Trinity's Own Thread - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Model: VT750CA Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
Well the final upgrade for the year was installed last night. My feet were freezing during my morning rides. Lots of reading led me to conclude that the best solution, without spending mega bucks on heated socks, was to get a set of the Desert Dawgs Rain/Wind deflectors. Amazon had them the cheapest, so I ordered from them.

Unfortunately for me, their installation meant I had to move my LED lights. I left them on the crash bar, just moved them inwards closer to the bars top mounting point. This turned out to be a good thing as I was able to better aim them in that location.

The deflectors were a tight fit over the bar, but they will stretch out a bit more over time. I got the plain jane version, so they don't add anything to the looks of the bike. Due to the LED lights I could not slide the top all the way over against the mounting point. This resulted in a few wrinkles.

So how do they work? Well this is a mixed report. They DO keep the wind off my feet. It was 28 degrees this morning for my ride into work and I purposefully only put on a thin pair of socks instead of my usual thin pair with thick socks over them. My left foot got just a tiny bit cool, the right was warm as toast. Without the deflectors I would have had frozen feet. That's the good news...

The bad news:

First, I about froze to death due to my core getting COLD! So what changed? Airflow! The wind is now deflected inwards toward the engine, and upwards toward my arms and chest. Where the wind shield used to block all that off, the deflectors now defeat part of that. I wear a long sleeve shirt, hoody, then a heavy winter coat. I have ridden in temps down to 27 degrees so far and NEVER got my core cold until this morning.

Second, I immediately noticed more drag on the bike at speeds up to 60 MPH. Once I hit the interstate for my 3 mile run at 70 MPH, the buffeting was much worse. It was so bad that it was causing me to move around in my lane. There is no doubt that my mileage will suffer from installing these.

So I traded cold feet for a cold core. I think I would rather have cold feet!

I wonder if installing lower deflectors on the fork tubes would re-direct the wind away from the Desert Dawgs so I don't get so much wind on me? Anyone with those care to comment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171121_183408W.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	234794  

Trinity my 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

I'm nobodies slave, I'm nobodies master,
Time is mine, morning, night, and afternoon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:34 PM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
Lowers will deflect the turbulence that otherwise fills the vacuum behind the windshield as designed, so on, but with the Desert Dawgs in the equation, well, it's not the same equation. You will have to guinea pig this or rent a wind tunnel. That said, in the pic, those are oem brackets for the auxiliary lights. I believe they're only available on Shadow Aeros, and haven't seen them even on other bike brands, nor aftermarket stock. Albeit, the Aero's turn signal assembly wouldn't allow space for the typical lightbar. It still beats having to bolt on a lightbar to plop on auxiliary lights. Generally, I don't stray off topic.

2007 Honda Shadow 600

Last edited by RONW; 11-22-2017 at 05:39 PM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I removed the Desert Dawgs and they are for sale. Good deal for someone if you have a Cobra 01-1118 crash bar and a Honda Shadow! $30.00 off!
https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/79-...eflectors.html

I am going to look into either boot covers to keep my feet warmer and dry, or possibly making some type of "feet shields". I played around yesterday and it may be possible to create a deflector that fits inside the Cobra bar that angles DOWN and OUT instead of UP and IN like the Dawgs do.

I also ordered a pair of hand grips with the throttle boss extension, a set of heated grip warmers to go in them, and a pair of external battery heated gloves. Under $100.00 on Wish. The gloves supposedly heat BOTH sides of your hands, not just the back and I can make an adapter that would allow me to
plug them into the bikes battery if needed for longer than 4 hour rides. They won't be in until late December so I will just have to suffer until then! Of course it has been up in the 60's here in KY for the last week for daytime highs so I'm not frostbit yet!

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Can you say CHRISTMAS IN MAY???

My work has finally slowed down enough that I could spend the three gift certificates I got for Christmas. They were all for Revzilla so I jumped on their site and started drooling. After many hours of deciding, talking to the wife and taking measurements, I finally made my choices.

First off for the bike we have this: Mustang Wide Touring seat/pillion with back rest!
When I first sat on it I was like," What is all the fuss about? It feels just as hard as the OEM Honda seat. I was disappointed to say the least. I called the wife out to judge, because one thing I had noticed, was that the pillion was huge compared to the OEM. Sure enough she sat on it and was like, " Oh Yeah!" Well OK, maybe I could just keep the pillion and return the main seat... Wife says, "Take it for a ride before you do that". So I did...

NOW I see what all the fuss is about! The backrest made all the difference in the world! Once I got my butt print in the seat, it felt better. It is a tad wider at the front and it sits me back a bit more. I always felt like I was sliding into the tank with the OEM seat. My lower back is way better supported by the rear seat hump and back rest! The ride into work this morning proved that yes this was a GREAT investment!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180510_171529W.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	250817   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_165951W.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	250825  

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Christmas in May continued...

Next up we have something to compliment the new seat: Kuryakyn Long Horn Highway Pegs!

Research showed that these things were built like tanks and could be adjusted to fit anyone.
I quickly mounted them where I thought I would like them, then retired for the night.

This morning I rode into work and discovered two things: I am going to love these , and where I have them is not going to work.

I have them too close to the shifter and brake pedal. A couple of times I hit the highway mount instead of the brake and did the same trying to shift. I need to raise them up about an inch and will probably rotate them forward just a bit as well.

I brought the tools with me and will move them at lunch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180510_171842W.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	250833  

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

OK that took care of the bike...

Now for the rider.

Wife has been complaining every since I got Trinity that I needed better riding gear. (Doesn't help I tell her everything that happens to me when riding. and she knows about my short fuse.) So she got me a gift certificate for Revzilla and told me I HAD to buy riding gear with it. Sure honey, no problem!

Like many, I have researched until my eyes crossed trying to find that perfect for me deal. I ride year around so wanted a three maybe four season jacket and pants. @Coop had me convinced that the Terra Fly 4 was the jacket to get and I added it to my cart. I then looked at the pants Terra fly pants offered. That's when I discovered that few non-leather pants have any real slide protection. That got me looking at other options. Again few offerings for truly durable pants that offered slide protection, and water proofness.

After much looking with my limited Goggle-fu, The Olympia Moto X 2 pants were the only pants I could find that had EVERYTHING I was looking for. 600 Denier Cordura outer shell with 2000 Denier reinforcements in the knees and butt. That would protect my ass in a slide! Full length zippers, water proof pockets, knee armor, hip pads (replaceable with armor) and the best part, a removable inner waterproof liner that can be worn OVER the pants or inside the pants. Then I discovered these things have HUGE airflow vents that can be unzipped to expose mesh panels! Sold! Then I looked at the price... Holy Cow! Guess I better start playing the lottery...

Then I remembered the wife and her paranoia about me sliding down the asphalt...Hmmm... I showed her the pants explained all about the armor and all that, and she said, "Well if it will protect you and get you home safe, buy them! Now what about your jacket? Does it have all that protection built in too?" I pulled up the Fly Terra 4 to show her. We soon figured out that while it offers a lot, it is not as tough as the pants are. So that got me (us), looking at the Olympia jackets. The matching jacket for the pants is the Dakar 2. It has TWO removable liners. A thermal liner and a water proof liner that, like the pants waterproof liner, can be worn inside the jacket or over the jacket. Also like the pants, HUGE vents everywhere. Elbow armor, shoulder armor and a back pad (upgradeable to true armor).

Short story, the wife approved the purchase of both the pants and the jacket, BUT it will be this years Christmas present! I can live with that!

The set came in last night and I spent the evening trying to figure out all the stuff. I plan to do a full review on these later.

I rode into work this morning with both the jacket and pants and wow does that jacket flow some air! I removed both jacket liners as it is going into the 80's today but left the liner in the pants as it had rained this morning and the roads were still wet. Got to get the pants hemmed as they are about 4" too long but Olympia took that into account in the design.

See pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180511_110917W.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	250841   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_111457W.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	250849  

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Been slacking off on updating my own thread!

I just installed a new set of Shinko whitewall tires front and rear. 777 HD whitewall on the back size 140/80-15 and 777 standard whitewall size on the front. See my tire thread for details. Trinity can now turn easily again and they look great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4062W.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	261534  

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Out of order but I also installed a set of the cheap E-Bay wind deflectors in an attempt to keep my hands warm. They work OK for the money but there are better ways to keep your hands warm as you will see in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4048T.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	261536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4049T.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	261538  

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have read so many threads about keeping your hands warm. One would think that heated gloves would by far be the best way to to do this right? Well if the heated gloves didn't cost $200.00 for a good set that might be the case. The cheap Wish gloves I ended up with only cost $35.00! However there was a trade off: Even though I order the Xtra Large they are too small for my hands and I get cramps by the time I am only part way to work. Plus they are NOT windproof and on days when it is below 35 they just cannot keep up. When combined with the wind deflectors mentioned above, they did pretty good but still had the cramps.

Then I found a adventure site where a guy had ridden up into Alaska and had tried everything including handlebar muffs to keep his hands warm. He finally installed heated grips and when combined with the wind deflectors and a good pair of gloves his problem was solved!

So, when I was ordering tires, I found that Revzilla had the Oxford Intelligent Heated grips for $99.00 and splurged and bought them.

They have a controller that allows several heat settings from warm to blistering and auto detects when the bike is not running and shuts themselves off.
Read about my review and installation here: Oxford Heated Grips Installation and Review

So how do they work? DAMN GOOD!
I first rode late yesterday evening when the temps were in the high 40's to low 50's. I set them on the second setting (50%) and within a minute they were warm and toasty. I was wearing my fall/spring gloves (very thin insulation) and my hands were sweating. About 10 miles into my ride I "lost" my left hand wind deflector! I had thought I needed to take it off to get the grips installed and had loosened the two bolts holding the plastic to the bracket. I forgot to tighten them back up and they vibrated loose. I saw the plastic go sailing into the ditch... I turned around and was able to actually find the plastic, but the bolts were MIA. So for the next 20 miles my left hand was in the full wind. Both hands still stayed toasty warm though the back of the left hand was colder than the right with the wind deflector.

This morning it was in the mid 30's when I left the house and I put the controller on 70%. I had not installed the left wind deflector and both hands STILL stayed toasty warm! My left thumb would get a little cold but just placing it against the grip would warm it right up.

If you suffer from cold hands, BUY THESE!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4054W.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	261542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4051W.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	261544  

Last edited by Coolerman; 04-03-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
I have read so many threads about keeping your hands warm. One would think that heated gloves would by far be the best way to to do this right? Well if the heated gloves didn't cost $200.00 for a good set that might be the case. The cheap Wish gloves I ended up with only cost $35.00! However there was a trade off: Even though I order the Xtra Large they are too small for my hands and I get cramps by the time I am only part way to work. Plus they are NOT windproof and on days when it is below 35 they just cannot keep up. When combined with the wind deflectors mentioned above, they did pretty good but still had the cramps.

Then I found a adventure site where a guy had ridden up into Alaska and had tried everything including handlebar muffs to keep his hands warm. He finally installed heated grips and when combined with the wind deflectors and a good pair of gloves his problem was solved!

So, when I was ordering tires, I found that Revzilla had the Oxford Intelligent Heated grips for $99.00 and splurged and bought them.

They have a controller that allows several heat settings from warm to blistering and auto detects when the bike is not running and shuts themselves off.
Read about my review and installation here: Oxford Heated Grips Installation and Review

So how do they work? DAMN GOOD!
I first rode late yesterday evening when the temps were in the high 40's to low 50's. I set them on the second setting (50%) and within a minute they were warm and toasty. I was wearing my fall/spring gloves (very thin insulation) and my hands were sweating. About 10 miles into my ride I "lost" my left hand wind deflector! I had thought I needed to take it off to get the grips installed and had loosened the two bolts holding the plastic to the bracket. I forgot to tighten them back up and they vibrated loose. I saw the plastic go sailing into the ditch... I turned around and was able to actually find the plastic, but the bolts were MIA. So for the next 20 miles my left hand was in the full wind. Both hands still stayed toasty warm though the back of the left hand was colder than the right with the wind deflector.

This morning it was in the mid 30's when I left the house and I put the controller on 70%. I had not installed the left wind deflector and both hands STILL stayed toasty warm! My left thumb would get a little cold but just placing it against the grip would warm it right up.

If you suffer from cold hands, BUY THESE!!!

I highly recommend the Oxford heated grips! I had a set on my Shadow and that was the first thing I purchased for my VTX. Word of caution, I have found that the controller doesn't always turn off if you forget to turn them off (done this and needed a boost). I wired mine up to a relay and a switched power source trigger instead of directly to the battery as they recommend.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM - Sold Oct 2018

2008 VTX 1300T - Oct 2018 Co-BOTM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page