Best mods 06 Shadow 600 - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 AM

Model: VT1100C Shadow Spirit
Year: 1988
Glad you got a good chuckle, both of you.
You know it's funny to me how so many of you bitch and complain about loud bikes...that only Assholes looking for attention have them or inconsiderate pricks that only care about themselves and disregard everyone else would have loud pipes...and that safety doesn't qualify as a legitimate reason to put them on a bike...harley wannabes is another good one...i will address this one first. You couldn't be more spot on! If I could afford a $20k+ Harley I would have one! As it is I cannot so I do what I can with the next best thing, a Honda. However You can't get Honda advice in a Harley forum so that puts me here...moving on! Your cry about someone's bike being loud is like me crying about a bike because it has too much chrome. Omg my eyes can't take the shinny glare of all that guys chrome...give me a break! Maybe you should start a "ME TOO" movement for all the times your ears have been violated by loud pipes...you all presume that because my bike is loud I'm gonna make sure to only ride in the middle of the night and go out of my way to wake up the neighborhood. You presume to much. When I'm sitting in traffic and 4 out of the 5 cars around me have driver's that are dicking around on their cell phones you can bet your ass their gonna hear my pipes. Refuse to pay attention with your eyes? Fine! But you don't have the choice to not pay attention with you ears. I don't just ride a motorcycle. I also drive an automobile and I know motorcycles are not always easy to see. When a bike is struck by an automobile does the driver ever say..."but...but...I didnt hear him"??? Its always because they didn't see him...tell me I'm wrong...hate the loud harleywannabe all you want really I don't care...call me an attention seeking douche bag...i don't care...at the end of the day I'm alive...because my loud pipes let all of you around me know that I'm here even if you can't or won't see me...and that your gonna have to live with yourself if you kill me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoRedRider88 View Post
You know it's funny to me how so many of you bitch and complain about loud bikes...that only Assholes looking for attention have them or inconsiderate pricks that only care about themselves and disregard everyone else would have loud pipes...and that safety doesn't qualify as a legitimate reason to put them on a bike...harley wannabes is another good one...i will address this one first. You couldn't be more spot on! If I could afford a $20k+ Harley I would have one! As it is I cannot so I do what I can with the next best thing, a Honda. However You can't get Honda advice in a Harley forum so that puts me here...moving on! Your cry about someone's bike being loud is like me crying about a bike because it has too much chrome. Omg my eyes can't take the shinny glare of all that guys chrome...give me a break! Maybe you should start a "ME TOO" movement for all the times your ears have been violated by loud pipes...you all presume that because my bike is loud I'm gonna make sure to only ride in the middle of the night and go out of my way to wake up the neighborhood. You presume to much. When I'm sitting in traffic and 4 out of the 5 cars around me have driver's that are dicking around on their cell phones you can bet your ass their gonna hear my pipes. Refuse to pay attention with your eyes? Fine! But you don't have the choice to not pay attention with you ears. I don't just ride a motorcycle. I also drive an automobile and I know motorcycles are not always easy to see. When a bike is struck by an automobile does the driver ever say..."but...but...I didnt hear him"??? Its always because they didn't see him...tell me I'm wrong...hate the loud harleywannabe all you want really I don't care...call me an attention seeking douche bag...i don't care...at the end of the day I'm alive...because my loud pipes let all of you around me know that I'm here even if you can't or won't see me...and that your gonna have to live with yourself if you kill me.
Well, that's nice and all that you have decided I hate loud pipes. Truth of the matter is, I don't. You have also decided I think you're a "Harley wannabee". Again, the truth is I don't.

I do think the whole "Loud pipes saves lives" thing is absolute rubbish, though. One of my bikes has VERY loud pipes. I put them on because I like the sound of them and think the bike NEEDS them to fit the style bike I built.

It isn't loud because of 'safety'. It's loud because I set out to make it loud, because I like loud. I don't sit there, however, blipping my throttle at stop lights so people can hear me, and I don't take it out in the morning and wake up the neighborhood, nor is it driven after dark.

Here's my grandson, and my great grandson sitting on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adam and Everett.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	250185  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:17 PM

Maybe figure out the best of both worlds?! I cut my stock exhaust all the way to the last plate holding the last baffle. Pulled the baffle Out leaving a half inch hole. Drilled two more 1/4 inch hole in the plate. It is louder and sounds better IMHO, but not what most would call “douchey” loud, at least not while riding casually. When I open up the throttle really good, different story.

As to the “Harley blip”, a good many do this out of necessity. Yes, there are those who are the “look at me! I gots a HARLEY!” Type, but, majority are idled so low, they have to do the occasional blip to keep bike from dying at a stop.

Ride your ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1990 vt1100c “ish”

JUST RIDE.....
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:28 AM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoRedRider88 View Post
You know it's funny to me how so many of you bitch and complain about loud bikes...
Got me in the wrong camp there!

Quote:
that only Assholes looking for attention have them or inconsiderate pricks that only care about themselves and disregard everyone else would have loud pipes...
Not at all. Sure, there are some people who do that, but I doubt any in the "loud pipes save lives" camp would do that. Those in your camp go loud because they honestly believe it's a safety thing. Those who go loud to be obnoxious generally don't care about safety, they care about their image and what they think others think of them. Safety is far from their minds (assuming they can be classed as having minds!)

(That said, an oddly high number of "I want loud pipes so I can be noticed" types go for things like deleting/hiding indicator lights, removing running lights, removing front brakes etc etc.. "I want to be noticed!", but I'll remove things like indicators so other road users can't tell when I want to turn, or make them hunt for my brake light because I don't like the way a normal one looks......)

Quote:
and that safety doesn't qualify as a legitimate reason to put them on a bike...
Trying things for safety is always legitimate. Some things don't work, and some have adverse effects. I'm afraid loud pipes actually come into that - the noise (especially for those with a much deeper note) is uni-directional (ie it seems to come from everywhere at the same time and is hard for a driver to pick your direction). When you're next to a car and they realise there's a bike in their blindspot and decide to move, you have a chance they will think you're on the opposite side of the car and move into you because of your pipes. Quieter pipes would've not caused a reaction. I know this from personal experience.

Then there's the "annoy others" factor, and some of those others taking action to shut you up. People have had wheel nuts loosened, tyres slashed, brake hoses cut among other things. This too I know personally, I know people who have done this (I had "something to say" to them for endangering other road uses) and people who have been victims of this, but thankfully mostly only from talk within my area. Cars and bikes have been targeted, because having things too loud annoys people. Annoyed people can be dangerous.

Quote:
harley wannabes is another good one...i will address this one first. You couldn't be more spot on! If I could afford a $20k+ Harley I would have one!
I wouldn't. There's far better bikes out there. I don't care for the performance, price (even if I had the $$$$$), culture (though I have some good friends who own HD, but most HD owners I've seen are just not my sort of people). I'd rather use the money to bring some old Honda's or other old bikes back to life.

Quote:
Your cry about someone's bike being loud is like me crying about a bike because it has too much chrome.
It's possible you could be more wrong, but I'm struggling to see how.

Quote:
Maybe you should start a "ME TOO" movement for all the times your ears have been violated by loud pipes...
Given what the "me too" movement was about, that's kind of a horrible statement for you to make, but moving on..

My ears haven't been "violated" by loud pipes. I was shooting rifles before I started school, playing with things that go "BOOM!" from an early age (with and without my parents knowledge!), have worked on and around all sorts of engines from tiny model air craft up to some diesels that wouldn't be out of place in a moderate-sized cruise liner (they were land-based for power generation but still in that size range). Farm kids get all the fun toys, and we get them young.

I've performed as a session musician for various bands including a number of metal bands, and have worked the sound desk for others - a total somewhere north of 300 live gigs.

Your tinny little pipes don't know the meaning of "loud".

Quote:
you all presume....
You presume to much.

Quote:
When I'm sitting in traffic and 4 out of the 5 cars around me have driver's that are dicking around on their cell phones you can bet your ass their gonna hear my pipes.
Don't count on it. Have you not been noticing how many of said drivers also now have their headphones in? Have you failed to notice (any maybe with your loud pipes you won't) just how loud their stereos are? Have you failed to noticed how they're so wrapped up in their own little phoney world they they don't see or hear what's going on elsewhere?

And even if they did notice why would they care? You're just another obstacle to be driven over.

Quote:
I don't just ride a motorcycle. I also drive an automobile and I know motorcycles are not always easy to see. When a bike is struck by an automobile does the driver ever say..."but...but...I didnt hear him"???
Think about that some more. For a start, how often are louder bikes involved in such crashes? I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts the loudness of the bike has had NO impact on whether or not the bike is hit. There's the fact that the vehicle is towards your front but most of your noise is directed towards the rear to start with, then there's that the cager is too busy doing whatever else to pay you any attention, and that in a great number of these cases the issue is the cager mistakes the approach speed of the bike - engine noise ain't gonna help there. But with so many cars made to keep outside noise out, with the lower tones of your pipes being unidirectional, and with the noise level inside the car (or directly inside the cager's ears), by the time they notice any sound from your bike it's more likely from the noise of impact than from your exhausts.

And bear in mind how many of those who pull out in front of us are well past the age where they can hear unaided, and probably turned their hearing aid off last week sometime and forgot they even have it. Or where they are. And are currently wondering who put that funny wheel-thing in front of their lounge chair. And just who is that noisey little barstard out there making all the the noise and why don't they get off the lawn?

[IOW, some old fogey who is so out of it they may not even be aware they're in a car, let along driving, when you get hit. Think your pipes will make a difference? I nearly had one take me out a few weeks back, observation and skill is what saved me, even if I'd had billion decibel pipes it wouldn't have made a difference!]

Quote:
Its always because they didn't see him...
Pipes ain't gonna help there. Cagers fail to see huge great trucks that would totally drown out the sound of your bike. Volume doesn't help trucks get seen, how will it help your bike?

Quote:
tell me I'm wrong...
Sure. You're wrong.

Quote:
hate the loud harleywannabe all you want
Ok. I'll choose to not hate them at all. That ok with you?

Quote:
call me an attention seeking douche bag...
Pretty sure there's many people who'll say I qualify for that far ahead of you, including a number of people here!

Quote:
i don't care...at the end of the day I'm alive...because my loud pipes let all of you around me know that I'm here even if you can't or won't see me...
That's just the problem though. We can hear you right beside us but we're not sure where you are. Better brake hard and pull right because the bike is left of me and.. Oh hell, WTF was that thump?

Some of us here are or have been professionals in MC safety. We don't speak up about risks because we have some hate about something which is a matter of personal taste, we speak up about safety because we're sick of people making mistakes that get them hurt. We care about our fellow riders getting home safely.

As to loud pipes, if you read some of my posts you'll see I've mounted a nice loud pair on my bike. I don't mean in the often performance-sucking exhaust mod kind, I mean in the "DEAR GOD WHAT WAS THAT!" and the "Oh no, I've just soiled myself. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT NOISE?" kind. Very loud horns that have a high pitch component, volume that gets noticed and pitch that is quite directional so they have absolutely no doubt where the noise came from. I don't need to hope my exhaust pipe might get people to notice me and look in the right direction, I know they're going to notice me and they're going to want to get the hell out of my way in a damned hurry in case I hit that button again! (And yes, I am quite sure a few errant cagers have soiled themselves a moment after I touched a little button on my handlebars.

Before I began to devour everything I could on MC safety, I too believed the louder the better. I took some time to study the science and look into what happens. But one of the deciding things was when I was driving while upset, and a bike with quite loud pipes surprised me. I had a favourite song playing was trying to keep my mind on driving, but was absolutely lost in my own world. I drove for a very long way without knowing how I got there, or where I was. I slowed down to see the next road sign and the bike was on me before I saw or heard him. My first knowledge was as he passed. Pipes were loud, but my music and worse, my mind, was louder. I probably could've stopped and opened the door on him without being aware he was there.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 08:05 AM

Model: 2007 Shadow 600
There you go, TheWoods804. Don't be upgrading the exhaust right off the bat. It's an expensive upgrade anyways. $400 plus, so a lot of research if you ever buy aftermarket pipes. The stock pipes are the quietest on any bike, though. It makes the trademark swoosh.

I'd get a sissybar. That way you can bungee groceries to the sissybar & passenger seat on your way home and save a trip.

Saddlebags are real handy for packing a bottle of water or rain jacket, etc. Saddlebags do require a bracket to keep it from rubbing against the tire as well as to tie it down from flapping around. It also has to sit above the exhaust pipes. I've installed a centerstand on my bike. No end, really.

Overall, I'd take a moment to focus on the electrical system. I've been through 5 batteries on my '07 and never got use to pushing it home. That was until I upgraded the regulator/rectifier (RR) to a mosfet type RR. They have more efficient transistors on those. Meanwhile, you should inspect the wire connector that joins the stator (generator) wires to the RR wires. It's a notorious trouble spot for metric cruisers including Shadows.

Vt600 with Springer front end & Z-bars.

2007 Honda Shadow 600
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't do a lot to my 06 vlx, new risers (listed as pull back risers) raised the bars some and move the grips back some, big help. A mustang wide tourer seat made the long or short rides way more comfortable. Engine guards gave me a place to put highway pegs for changing of foot placement. I ran a car tire on the rear for longevity of tire life and was real happy with that. I put some walmart driving lights on a home fabbed light bar that blended into the stock set up. I added a sissy bar for luggage straps and saddle bags for necessities.
All of the above allowed me a tad under 200 miles from hitting 70,000 miles on the odo, I bought it new.
Good luck and be safe.

As soon as you become accustom to anything, some moron has to change it.

Last edited by old dad; 05-05-2018 at 08:52 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Model: 750 AERO
Year: 2004
Some times switching to LED lights can be a hassel getting them to work properly. Do you rife a lot at night? If not I wouldn't waste my time or money on LED'S. Clean the bike up, polish it, shine the chrome, and work on up grades that will make you comfortable. Usually my first up grades are a windshield, highway boards and a driver back rest.

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page