Anyone here camp??? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Anyone here camp???

Is anyone here ever go on overnight camping trips?
I am looking at going to some Bike Rallies and staying overnight,
I am wondering what type small packable tent I would need?
Any thoughts?
dkight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 AM

The smaller the better. I use a 2-man dome. Packing the tent isn't much of a problem, but getting all the gear when two-up is a puzzle.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 AM

We go for week long trips

But not two up. I take a Eureka Tetragon 7 ( 7 x 7 ), I take an inflatable mattress, the inflator, groundcloth, and pillow, all packed into a carry bag/duffle type bag, which ties easily across the passenger seat. The sleeping bag fits in a waterproof stuff sack, which ties onto the duffle bag securly. The other camping items, clothes, fit into the travel bag latched to the luggage rack. I look like a family of four when I go, but it works. Jim
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Garage
Bit of a loaded question, hey
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 03:55 PM

if you do any overnight hiking , its much the same, theres so many lightweight tents that fit two or even three anymore and pack down to a farily small size, its really a matter of how much your willing to rough it, or if you need your creature comforts. For me i just take my overnight pack and stuff it like i would hiking for a day or two, and then bungee it onto my bike.,
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 07:59 PM
rmw

I think tents are a bit like wives and GF's, everyone has different tastes. One bit of advice is to avoid tents that are advertised as waterproof. Better tents come with seperate rain flys, the waterproof ones are miserable with zilch ventilation and water condensation on the inside of them is really bad.

Also, if you are going solo, avoid the 1 person tents unless you like things tight. If you are traveling with another person, always go at least 1-2 person size more. This allows for some room in the tent. for gear. I also like a tent with some head room, so the tetra's get my vote. Getting dressed bent over like a pretzel is a pain to me. I spent two days stuck in bad weather in a dinky little solo tent, couln't even sit up....never again.

Be sure to get a ground cloth. Self inflating mattresses are the way to go. I don't use a bag in the summer, just some sheets and a small stuff pillow. Oh, and try to replace fiberglass poles with aluminum ones.

Best and Ride Safe
Rick

Dearly Departed 2004 Sabre...RIP
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Re: Anyone here camp???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkight
Is anyone here ever go on overnight camping trips?
I am looking at going to some Bike Rallies and staying overnight,
I am wondering what type small packable tent I would need?
Any thoughts?
dkight
Since I was two. Months.

Lots of good places to shop. Try REI, LL Bean, and Campmor. Buy a decent tent that will last a few years and not leak. Eureka, REI, Bean, Kelty, North Face are good brands.

Don't forget a good pad and bag.

I take groups out every year and have to deal with those who bring cheap tents, and therefore wet sleeping bags.

Have fun,
Satyr

'04 Shadow Aero 750
Woody Rider #12

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." - Edgar Allan Poe
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 01:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to MrRngr94 Send a message via MSN to MrRngr94 Send a message via Yahoo to MrRngr94
I'm hoping to go camping this weekend. I have a 14'x20' tent, so it's kinda like just staying in a hotel room with nylon walls. lol

1998 Aero 1100
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 AM

I've got a "two-person" tube tent.
It seems just about big enough for just one person.

When I get a new one I'll go for a 2-3 person dome tent instead.

My 2-person is a decent tent, seperate rainfly, goes up easy, stays dry...

But, I like to keep my boots, and clothing-bag, any electronic gadgets, my hatchet, my pistol and a few other things in the tent with me overnight instead of out on the bike.

I can manage with my current tent but it would be nicer to have more room so the extra items can be in the tent with me without touching the tent-walls or too close to me either.

The 2-person tube tent rolls up into about 6"x22".

-K
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

I cannot give you any advice on tents. I did all the camping I ever wanted to do in the Marine Corps and gave up tents and switched to a Hilton on wheels. But one thing I can give you advice on is that some camp grounds are starting to ban bikers from their parks because of excessive noise from loud pipes on bikes.

I would be sure to check ahead of time before heading to any CG. Also, with the busy travel season just about to hit us all, there is no guarantee there will be any spaces available.

I was PO'ed when we got a free VIP guest pass to a gorgeous resort. We had planned on taking our motorcoach and bikes with us to have a nice vacation riding our bikes. Turns out this place banned ALL motorcycles from their resort. Not just loud ones, all of them.

Its assinine and what they should be doing is when the hot dogs come in with noisy loud pipes, they should just turn them away and tell them to hit the road. Instead they are stereotyping all motorcycles and banning the whole bunch.

Loud pipes may save lives but its starting to effect us quieter bikers in some of our pursuits.

Chris

‎"There are two theories when it comes to arguing with women and neither one works "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page