Minimum equipment for long trip? - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post
Water & sunscreen are #1 & #2.

And carry at least one tank-full of CASH."Well, that's too bad to be you then, isn't it?" Then turned her back and walked away..
I am sure that experience sucked but it is funny!

"Anybody can jump a motorcycle.The trouble begins when you try to land it" Evil Knievel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider View Post
I am sure that experience sucked but it is funny!
Thus the reason for my suggestion on page one of this thread. "Enough cash to get you home and a credit card hidden on the bike where nobody can possibly find it but you."

"Stormy" 1997 Valkyrie Tourer - http://s724.photobucket.com/user/Har...eshow/Valkyrie

Ride Bell By OldDad

Last edited by Harryc; 04-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Garage
I pack for a long trip the exact same as a 5 minute trip EXCEPT I take into account the potential weather changes. The biggest time waster is rain (or snow) and wet clothes so if there is a potential for rain take a rainsuit and rubber fold up boots. There is nothing worse than hanging out at a laundromat waiting for someone's jeans to dry because they had no rainsuit.

In October we took a 3 week motorcycle trip in Europe staying in hotels and airbnb: Bavaria, Austria, Italy, Switzerland back to Munich. We saw a lot of riders and interesting fashion compared to North America. Almost everyone we saw was wearing a riding suit. Almost no blue jeans/leather jackets. They wear whatever the day calls for and then, at the bike, put on their riding suit. Sometimes from a saddle bag and sometimes from a backpack. at the end of the ride the riding suit goes back in the bag. Makes sense. MotoCentric Barrier One-Piece Suit - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

G.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Water bottle and a credit card.All the tools you will need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
2 or 3 days you can bring 1 change of outer clothes. Remember you can wear the same outer clothes more than 1 day. Most anything you might need unexpectedly can be bought along the way. Bring a water bottle and a cell phone. 500 miles is not a big trip, Don't over think it. Just have a goof time. This is how my wife and I took long trips. We went from So Cal to Portland Maine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinker View Post
Water & sunscreen are #1 & #2.

And carry at least one tank-full of cash. One of my first longer rides, I ended up on fumes in western Minnesota. I stopped at a Farmer's Co-Op to fill up, but they didn't take credit cards & I had no cash. I told the little old lady behind the counter, "I just need a gallon or so to get to the next town" and she replied, "Well, that's too bad to be you then, isn't it?" Then turned her back and walked away. Ironically, they took checks (which I also didn't have).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb069 View Post
I pack for a long trip the exact same as a 5 minute trip EXCEPT I take into account the potential weather changes. The biggest time waster is rain (or snow) and wet clothes so if there is a potential for rain take a rainsuit and rubber fold up boots. There is nothing worse than hanging out at a laundromat waiting for someone's jeans to dry because they had no rainsuit.

In October we took a 3 week motorcycle trip in Europe staying in hotels and airbnb: Bavaria, Austria, Italy, Switzerland back to Munich. We saw a lot of riders and interesting fashion compared to North America. Almost everyone we saw was wearing a riding suit. Almost no blue jeans/leather jackets. They wear whatever the day calls for and then, at the bike, put on their riding suit. Sometimes from a saddle bag and sometimes from a backpack. at the end of the ride the riding suit goes back in the bag. Makes sense. MotoCentric Barrier One-Piece Suit - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

G.

500 -600 miles shouldn't be any more of a big deal on 2 wheels than if it was the family car. No reason to pack a ton of tools and spare parts. If you think your bike might need all those repairs, then junk it and get something reliable. If you are expecting to do that distance in one day, which is doable, you just won't have much time to do much more than just ride, then all you should need is a bottle of water, credit card and a pocket full of cash. As @jwinker alluded to, sometimes cash is needed. For longer trips, light packing might be needed. On one of my first long trips, San Diego CA to Alaska, I learned real quick about overpacking. I found myself throwing stuff away and mailing stuff home. With that said, I stay in hotels. Typically most I stay at have laundry facilities. 3 days worth of skivvies an extra pair of jeans and rain gear is all I pack as far as clothing. I buy t-shirts along the way. I carry the tool kit that came with the bike with a few additions; needle nose pliers, mini crescent and side cutters. For full disclosure, that's about all I pack when taking my four wheeled vehicle on long distances also except I have a small variety of flashlights, some cargo straps (I drive a pick-up) and there's an old MRE under the back seat somewhere. That's about it. I don't carry electronics or extra parts.

Hope to hear about your trip. What you took, what you wished you took and what you were glad you brought along.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Dave View Post
I always have on board:

Water (never go without water)
Rain gear
Tire plug kit
Small air compressor
Tool kit
Zip ties
Flashlight
Bungee cords and roc straps
Cell phone charger
AAA RV Plus card

I also will try to do a Google search to locate the Honda dealers along or near my intended route and record it in a memo in my phone. The AAA card is much more effective if you know where to tell them to take the bike.
I think this list here is pretty close to what I would now recommend. I would add and extra shirt and possibly pair of jeans.
I just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip to meet @Blueflame last night. I think we both found we packed way more than was needed. I could have almost left a full pack at home. I think @Blueflame would say a cell phone charger is VERY important lol Packing less would have made things a little nicer as well as a lighter bike.

1995 VT1100 Ace
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:06 PM

Garage
This is how I have it figured for a three day ride, without saddle bags. Pack an extra pair of socks in my tool bag, cell phone, charger, pocket knife, cash, and my pistol with an extra mag. On day two, wear socks and underwear inside out, on day three trash underwear and socks and wear fresh socks home.

Join the mission to end veteran suicide! Support Mission22
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 AM

This has been a great read.
I never gave too much thought to a flat tire. I usually ride 200 to 350 with my friends and a flat tire would be a big deal.
Usually we ride on Sundays when my son can ride with me it's his day off of dialysis. So finding an open shop would be near impossible.
Anyway I just got my repair kit and compressor today, they're in my saddle bag from now on.
Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page