Know Any Good Roads in SouthEast VA? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Know Any Good Roads in SouthEast VA?

My wife and I are taking our toy hauler down to Gloucester, VA for a long week the end of July. We're camping about 10 miles South of Virginia Motor Speedway on Rt. 17 and I'm looking for some good roads to ride in that area (day trips, etc.). I would appreciate anyone who's familiar with the area giving me a few ideas.

Thanks in advance.

-2007 Nomad 1600-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 AM

Some nice rides there, but one I'd avoid is US 58 in Greenville county. Speed trap captial of the world.

1996 VT1100C2 ACE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Try checking out these 2 websites, they list roads that are "motorcycle friendly".

http://www.motorcycleroads.com

and

http://www.motorcycleroads.us
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 AM

Passing through there on the way to Cape Hatteras a few times I really can't recall anything noteworthy. You could probably just mosey out to a few of the Tidewater fishing villages around there and find something quaint. But if it were me I'd just head for the Cape.

"I hate social media. That's where losers go to feel important." -- Charles Barkley
2008 Suzuki DL650A (the "Wee"-Strom)

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:02 PM

For a nice ride, take US 17 south to Yorktown. You can visit the battlefield.

Then get on the Colonial Parkway. This will take you north along the York river, to Williamsburg. You can park and take a walk through Colonial Williamsburg (or buy a visitors pass and visit the buildings in Colonial Williamsburg too).

Then take Jamestown Rd (Virginia 31) and visit Jamestown. After visiting Jamestown, get back on Jamestown Rd, and take it to the James River. You can take the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry (FREE) across the James River and continue south on VA 31 into Surry. Then go east on Virginia 10 and pick up US 258 to US 17. Take US 17 north over the James River and take it back to where you are staying. While you're over on the Surry side of the James River, you can visit some of the plantations too ($).

Checkout Mapquest or your favorite map site (or software). You can order the Virginia State Map and A Map of Scenic Roads in Virginia (Virginia Byways) from the Virginia DOT.

Jim
2001 Spirit 1100
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Rick: Thanks for the warning about US58. That kind of attention I can do without!

Dawn: Looks like I'll miss the rally by a week. My reservations are for 8/4 - 8/12, but thanks for the info. BTW - How do you like VA now? That's one of the few states that I could move to. Beautiful country, nice roads and not too much traffic.

Wassup: Thanks for reminding me about those sites. I saved the links but forgot all about them.

JFUSA: The Jamestown / plantation thing sounds great. I'm going to plan on doing that one.

Thanks again to all! (Of course I'm only about 10 miles from some good dirt track racing, so I'll be doing that both weekends in addition to as many rides as I can get in.)

-2007 Nomad 1600-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page