Have you ever had a scare that turned out to be unwarranted? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Have you ever had a scare that turned out to be unwarranted?

I was on my way to my kid's house this morning before work and I was traveling down a 2-laner at 55 mph (the posted speed limit). As I got to about a qtr mile from a residential side street that was perpendicular to my right, a black Saturn sedan approached the stop sign. Coming the opposite way on my road was a large dump truck.

I immediately covered my brakes as I got closer, but it quickly became apparent that the timing was going to be such that the truck would clear the side road probably a hundred feet before I did - giving that Saturn the chance to scoot out quickly in front of me. So I started scrubbing off speed. As the truck cleared and I got REAL close, I could see a) not only was the dufus not looking in my direction (still scanning the road behind the truck, but b) was blabbering on the cell phone planted in his left ear. This really alarmed me (OK - scared me a bit) and I got on the brakes pretty hard - dropping from maybe 45-50 down to 25 in a flash. I was actually still slowing and (fortunately) had some stopping distance and braking traction left when he finally swung his head around to spot me. I'm sure he thought I was a nutcase for slowing down so much, but frankly I don't give a rat's ass (no offense, rat ) what he thought. The timing and circumstances was just one of those 'perfect storm' moments where you can envision a bad scenario being possible, maybe even likely.

I guess if there's any moral to the story, it's that you really never can be too careful when it comes to anticipating other drivers' moves. If the same thing happened all over again - I wouldn't have changed a thing. Had that guy goosed the throttle and I not slowed? I'd be a spot on his driver's door and another on the asphalt about 50 feet down the road.

Did I offend anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM

Garage
There are no green lights in my world when I'm on a bike. They are all yellow. So the answer is every intersection. And for any left turner I slow way down and pick an exit.

Rarely ride like I drive.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 AM

The only time I get really scared riding is when I fail to account for something. When my brain is on and I'm seeing everything I usually don't have close calls.

What has been on my mind lately is to be in your situation with a guy turning out in front of you and the person he is talking to tailgating you.

A smart remark is the most effective means of birth control. Paulie

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 AM

well sadly i have alot of pucker moments, but to tell you the truth all i have learned here has saved my rear a few times. most the advice iv read here has been put to the test out on the road . well thanx all

XoticX custom vinyl graphics
mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but mama thats where the fun is
03 spirit
03 spirit
ride bell by KARA
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 AM

I am always on guard...
I think with me being watchful and reading the other drivers, maybe just maybe I have changed the way things play out.
Like coming to an intersection and scrubbing speed while flashing my high beam, If I wasn't then I think there is a higher chance that car, or tuck might have come out.

so It might just look unwarranted when in fact you changed the course of what was happening.

I would rather have it turn out unwarranted then look back and say dang I had a feeling they were going to do that.....

"Buying the bike was the cheap part"
Never argue with some one who knows howe to sppell check.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:13 PM

Good call aero, better safe than scarred, splattered, and scattered.

hmmm, I suddenly have a craving for Waffle House......

2006 VT1100C2 "Donkey"

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Not traffic related but scary nonetheless. One night when I was a kid I got really mad at my mom and dad over some inconsequential thing. I went in my bedroom and grabbed my leather motorcycle coat, gloves, leather helmet, goggles and a scarf. I stomped out of the house to my little Harley Hummer (a 125cc 2 stroke bike). Got all my gear on and wrapped the scarf around my nose and mouth, pulled down the goggles, fired up and road away. It was a cold but moonlit night and I started down a stretch of country road ala Marlon Brando in The Wild One. The moon was behind me and I glanced down at my left rear view mirror and realized there was some really nasty, big eyed something on the bike behind me. I nearly jumped off the bike and was slowing fast when I realized I had bumped the mirror and I was seeing my own reflection in it. I know my heart almost stopped and I'm surprised I didn't have to change underwear. That would have been sometime around 1953 when I lived in Rogers, Arkansas.

Les - Woody Journal Rider #75

2009 Harley Lowrider and 2007 350Z
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Aero,

Your fears were well founded and your actions were evasive and controlled......best of both worlds. It is the ability to recognize the potential for a bad situation and acting on it that keeps us on two wheel.

Also if you hadn't slowed down the guy may have looked right past you, as you may have blended into the dump truck, and pulled out.....

There are bold riders and there are old riders but there are no old, bold riders.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 PM

I'd say you did a good job. You couldn't see the driver until after that truck passed and by breaking you did the right thing. It's what you don't see that will kill you.

I would rather see you scared and safe than brave and ...

2007 Aero
Woody's Journal Rider #94
Patriot Guard Rider #80577
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
The moon was behind me and I glanced down at my left rear view mirror and realized there was some really nasty, big eyed something on the bike behind me. I nearly jumped off the bike and was slowing fast when I realized I had bumped the mirror and I was seeing my own reflection in it.
OMG!! Thank you *SO MUCH* for the laff. I needed it.

2003 Spirit 750 - lowered so that I can plant both feet firmly on the ground
http://www.meriwetherphoto.net
South Sound Honda Motorcycles Meetup Group
http://hondabikes.meetup.com/176/?gj=sj3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page