Cold weather riding jacket suggestions - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Cold weather riding jacket suggestions

I'm thinking of getting a new cold weather jacket. I wear traditional biker leather jacket now and even with some layers underneath my chest gets cold. Not sure if air is getting in the zipper or if it's the leather being cold and transferring through clothes. But I was thinking something other than leather might be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 PM

I have something very similar to this from a Korean War vet - was his old cold weather parka..

https://goo.gl/images/V29ixq

Never failed me until I gained weight and it became snug! (No longer a problem thankfully)

Born Twice, Die Once.
Born Once, Die Twice.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFazinator View Post
I have something very similar to this from a Korean War vet - was his old cold weather parka..

https://goo.gl/images/V29ixq....................

That jacket is known as a "snorkel" (hood design) and is currently made by Spiewak who once contracted to the military. I own the shorter version which is model N2-B. You're viewing the longer version which is an N3-B and has the fur ruff made of coyote fur. They are rated to -30F and at that temperature you'll definitely feel some coldness at the arms. But at zero F the jacket is toasty-warm. And they are worth every penny that you spend on them as they're considered as being THE military arctic flight jackets to own.

Also checkout SAGA men's parkas.

Last edited by tjkoko; 10-21-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Model: 1100 spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
I'm currently wearing a heavy leather motorcycle jacket with a quilted liner. It keeps me warm down in to the 30s. I recently bought a Gerbing heated jacket to go with my heated gloves. Not cold enough to wear it yet. I'll give it a review when I get to test it out.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Good guys ride black bikes
02 1100 Shadow Spirit "EVE"
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
I've got a sedici leather jacket with the removable liner. Wear a windbreaker under that and a thermal under that and I'm good down into the low 30s. Now my hands are a different story
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
That jacket is known as a "snorkel" (hood design) and is currently made by Spiewak who once contracted to the military. I own the shorter version which is model N2-B. You're viewing the longer version which is an N3-B and has the fur ruff made of coyote fur. They are rated to -30F and at that temperature you'll definitely feel some coldness at the arms. But at zero F the jacket is toasty-warm. And they are worth every penny that you spend on them as they're considered as being THE military arctic flight jackets to own.

Also checkout SAGA men's parkas.

TJ, wow - looks like I "inherited" a quality item! Thanks for the history/background!

Born Twice, Die Once.
Born Once, Die Twice.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:15 AM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFazinator View Post
......Thanks for the history/background!

...Very happy to help. Those Spiewaks are great jackets for wintertime.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsrt44 View Post
I've got a sedici leather jacket with the removable liner. Wear a windbreaker under that and a thermal under that and I'm good down into the low 30s. Now my hands are a different story
My leather has removable liner too with neck gator that helps alot. I'm going to give the windbreaker a try under my leather plus couple layers under windbreaker.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:31 PM

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 PM

Garage
I finally got tired of being cold and sprung for heated gear. Gerbing gloves and Firstgear jacket and pants liners and heated socks. I have the remote for the two zones mounted with hook and loop and the bars. Now if my work would just slow down so I have a chance to use it!

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page