hear a thing, and neither would the person your trying to talk to.
Wrong!
Quote:
Check out the cardo scala rider - blue tooth made for motorcycle helmets

It supposedly works very well even in the wind. I'll be picking one up this spring. do a search on the forum - it's been discussed thoroughly.
Right!
Quote:
He explained how I can use the bluetooth headset as a regular cell phone to place calls ( using voice activation ) or set the system up so I can call my wife while we are riding together and use it as an intercom system while she is on her bike.
Scala-Rider. They also have a new one without the intercom feature but with an FM radio built in.
Quote:
He said everything will mount inside the helmet and it will be fairly cheap to acquire.
That's a matter of perspective; from mine, I wholeheartedly DISAGREE. But there are certainly very expensive alternatives that make it seem cheap.

Art's 1999 Shadow 1100 ACE (Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page