how do you haul? - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:51 PM

Model: 1100 spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
I bought this tail bag bout 7 yrs ago for the Shadow and it does it all! The pouches zip off and zip together to make a satchel. Its only been used maybe a dozen times. I've replaced the soft saddlebags with some real nice hard lockable bags. Nowadays I find the wing holds pretty much everything too!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Good guys ride black bikes
02 1100 Shadow Spirit "EVE"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 PM

You don't have to spend $300.00 on saddlebags. There are a lot of less expensive but decent options. I've used Willie and Max bags myself...there are others.

But here's an option to consider... Waterproof Duffels.

Although I have saddlebags and luggage, I still have to strap down seperate camping items that didn't fit well in either or took up too much space. My tent, sleeping bag, camp chair, and a few other items for example.
So I bought myself a duffel and stuff everything in there. Now I only have to strap the duffel on the bike instead of a several loose items.
I was surprised at how much I could get in there and so far, not a single drop of water has gotten through.

I bought this one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only been using it this year but so far it's done good.

PS: Get some ROK straps to tie things down. They are lot better and safer than messing around with evil bungees.

PPS: I used a milk crate myself at first. Works fine...at least until it rains...but it works.
Menhir is not a luggage snob.

2005 Shadow VLX 600 "Saya"

"Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. God is merciful and will hear your prayers" - St. Pio

Last edited by Menhir; 11-09-2018 at 06:47 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:34 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Yeah, that`s what I`m talkin` about when I say Sea Bag...
Military dufflebag commonly used as and called the Sea Bag...
My stuff is right behind me, I lean on it for back support too...
Strap it through the fender rails & down to the seat...
Works for me...
Check winter air in your tires,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Garage
Leaving for a 1½ month trip, camping gear included; came back 1 month later with 16,000 km more on the odometer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	J01_002_101_0141X1-[WC].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	258630  

'93 VT1100C 385,000 Km

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
@MoMo51, that bike has over 380,000 KM (230,000 Miles) on it?

Has it been apart for overhaul or something?

If not that is a great testimonial for the Honda engineering of the V Twin.
Still looks good too.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
@MoMo51, that bike has over 380,000 KM (230,000 Miles) on it?

Has it been apart for overhaul or something?

If not that is a great testimonial for the Honda engineering of the V Twin.
Still looks good too.
Thank you @swifty2014 ; the photo of my post was in 2012, my sig is newer.

To answer your question refer to post #15875 of the thread "What did you do to your bike today?".

In that thread I said that my fear was the carbs that stayed on the engine for 8 years ans can be gummed; 1 month later (5,000 km) I started to have problems: having to start it at full throttle was seeming to be flooding on one cyclinder, once started was running fine; a full can of Seafoam was no cure. I put my old carbs on the newer engine, it runs OK so removed the bowls of the newer carbs, no dirt visible inside both; cleaned both float valve seats and needles. Crossed my fingers and put back newer carbs on newer engine.

6,000 km since then, running perfect. Winterized on october 24th; waiting for April!

'93 VT1100C 385,000 Km

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:53 AM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carr View Post
that has a very college dorm thing going on. lol The only thing I haul on my bike is @$$. I have a truck and a travel trailer for camping and a luxury car road trips, The bikes only purpose is to be fun
But doing that sort of stuff on a small bike is fun! Helps keep your mind on how much stuff in life you don't need!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theja1 View Post
A trailer, of course.
Is that one of those luggage things you see on the rooves of some models of your much-beloved minivans?

Never thought of using one of those as the core of a trailer. Wonder where I can get one cheap....
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilledcheese View Post
ive been loading my bike up alot lately going on camping adventures as the weather allows. i cant seem to justify spending $300+ on some good saddlebags. this milk crate and some bungees do the trick perfectly on my old stock sissy bar/rack.

im curious to see some other diy non-permanent storage setups.

lets see what you got!
Not yet done motocamping, but THIS SUMMER THAT STARTS IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!! (Hard to believe.. this time last year we were nearly 90 days since rain, so far this spring we've not had 6 days without rain!)

I'll put pics of luggage options that I use below (probably be the tool box and the saddle bags). For a tent I am seriously considering a bivouac-style I think I read of on Revzilla (if not on here). Park your bike, stretch a tarp from the bike across on an angle, maybe use a ground sheet, and you're largely done. I'm not yet convinced I'll do it but 2x $5 tarps are a lot cheaper than 1x$150 tent (though I do know a few people with tents I may be able to use).

I've got a couple of suggestions.. I've been looking at some cheap tool boxes that are made of steel or stainless or other good materials, that are less than $50/each. A little bit of work to make some mounts and I'll have a solid "bag" either side. There's things like my tool box below, and lots of ways they can be mounted. And things like decent back packs and duffel bags that others have mentioned.

One thing on the backpacks - think on what will happen if you have a situation where you need to leave the bike in a hurry OR need to bail into water in a hurry. A bag on your back could be a lot of trouble in an emergency!

For luggage I'll probably use the saddle bags (donated from a friend) and the tool box in the pics below, with the sleeping gear rolled up and strapped to the back - those infamous bungy cords

The bags :

The blue ones are older Ventura ones. There's two there, that zip together. They were donated by a friend but I did have a singular one of a similar model that was stolen some years back.

I can't recall the branding of the saddle bags (if they're branded). They're old and needing more and more little bits of repair work, but they are spacious. They have a section that expands. Cheap and very functional

And the toolbox :

No this is NOT a former woman's makeup sample box! (Ok it probably is but it cost less than a tenner, in fact the metal I used for the support strap cost more!). The strap is fitted first, over the carrier (made for me by a friend in a local engineering firm) and up to the back rest (which I straightened with a couple of simple brackets on the bottom), then the box is pushed in with a little wiggling. It's held very firm and doesn't move on trips of several hundred miles. The hinges on the box sit just either side of the back rest and there's enough pressure that it won't move even with some fun roads.

So, as above - when I go camping I'll probably put the tool box on and the saddle bags, with tent or tarps and sleeping bag on the back seat.

Looking forward to trying it
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRider View Post
Is that one of those luggage things you see on the rooves of some models of your much-beloved minivans?

Never thought of using one of those as the core of a trailer. Wonder where I can get one cheap....

Probably is, but I bought the trailer like that. There’s a company over here that sells them already made.

That trailer has about 5k miles on it. Don’t even notice it in tow, but you do under braking.

Condoms prevent minivans.

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page