New member, new bike, new problems - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

New member, new bike, new problems

Hi there folks,
I recently completed the MSF beginners course and bough tmy first bike, a 2007 Sabre. I've put in some decent mileage, but performed a maneuver yesterday that could have been painful if another car was coming the other way.
-
I was approaching a right turn. It is one of those that is greater than 90 degree angle, more like 110. It took it too hot and went WAY into the other lane of travel. Learned a lesson there, I hope. Went and bought "Proficient Motorcycling" but it was kind of rainy today and I didn't ride.
-
Anyway, thanks for all of the info that I see on these boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 PM

Model: Sabre
Year: 2002
Garage
My best suggestion is that any turn you can't see thru then you better get slowed down, some of them can be real killers, good thing to learn now and not later....congrats on the new ride and completing the MSF course, just remember what they taught you, don't never and I mean never ride above your comfort level, trust me you will live longer and happier.

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/eldo....jpg.html?o=11
"John" 2002 Sabre
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider Chapter 84
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:09 AM

You learned a pretty valuable lesson Stone. Fortunately without hurting either yourself or the bike. I suspect we've all had some pucker moments at one time or another but we learn from them and in the end become better riders. Eldorado has given some good advice.

Les - Woody Journal Rider #75

2009 Harley Lowrider and 2007 350Z
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado
don't never and I mean never ride above your comfort level, trust me you will live longer and happier.
-
This was the crux of my problem. There was a car following me very closely and I just wanted to turn off and get out of his way. Just gotta get over the nerves.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 AM

I had a similer problem, up here in alaska theres still a lot of gravel on some of the roads, i was going to get onto the onramp of the freeway and there was a lot of gravel so i got nerves and didnt lean into the turn , i ended up just off the side of the road, i was only in first so i wasn't worried about hurting anyone, just felt dumb..., but i get better on the side of the road then the bike being on its side i guess.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

I think the majority of us have gotten into a curve a little to hot at one time or another sand grabbed some leather with our butts. It sounds like you learned a good lesson.

One thing you never want to allow - and that is allow someone else to rush you. Drive at your own comfort level and speed and let the jerks that are in a hurry find a way around you or learn to grow some patience.

Glad everything came out OK.

Chris

‎"There are two theories when it comes to arguing with women and neither one works "
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 AM

I had problems with right turns at first. One, the angle is tighter than a left (though a left turn has its own challenges). But more importantly, I would consistently misjudge my speed. So I would go into the turn a little hot. I'm getting better at it, but that's only through more experience and a deliberate focus on executing right turns more carefully.

chornbe (and others) have made this point consistently -- just because we've gone through the MSF and done a little practicing in a parking lot, it doesn't make us experts. That comes only if we act with focused intent to improve our skills. Practicing a bad habit a hundred times simply makes me better at that bad habit. I need to learn and practice better riding skills.

Having a clear eye about what areas of riding we are weak at is a good thing. I applaud your raising this question ... and your focus and intent to get better.

Bike: 2007 Goldwing
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Banned

I'm on my way out the door so this won't be terribly detailed.

1 - slow down. This is obvious.

2 - Have faith; I'm not talking about church here. You need to build trust and faith that the bike will do it. The Sabre will do it. I rode a Sabre for a lot of miles in some pretty hairy riding - keeping up with my sport bike buddies. I can say this from a position of absolute, first-hand experience: the Sabre will handle *any* turn you're likely to find on the roads. The reason I bought the bike is because it's got the best lean angle and ground clearance of any low-seated cruiser out there.

3 - lean INTO the turn to minimize the bike's lean angle and to leave more room for leaning if you have to.

4 - look, look, LOOK thru (or as far thru as possible) the turn

5 - give a little bit of throttle

6 - do *NOT* take your eye off the tiger (or exit point, in this case). Adjust your vision, constantly following your exit point. This is *NOT* the time to go sight-seeing.

7 - did I mention having faith that the bike will do it? Your motorcycle is designed to take turns that would scare the crap out of normal riders. The RIDER is the limiting factor in 99.99999% of all "oh ****" moments.

8 - none of this is a criticism of you at all. We all have these weaknesses to varying degrees. Thus, ongoing rider training. Frankly, practicing in a parking lot without knowing *what* to practice just builds and reinforces bad techniques more often than not.

9 - I strongly, strongly suggest something like http://www.leeparksdesign.com/miscpage_002.asp. Books are great, but coached instruction is a great way to get pointers on, and put polish and experience on, what the books teach you.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Those are all great tips as usual chornbe

Most newer riders have trouble remembering to look where they want to go in turns... they seem to stare just ahead of the front tire, and then the turn becomes wider than they want it to be. Remember to turn your head and look well ahead of where you are when you turn and the bike will assist your turn rather than fight it They do teach that in the MSF class, but you really need to keep practiing it until it becomes second nature. It truly makes turning much more efficient.

Cliff
1986 Shadow VT500C
2007 Yamaha V Star 1300
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 AM

I used to look through the turn, didnt work for me cause I am a bull head. I kept glancing back to where I was pointed instead of where I wanted to be, and..... I cut turns wide.

Point where you want to be..... with your chin ..... lift it and give the superman chin towards your exit point, then you cant look anywhere else with your head locked up and in the one direction.

Do it exaggerated, as in locking you neck muscles, on a few curves you know and the bike will follow. After a few you will get real used to looking at where you want to be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page