I'm thinking about buying a throttle lock... - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikstick View Post
Ok, I got my universal Kuryakyn throttle assist installed. I don't have stock hand-grips and that's why I ordered the universal model. First, they supply 3 sizes of rubber sleeves and none of them fit properly so I took a utility knife and carefully shaved down the inside of the larger one until I got a snug fit. However, I'm not satisfied with this throttle lock! I spent about 30 minutes fine tuning the adjustment screws and here's my take on the unit: It will give your throttle hand a break on long rides, but this is the part I hate--let's say you want to cruise at 60 mph. If you set the lock while you're going 60 mph then there is slippage that occurs (at any speed for that matter) and that is anywhere from 3 mph to 10 mph! In other words, you have to set it at a speed faster than you want to cruise because before it fully locks, there is slippage that occurs that will slow you down and the bumpier the road, the worse the slippage appears to be. I'll use this model until I can afford one of the more expensive ones.
Try adjusting the nut on the locking lever. on mine it is a fine line between holding and not binding when released and slipping. I usually have to give mine a bit of a twist after setting it to get the speed set.

Remember that these are not cruise controls,,,any change in the road grade and you will slow or speed up.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, I'm going to backtrack a bit on my initial review of the Kuryakyn throttle lock. I found out that you can force the throttle up or down a little while it is locked (thanks for the tip Phantom) and this allows you to precisely maintain a constant speed on a level road. I took a nice long ride today and I started bonding with the throttle lock. Heck, for $32 bucks you can't go wrong. As Phantomrider64 stated, there is a fine line between getting the adjustment screw too tight and causing the throttle not to release when disengaged and not getting it tight enough to lock, but when you find that sweet spot, it's OK. I still plan on getting the BrakeAway throttle lock, but I can bide my time now.

Current bikes: 03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R (slightly modded 208 RWHP)
1999 Tomos Sprint A35 moped
Previous bikes: Honda CT70
Honda SL100
Suzuki TS125
Suzuki 500 Titan
Yamaha RD 350 (slightly modded)
Honda CB750
Kawasaki KLX 110L

Last edited by rikstick; 07-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Model: VT750CA Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
These guys sell the electric one posted above: Mag Throttle Store, but DAMN! Their markup is substantial!

Trinity my 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

I'm nobodies slave, I'm nobodies master,
Time is mine, morning, night, and afternoon...
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Model: VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikstick View Post
Ok, I got my universal Kuryakyn throttle assist installed. I don't have stock hand-grips and that's why I ordered the universal model. First, they supply 3 sizes of rubber sleeves and none of them fit properly so I took a utility knife and carefully shaved down the inside of the larger one until I got a snug fit. However, I'm not satisfied with this throttle lock! I spent about 30 minutes fine tuning the adjustment screws and here's my take on the unit: It will give your throttle hand a break on long rides, but this is the part I hate--let's say you want to cruise at 60 mph. If you set the lock while you're going 60 mph then there is slippage that occurs (at any speed for that matter) and that is anywhere from 3 mph to 10 mph! In other words, you have to set it at a speed faster than you want to cruise because before it fully locks, there is slippage that occurs that will slow you down and the bumpier the road, the worse the slippage appears to be. I'll use this model until I can afford one of the more expensive ones.
i purchased one as well. installed it this weekend and i am having trouble finding my sweet spot. it either binds my throttle while not engaged or doesnt hold tight enough while engaged. obviously i have it turned down light enough that it doesnt bind my throttle. it gives me about 5 seconds of usage while engaged before it lets go. not a big deal at normal speeds but if i am on the highway it will really slow me down quickly.

KCCO!!!
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Reading here that it is slipping and decreasing grip...
My conclusion is that the components MAY BE dirty??
Try cleaning both gripping surfaces well before use...
Fingers have oily fingerprints,
D

I dunno???

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Model: VT750DC
Year: 2003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain D" View Post
Reading here that it is slipping and decreasing grip...
My conclusion is that the components MAY BE dirty??
Try cleaning both gripping surfaces well before use...
Fingers have oily fingerprints,
D

I dunno???
definitely worth a shot. once i wasnt able to find the sweet spot i completely uninstalled and reinstalled making sure i did everything right to no avail. thanks for the advice, post how i make out.

KCCO!!!
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:09 AM

The Kuryakyn throttle assist can take a little time to wear in but their big advantage is their cheap.

You always get what you pay for no matter how often we try to deceive ourselves otherwise.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:11 AM

When I had the Kury TL it was a bit "catchy" using it. I added a small flat washer under the spring to keep the spring base from getting caught. All in all I thought the product was cheaply made and sold it and stayed with my Throttle Boss.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshoe3 View Post
i purchased one as well. installed it this weekend and i am having trouble finding my sweet spot. it either binds my throttle while not engaged or doesnt hold tight enough while engaged. obviously i have it turned down light enough that it doesnt bind my throttle. it gives me about 5 seconds of usage while engaged before it lets go. not a big deal at normal speeds but if i am on the highway it will really slow me down quickly.
When I first set mine I set it to bind the throttle a bit but it held when engaged. Since then I have noticed that it has worn in a bit, does not bind as much but still holds. I also noticed the other day that when engaging the lock it reduces the throttle setting just a tad, so I always set it with just a tad more throttle and it works out well.

I do not use mine much. Just to let me relax and move my arm around, I have bursitis in my right shoulder.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
#4copper is what I used to make my "Throttle Boss" ,"Throttle assist" or "Wrist Saver" device...
I call it my "Redneck Cruise Control"

Two wraps around the grip with 3" hanging out to rest the palm of the had on...

Works for me!
At NO Expen$e,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page