I'm buying this Valkyrie with 60k miles for $3k Any comments.? - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:48 PM

Model: 750 AERO
Year: 2004
If you have to park it outside anyway the condition of the paint and chrome doesn't matter because if it was in perfect condition parking it outside in that weather it would soon be ruined anyway. The Valk had the 1500 Gold Wing motor on it except for the different carb set up. The 1500 wing is a great bike and the motor will go 300,000 miles with some care. But it does it have carbs and it could be hard to start in the cold mornings.

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:26 PM

Man, I just listened to some videos of that cobra 6-6, and boy oh boy do I ever want a Valk now hearing that! Any I thought my GL1000 w/ 4-4 sounded good!!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 06:44 PM

Holy Crap!

You're getting a lot for those 3 G's. Cobra light bar ($500), Cobra radiator side covers (this alone is worth $500), Cobra rear brake MC cover, front fender ornament, and I can see a lot more goodies. If it starts and idles well, I'd jump on this offer.

'04 ST1300A - BlueBeetle
'98 Honda Valkyrie F6C - BatValk

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 04:13 AM

Garage
Hey Cesar , I'm sure you know this , but gotta say it anyway . Make sure the paperwork is right cuz it is the basis for all the insurance , etc.

Chances are she can put it together just fine , but don't pay her til it is in hand even if you have to go to the DMV with her.

Then if it starts , idles and test rides smooth , take it and run. Immediately drain and put fresh gas and oil , etc . Run some fuel system cleaner like SeaFoam thru it with the new gas. And ride it.

As @big poppa pump pointed out it has some pretty good bling already . Somebody cared for that bike and set it up pretty functional.

With some TLC and a little time you can take care of the rough spots , the Valks are pretty tough.
And they can carry your whole darn family across the country if they have to.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.

Last edited by Sundown; 12-01-2017 at 04:18 AM.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:02 AM

My main concern would be if it's sat very long with out being ridden. If it runs good like poppa said it's worth it. I just sold a standard this spring for a lot more than that. If it sits outside I'd get a half cover for it at least.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:17 AM

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I always read about people talking about having to maintenance on carbs. I've never had to do it. Am I missing something? Every bike I have is carbed and the only time I've ever had to mess with one was once on a bike that had sat for a number of years with crap gas in it and another time when we got some dirty fuel at an old out-of-the way place and sucked a piece of crap into the carb. Both were dirt bikes, neither run a fuel filter. Every other vehicle that I've ever owned/own with a carburetor has never needed me to dick with it. Run good fuel, keep all tools and dirty fingers from it, maintain a quality fuel filter and keep the air filter clean and you'll never need to worry about them.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:33 AM

I agree.
I think a bike in stock condition, with good gas run through it with a regularly full tank and no sitting for months on end, should with normal maintenance continue to run as the factory intended for many thousands of miles.

The problems occur once one deviates or a previous owner has deviated from that straight and narrow path.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:49 PM

^^^^^^ +1 .... or they feel the need to "adjust" the carbs. Too often here we see folks in the technical section asking about synching their carbs.... carbs that have never been off the bike before. Scary!

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:11 PM

I love my Valk. Not having seen it, the description you give makes me think it's overpriced. There are nice ones available for not a lot more. No idea about what Poppa Pump says the value of the addons are. Give nothing until you see the actual title. Maybe do a VIN check first.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
^^^^^^ +1 .... or they feel the need to "adjust" the carbs. Too often here we see folks in the technical section asking about synching their carbs.... carbs that have never been off the bike before. Scary!
Yup . . . in some worlds, more is better. I'm considering dropping a set of MC carbs on my I6 Falcon, just to improve throttle response.

That said, the Valk carbs are notorious for poor fuel sealing. One of my winter projects will be to disassemble mine & refresh. It's not a "BIG" deal, but it can be intimidating for someone who hasn't messed with multi-carb setups.

Regardless, $3k for a reasonably good condition GL1500 is outstanding. Jump on it!

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page