God help me... - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Garage
Hey @firehawk look at these H D's before you buy one, I think these might be on sale!

Most Badass Harley Davidson Motorcycles [SLID | The Daily Caller

2005 Shadow Sabre 1100
2005 GL1800 Trike

Ride Bell Provided by Gnarly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:49 AM

Model: Aero 1100
Year: 2000
I say don't do it. Save yourself the anguish, buyer's remorse, and the pain and suffering of having it in the shop and bills thereof.

I love Harleys, but as a former Harley rider, I'd say why not try something similar but more reliable. How about a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700? They're very nice, powerful, reliable, less expensive and have that wonderful rumble. They also come in some great colors. If you really want the Harley, then get it, but check out some of the recent posts on this forum from others who have gone to Milwaukee with bad experiences. Another choice is to go with a real motorcycle, American style. Check out the Indians. Extremely reliable, silky smooth operation, great looks, and a lot of different color choices. Since you're looking at a Sporty, check out the Scout line.

I recently enjoyed Demo Days from my local HD dealer, and really really like the Road King. That Road King was very tempting, but then I thought about payments on a $23K bike and my past experiences with HD. Granted my experiences were back in the day with a 1950 Panhead, and a 1969 Sportster, but I can still taste the bitterness. I loved those bikes, and loved all the shenanigans that went along with them, but in the end, Metric bikes have provided a vastly different experience. My older Shadow 1100's are a bit more nimble, lighter, have plenty of power, and in the case of my Aero, have that wonderful Rumble. They haven't left me on the side of the road, they haven't emptied my wallet, and they're complimented as much as the Harleys.

One of my friends recently moved his Harley up to his weekend property, and took it in for service before the move. Service and whatever cost him over $2K, and his wife doesn't ride her Fat Boy any more. So, he's going to ride that one around town and discovered it too needed some service. That was over $1100. He said to me that his over 30 year relationship with Harley is over, and he's going to buy an Indian. Another argument is air cooling vs liquid cooling. I live in a very congested area, and when stuck in traffic (such as a recent gridlock in a tunnel that goes under SF Bay) my radiator fan kept going on. I remember riding in the desert with my old Sporty, and if the weather wasn't hot enough, the heat coming off the engine was very unpleasant.

I've tried to point out some valid considerations to talk you out of your pending foolishness. Have I succeeded?

Seriously, HD produces some beautiful bikes. Their designs are ancient, but improving with innovations like the Milwaukee 8 motor, much better brakes than in the past, oil coolers etc. The new suspension on the larger bikes like the Road King is wonderful. Still those improvements have been around on other brands for years....even decades, and at much lower cost.

By the way, that blue bike looks nifty.

Why is there never time to do it right, but always time to do it twice?
2000 Aero 1100
2002 Sabre 1100
1981 Virago 750

Last edited by w6wat; 07-16-2017 at 12:53 AM.
post #33 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6wat View Post
I say don't do it. Save yourself the anguish, buyer's remorse, and the pain and suffering of having it in the shop and bills thereof.

I love Harleys, but as a former Harley rider, I'd say why not try something similar but more reliable. How about a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700? They're very nice, powerful, reliable, less expensive and have that wonderful rumble. They also come in some great colors. If you really want the Harley, then get it, but check out some of the recent posts on this forum from others who have gone to Milwaukee with bad experiences. Another choice is to go with a real motorcycle, American style. Check out the Indians. Extremely reliable, silky smooth operation, great looks, and a lot of different color choices. Since you're looking at a Sporty, check out the Scout line.

I recently enjoyed Demo Days from my local HD dealer, and really really like the Road King. That Road King was very tempting, but then I thought about payments on a $23K bike and my past experiences with HD. Granted my experiences were back in the day with a 1950 Panhead, and a 1969 Sportster, but I can still taste the bitterness. I loved those bikes, and loved all the shenanigans that went along with them, but in the end, Metric bikes have provided a vastly different experience. My older Shadow 1100's are a bit more nimble, lighter, have plenty of power, and in the case of my Aero, have that wonderful Rumble. They haven't left me on the side of the road, they haven't emptied my wallet, and they're complimented as much as the Harleys.

One of my friends recently moved his Harley up to his weekend property, and took it in for service before the move. Service and whatever cost him over $2K, and his wife doesn't ride her Fat Boy any more. So, he's going to ride that one around town and discovered it too needed some service. That was over $1100. He said to me that his over 30 year relationship with Harley is over, and he's going to buy an Indian. Another argument is air cooling vs liquid cooling. I live in a very congested area, and when stuck in traffic (such as a recent gridlock in a tunnel that goes under SF Bay) my radiator fan kept going on. I remember riding in the desert with my old Sporty, and if the weather wasn't hot enough, the heat coming off the engine was very unpleasant.

I've tried to point out some valid considerations to talk you out of your pending foolishness. Have I succeeded?

Seriously, HD produces some beautiful bikes. Their designs are ancient, but improving with innovations like the Milwaukee 8 motor, much better brakes than in the past, oil coolers etc. The new suspension on the larger bikes like the Road King is wonderful. Still those improvements have been around on other brands for years....even decades, and at much lower cost.

By the way, that blue bike looks nifty.
Oh sure. Just when we had him fully committed to middle aged crazy the voice of logic and reason has to come along and bring him down to earth.Sorry Kim, maybe another day.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #34 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY View Post
What are we, mice or men? Just get it, tell her you got it and that’s the end of it.

If she throws a fit, tell her that you are the boss, to go get you a cold beer so you can take a nap and she should be happy you just might not replace her as well.

This works for me.

Why do we call it a "Fridge", when "Refrigerator" doesn't have a "D"?

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #35 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
You guys have been no help convincing me not to.

Don't know, maybe I received a sign, the dealer sold the purple one they had so I couldn't even look at one. Oh well, more time to save up for a bigger down payment. I'm sure Harley has plenty of them around...

Of course I'm still working on the, Honey I know I just paid the Shadow off a couple of months ago but... it's blue... and it's um...
Since there is no picture (thanks Photobucket), I am of no help telling you what to do or not to do.
post #36 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Since there is no picture (thanks Photobucket), I am of no help telling you what to do or not to do.
Just go ahead and convince him to buy a new bike! That's what MOST of us have done!

It's not like we have to pay his bills or explain it to his wife!
@firehawk maybe you could explain to your better half that you got the new bike for her!
(never works at my house but you never know!)

2005 Shadow Sabre 1100
2005 GL1800 Trike

Ride Bell Provided by Gnarly

Last edited by KCochran; 07-16-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #37 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well people, I found a dealer on Indy's northside that has two Superlows, a black one and a blue one. So I rode up and looked it over and actually sat on it and kinda liked it. She tried to get me to take a test ride but seeing I'm not doing anything for a while, I didn't want to get all tangled up in the sales mumbo jumbo/paperwork crap just to have them get all pissy when it's over and I tell them again, I was just looking. Finally convinced her I was just LOOKING today.

The 'deal' they've got going is, they have the blue one priced the same as the black one, so that knocks off $350. It's all going to come down to how the bike rides. If it's sprung as stiff as my son's Iron, no thanks...

2017 Harley Davidson SuperLow

post #38 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 04:59 PM

As a former Harley sales guy, just know that any Harley dealer can get you the bike you want. Just because they may not have one in stock means nothing. I could always get any bike within 48 hours, but usually less than 24.

The test ride only requires a copy of your insurance card, ID, and a short form filled out (at least that is what we did). Go ahead and test ride it...ride it a few times on different days. Most Harley sales people are there to help, and aren't pushy...or at least shouldn't be. I've never seen one, and we were taught not to be. We were just there to answer your questions and help you along to the right bike.

Just Ride...

post #39 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
It's all going to come down to how the bike rides. If it's sprung as stiff as my son's Iron, no thanks...

Suspension can be adjusted/ changed.

Just Ride...

post #40 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theja1 View Post
As a former Harley sales guy, just know that any Harley dealer can get you the bike you want. Just because they may not have one in stock means nothing. I could always get any bike within 48 hours, but usually less than 24.

The test ride only requires a copy of your insurance card, ID, and a short form filled out (at least that is what we did). Go ahead and test ride it...ride it a few times on different days. Most Harley sales people are there to help, and aren't pushy...or at least shouldn't be. I've never seen one, and we were taught not to be. We were just there to answer your questions and help you along to the right bike.

Oh I know, the dealer got my son's Iron in the color he wanted the next business day. Guess I should have asked if that price only applies to the bikes they actually have in stock now or not. Can't see why it would as I'm sure Harley wants to begin moving the remaining 2017 models as the 2018 bikes usually come out late fall as far as I know.

I've been contacted by the dealer already this afternoon, discussed financing etc... It's doable, as I said it will come down to how the bike rides, and if I really really want to go for it. They weren't really pushy at all, from the saleswoman to the finance guy they all seem to be fairly nice easy going people. I will take a test ride sometime this week.

2017 Harley Davidson SuperLow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page