Wear you helmet, it protects against cement trucks. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Wear you helmet, it protects against cement trucks.

Here is a news video about a helmet that saved a girl.

Can't really say the helmet was run over squarely but it is something to think about.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/09/...uns-over-head/

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 PM

Model: VT750RS
Thank you for posting this. Good reminder to all riders !
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Model: VTX 1300
Year: 2006
Looks like the truck ran over the top and kind of squirted her over a bit which saved her. Definitely not ran over square thankfully. Either way the helmet saved her and is a good reminder to everyone
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1993
This also why I always will ride in the inside lane away from parked cars whenever possible.

1993 Shadow VT1100C
Mods forthcoming
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 AM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1983
Garage
As an old firefighter I've seen a lot of crashes that could have been worse had a helmet not been in use,
and a lot that since a helmet wasn't used, were worse...

Like one where a van pulled in front of a biker then stopped, he endo'd through the rear window.
Helmet saved him from far worse damage from impacting the top edge of the window frame.
He did take plenty of cuts & bruises, but was able to walk under his own power after leaving the ER.
Helmet did its job, and took the beating that a skull would not.

Recently a young Marine was showing off on his motorcycle in downtown Pensacola. he shot off quickly,
lost control, and crashed...his un-helmeted head striking the curb. Killed him...DRT as we say.
(Dead Right There) By Military Rules, he was supposed to have a helmet on, on or off base...
seems he thought that just because he was off base he could get away with it...but he sure didn't.
Even a shorty helmet would have prevented the damage that killed him.
That one was almost a carbon copy of the wreck that destroyed a good portion of Gary Busey's brain.

That's the other side of not wearing a lid...you might just end up as screwed up as Gary Busey.
Assuming you live...

There are a few crashes which a helmet wouldn't help...mostly due to the amount of damage done...
like hitting a tree on the side of a highway at 60+MPH...or a dump truck...semi...etc...
Heck, a schoolmate of mine had his bike up over 100MPH when he lost control & hit a garbage truck
going the other way on a two-lane bridge...parts of him went all over the place, in & out of the water...
helmet still had his head in it...his Converse shoes still had his feet inside...but none of it was attached.
I was working that night just down the road and heard him take off, winding his bike out...then the weird
sounds when he lost it and started to skid & slide...and the air brakes of the garbage truck...then the CRUNCH.
Boogied over there real quick, but there was nothing anyone could do except console the truck driver that it
wasn't his fault, then start picking up the parts we could find and putting them under a tarp. Had to fish a few
out of the water once it was light...

Morals of the stories?? Showboating can get you killed fast, so wear the protective gear!
And above all, Do Not End Up Like Gary Busey!!!

P.S: Yes, I went for jokes at the end because it's depressing subject, if anything can be said of being a
firefighter for over 20 years, it's that it gives you some pretty good coping mechanisms via really bad jokes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	256724  

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.

Last edited by Big Shrek; 08-12-2018 at 02:37 AM.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM

Garage
But think of how many people have been entertained by Gary Busey's brain damage over the years....
(I agree....if you can't find humor in a subject, life ain't worth livin'. It's the only thing that will get you through this ride (and some professions) somewhat sane...except for a motorcycle helmet).

I'm the sole person in our small group of riding friends that wears a full face. People ask me about it all the time.
(a) I think my helmet is BADASS and the graphics are awesome.
(b) It's convertible so I can make it open face when I want, so I may not have as much coverage, but can throw that chin bar down on the freeway.
(c) I may not have the prettiest face in the world, but it's not bad, and I'd rather have it attached to my head instead of the ground.
(d) I like my brain quite a lot and I'd like to keep it in my head.

My riding friend asked me yesterday, "do you think I need my helmet on this stretch?" I told her "no, you don't need it as long as you stay on your bike. It's the falling off part that's gonna suck."

"Camille"
1998 Honda Shadow ACE 750
May 2016 Ride of the Month Winner!

post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany1972 View Post
But think of how many people have been entertained by Gary Busey's brain damage over the years....
(I agree....if you can't find humor in a subject, life ain't worth livin'. It's the only thing that will get you through this ride (and some professions) somewhat sane...except for a motorcycle helmet).

I'm the sole person in our small group of riding friends that wears a full face. People ask me about it all the time.
(a) I think my helmet is BADASS and the graphics are awesome.
(b) It's convertible so I can make it open face when I want, so I may not have as much coverage, but can throw that chin bar down on the freeway.
(c) I may not have the prettiest face in the world, but it's not bad, and I'd rather have it attached to my head instead of the ground.
(d) I like my brain quite a lot and I'd like to keep it in my head.

My riding friend asked me yesterday, "do you think I need my helmet on this stretch?" I told her "no, you don't need it as long as you stay on your bike. It's the falling off part that's gonna suck."
Not to mention something like 48% of head injuries in motorcycle accidents are to the jaw area. Full face please
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 PM

Garage
let those who ride decide

Skulz..it ain't just a bike thing to me

post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:12 PM

Model: BMW K1200GT
Year: 2003
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
let those who ride decide

https://I.imgur.com/qKcBBiQ.jpg

Photobucket can sucket.

2002 750 ACE DELUXE: Sold
2003 BMW K1200GT
Ride Bell by Old Dad
Ride Bell by Gnarly
Ride Cross by "Captain D"

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 AM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
I posted similar a while back, but unfortunately some nastiness occurred in the thread - lets not have a repeat eh?

The point I tried to make when I started the thread was simple, and something @Big Shrek hinted at.

When I was about 2 years old I lost my father to a head injury. An intelligent, loving and kind man turned to a mostly bed-ridden epileptic (who had daily seizures, some quite minor a few real serious) who could have severe violent outbursts at little things. I remember being cuddled by him in my earliest memories, and I remember in later memories of him just getting a massive blow to my shoulder and a huge amount of pain. I don't know what he hit me with, or why, but it hurt and it was unexpected.

The injury he had was a work-related one. An item about the size of a small rock (maybe the size of 2 fists) struck him in the head at a relatively low speed. If he'd had a helmet, it would've been a vastly different story. So would my life.

It wasn't a major blow in normal senses, but it ended his career and working life. We went from owning a nice home (still with a mortgage) to on welfare and in state housing. I spent my teenage years cleaning up after him when my mother wasn't able to carry on with it (she was hit by a severe hereditary illness that took her strength before she was 40).

Perhaps the best I heard though was on another Shadow forum. A couple going on a multi-state tour of the US complaining bitterly about how they'd have to cart helmets with them for the states that required them. A few weeks later they couldn't shut up about the wonderful miracle of helmets. On a section of road a rock or brick fell from a truck, bounced, and hit the wife square in the forehead. I can't recall if she crashed (but I think she kept control), but they had no doubt the helmet had saved her. Had the same accident happened in a non-helmet state she would've been dead, if not from the head injury then from the crash after being knocked unconscious.

You say "let those who ride decide". I say "Think of those you claim to love".

In NZ yes, I can ride without a helmet if I'm feeling silly - though I may sometimes have to pay "a small fee" to the government for the privilege It's very hard to find pictures of it online but if you spend some time looking you will see shots of groups of riders with a few lidless, and cops clearly not interested Also, we have nationally-allowed lane splitting. I'd rather be allowed to split whenever the urge grabs me than to be fully "free" to not wear a helmet, as that urge will likely never grab me again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page