Would you? - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can't believe nobody has pointed out the obvious yet.

Keep them all!!!

But at $12,500 for the Harley, that extra $2,000 would be nice. He's still not convinced he's going to get the Harley, but a good friend might be selling and we would get it well under book.

"Camille"
1998 Honda Shadow ACE 750
May 2016 Ride of the Month Winner!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post
If it were me there would only be a cartoon dust outline of where I was standing I would be running for the 1700 so fast. From what you said, you "fit" better on the Yamaha, it is a smooth ride, you can slow speed maneuver better on it than your 750. Seems like a foregone conclusion what to do. I think it is your mindset/confidence level holding you back, not the bike or your skill.
Hahaha...point taken!

"Camille"

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany1972 View Post
I can't believe nobody has pointed out the obvious yet.

Keep them all!!!

But at $12,500 for the Harley, that extra $2,000 would be nice. He's still not convinced he's going to get the Harley, but a good friend might be selling and we would get it well under book.
No, no need in keeping all 3. Your season is a SEASON, your Ace would be odd ride out all the time.
Since you can handle slow speed better, I say too its a no brainer!
Show pics!!!!
The weight is bad if you cant maneuver it and if you drop it. That's all. My bike is same weight, but not down low, you feel it midway, thus, the bike is not a good fit for my wife full time. But if she wants to jump on it and go ride to Kalamazoo, she can. But it wouldn't be Ideal due to felt weight. You are more comfy with the Yami than your own bike, its a no brainer.
Only thing to make sure of is bar width/pull back....If it sits where you are happy OR you can adjust it easily, then YES JUMP on it!

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 AM

I guess you'll know after you ride it. It's surprising how well some of the larger bikes handle, they scare a lot of folks but I love my Valk. It handles just fine at slow speeds and when I get it out on the hwy and cruise its a blast. Can't imagine having any other ride. I've ridden my brother in-laws Harley's plenty of times and to me the're nothing special.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 AM

Model: 750 AERO
Year: 2004
Don't let the weight scare you. you not going to carry it on your back. If you can flat foot when stopped you will be fine. If you remember when you first starting your 750 it probably scared you also. I rode Gold wings for about 30 years, that is almost a 900 lb motorcycle, one of the best handling bikes I have ever rode, I have owned a 1300 VTX (in my sig photo) a Concours 1400, Vulcan 1600 and several cruisers. If you up grade ti the Yamaha just be careful until you get the feel for it. After a short time you will be riding it like you owned it all your life.

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm excited to test ride it again. I'm not kidding when I say that when you let off the clutch, the thing just stands up and goes. No feathering, no pointing where you want to go...it just goes.

"Camille"

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Howdy, Bethany!!!
...Okay, thought I would chime in on this one, being a littler fella myself, and having sat on that bike, and having ridden a 850lb Vic for a few years now.

If you can flatfoot that bike – as well balanced as that bike is, You are not going to have an issue with that bike on the road.

On gravel, because the likes of mees and yoos have littler legs, we do not have a great deal of leverage when moving heavier bikes around, so, be aware of that if you are parking on gravel and such. Never had an issue on the road though, even backing my big tourer up a hill - seated.

Standing, I can flatfoot my Vic while straddling it. Seated, at a stop, I tippy-toe my Vic while sitting down. That’s all I have for balance, and I do fine. I usually come to a stop using both brake pedals so my left foot only comes down - which is attached to my left leg (thank goodness) and is hinged on my left knee, which is not very strong since I ripped it out a while back. And I do fine.

I found that a heavier bike is lot more planted and LOT more stable at pretty-much any-speed; including parking lot speeds. My Aero, compared to my Vic, always seemed more wobbly off the line and when coming to a stop. My Vic stands straight up and is stable as can be. There's a LOT to be said for a bigger engine's Torque. Weight management on BIG bikes is all throttle, clutch and brake. EXACTLY the same mechanisms which allow any-sized riders control any sized bike..

From memory, seemed to me that the Road Star carries it weight a lot lower than my Vic.

Another upside to a bigger bike! ..After Three Hundred miles or so, My Aero kinda seemed cramped. As Big as a BIG Bike can be, after a few miles or so, it shrinks to fit. As odd as that sounds. I found a bigger bike much more comfortable and pleasant to ride for any real distance past a mile or two.

Around town? ... Hmm.. I have always been a firm believer in “the right tool for the job”, and there are better bikes JUST for goofing around town on, “not cruisers” comes to mind. BUT, that Road Star wouldn't be any more to handle over the bike you already have – like I say, you’ll will get used to it pretty-quick.

And that’s the thing, you just get used to handling big bikes pretty-quickly. The fun begins when you go from a big bike to a small bike ..You get used to a big bike, you can can flip and flop around on a smaller bike and it’s like you can pick them up and carry them under an arm!! But, yes, you do get used to handling bigger bikes pretty-quickly, and then you just don’t really notice any extra weight - BUT, you sure come to appreciate the extra room, comfort, stability and power of a bigger bike almost immediately..And that NEVER goes away! :0)

As has been mentioned, lower the bike on it’s side, get used to picking it up. I haven't dropped my bike on the road – yet - but I have practiced picking up my Vic, and I can do so with one good push from one good leg. It’s just technique is all, and pretty-much anybody out of a wheelchair can do it. MMmmmm...Though I would pay money to see somebody in a wheelchair picking up my Vic. ...And, well, it’s just smarter to be able to know how to do that than not (picking up your bike), ...Just one more thing you don’t have to fret over while the thing is upright..

Free Bikes don’t come along that often, Bethany, and Great Free Bikes are a LOT more scarce than that. Like Spiritman says, It would just be a “POOF! – **Gone**” if I was in the same boat.. meh, maybe leaving a softly wafting piece of paper scribbled with “no-takesie-backsies” to be left in it’s place.

Gotta go to work. Seriously though, Consider it. Because I know that I wouldn’t. I would be off riding around on the thing already, whether my other half traded up or not!! :0)

Right! To work for me!

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Model: 1100 spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
I think it's s no brainer! Make the up grade! If you don't you'll wish you had!

if it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Good guys ride black bikes
02 1100 Shadow Spirit "EVE"
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dag, @Mark b that's a lot of excellent advice. Thanks for going through the time.

We'll see how the weekend transpires. Our friend's wife is trading in her 650 VStar on a Harley trike. Her husband may buy a Street Glide (or something...I'm Harley dumb). If so, then he will be in a position to sell his Harley touring. Then I have to convince hubby that it's a worthwhile expense, considering it's his only hobby. Hell, I can remember a time when he spent more on bowling per month than this payment would be. If he buys it, then I'll be looking into taking his bike over.

I would be sad to see the ACE go...she sure is a pretty thing. Out of all the bikes we ride with, mine always gets the most compliments. 😉

"Camille"

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
I rode Chickenmans Road Star, It was TOO FAST for me!!

Can a Bike be "Too Smooth"????
EVERY time I looked at the speed, I was EXCEEDING the limit

Go fer it!!!

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page