Tank Paint - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1993
Tank Paint

I'm thinking that I may want to paint my tank vs. having a shop do it. I haven't had a lot of experience with automotive paint. I've done a lot of typical rattle can stuff on Jeep accessories though and have a pretty good understanding on prep and spray technique . So I was wondering how many of you have taken on this task and then how many wish that they would've just bit the bullet and had a shop do it.
I'm thinking a simple matte/hod rod black.
Photos would be super cool of your home paint job.

1993 Shadow VT1100C
Mods forthcoming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Model: VT600C VLX
Year: 2006
Garage
If you do paint it yourself, you'll need to use an epoxy clear (even for matte finish) to keep gas from ruining the paint job. They make a rattle can version, but you need a good respirator as it's pretty toxic. But again, you should always use a good respirator when painting...

1975 Honda CB125S
1982 Kawasaki KZ440
2006 Honda Shadow VT600C VLX
1999 Honda Rebel 250 (wife's bike)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDweller View Post
I'm thinking that I may want to paint my tank vs. having a shop do it. I haven't had a lot of experience with automotive paint. I've done a lot of typical rattle can stuff on Jeep accessories though and have a pretty good understanding on prep and spray technique . So I was wondering how many of you have taken on this task and then how many wish that they would've just bit the bullet and had a shop do it.
I'm thinking a simple matte/hod rod black.
Photos would be super cool of your home paint job.

For something like what you want, it can be done at home with rattle cans just as well as at a shop, and be indistinguishable from the work the shop does. I have a garage full of pro quality spray guns and equipment but have used rattle cans many times with superb results. Youtube is your friend. Plenty of step by step videos on exactly what you need to do.

On this bike, I used my spray equipment. Paint was custom mixed from House of Kolors.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildecoupe View Post
If you do paint it yourself, you'll need to use an epoxy clear (even for matte finish) to keep gas from ruining the paint job. They make a rattle can version, but you need a good respirator as it's pretty toxic. But again, you should always use a good respirator when painting...
good to know. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
For something like what you want, it can be done at home with rattle cans just as well as at a shop, and be indistinguishable from the work the shop does. I have a garage full of pro quality spray guns and equipment but have used rattle cans many times with superb results. Youtube is your friend. Plenty of step by step videos on exactly what you need to do.

On this bike, I used my spray equipment. Paint was custom mixed from House of Kolors.

That bike looks great!!

1993 Shadow VT1100C
Mods forthcoming
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM

Get you a old peice of metal and practice on it if it turns out bad sand off and redo till it looks good then do your bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman_ky View Post
Get you a old peice of metal and practice on it if it turns out bad sand off and redo till it looks good then do your bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best advice ever. When I took an autobody/painting course many years ago at the community college, we picked through the garbage dumpster behind any collision shop for discarded fenders, etc, that we brought in to class to work on.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2013
Garage
If you have some working knowledge of painting properly, and have a place to paint that is "clean" then go for it.

I painted several of the "silver" parts on my Phantom and they came out looking good,,,years ago I painted my Isuzu Trooper with Army green flat paint in the back yard and it came out good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4735small.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	256682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4910small.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	256684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4912small.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	256686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4917small.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	256688  

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom "Draco Vide"

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRider64 View Post
If you have some working knowledge of painting properly, and have a place to paint that is "clean" then go for it.

I painted several of the "silver" parts on my Phantom and they came out looking good,,,years ago I painted my Isuzu Trooper with Army green flat paint in the back yard and it came out good.
Nice looking bike!!

1993 Shadow VT1100C
Mods forthcoming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page