Whatís with the snob bikers? - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 AM

I always wave.
Some/most wave back, some don't, some can't.
If I can't, I'll usually at least nod.
Whether or not the other rider waves or waves back doesn't bother me.
I wave anyway.

Its nice to be nice.

At large events where there are bikers everywhere, no one waves. We'd never be able to keep our hands on the bars. 🙂

2009 Suzuki C50 "Sonya"
(My Honda 2005 VLX "Saya" was retired in 2018. She will be missed.)

"Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. God is merciful and will hear your prayers" - St. Pio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:08 AM

Model: VTX 1300
Year: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatron View Post
New rider here. What's the correct protocol about waving? Riding on a two lane road in the back country seems appropriate. Is it a question of proximity? For example, on a 6 lane road if I'm on lane 2 heading north and I see another rider heading south on lane 3 do you still wave?
From what I've gathered from various sources: If there is a divider = no wave. From experience not a 100% accurate as I've been waved to on divided highways.

Wave to everyone if you want. If they wave back then cool, if they don't that's cool too. Be safe and make sure other riders are safe too.

Personally I enjoy the wave
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
If I'm doing my job riding keeping myself alive, who the hell cares. It really annoys me to be waved at as I'm quite obviously busy doing something else or better yet seeing them wave while turning/doing a curve. All it takes is one little loose rock and life changes instantly. The wave has become a bit ridiculous to me as it seems to become a priority. I ride my own ride.

I have a lot of fun riding too.

Condoms prevent minivans.

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatron View Post
New rider here. What's the correct protocol about waving? Riding on a two lane road in the back country seems appropriate. Is it a question of proximity? For example, on a 6 lane road if I'm on lane 2 heading north and I see another rider heading south on lane 3 do you still wave?

Donít wave a bike rallies or rides...just too many bikes. Open road, wave as you are comfortable. Iíll wave on the interstate occasionally if I can see them well, but itís more of a ďhelloĒ wave than the ďbikerĒ wave.

Do what you are comfortable with.

Condoms prevent minivans.

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 PM

Model: Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaosman View Post
A thing I like the most about our sport is that it is a lifestyle only appreciated by others like us. So I make a point to acknowledge all manner of bikers. BUT I found that race bikers or what use to be called ricers, donít return the favor.

Back in the day a Honda didnít get the salute back from a Harley and that was understood. Even they have come around and I get the salute returned by them but not from the rockets. Donít know if itís an age thing, or a culture thing, or what? But it really pisses me off. One Guy popped a wheelie when I signaled him. I donít get it.

So be sure and acknowledge your fellow riders as we ALL took the vow to freeze when itís cold, get wet when it rains and never buy more than two bags of groceries! It doesnít matter what type of bike.

What do you think?
I acknowledge all riders when I see them, but I especially try to acknowledge children waving.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:29 PM

Model: Phantom
Year: 2010
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaosman View Post
A thing I like the most about our sport is that it is a lifestyle only appreciated by others like us. So I make a point to acknowledge all manner of bikers. BUT I found that race bikers or what use to be called ricers, donít return the favor.

Back in the day a Honda didnít get the salute back from a Harley and that was understood. Even they have come around and I get the salute returned by them but not from the rockets. Donít know if itís an age thing, or a culture thing, or what? But it really pisses me off. One Guy popped a wheelie when I signaled him. I donít get it.

So be sure and acknowledge your fellow riders as we ALL took the vow to freeze when itís cold, get wet when it rains and never buy more than two bags of groceries! It doesnít matter what type of bike.

What do you think?
I wave all the time. Harley riders are the worst as only a few bother to acknowledge the wave and it does not matter if I'm on my Phantom my CBR600F4i or my Triumph Sprint RS.

Grumpyg67
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
Harley riders wave here, some patched riders wont but not all Harley owners wear patches and not all patches ride Harleys. Sport bike riders arent that common up here because our roads can be pretty brutal but the ones who are around will throw up fingers will palm on grip and a nod

🏍
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 PM

I think they just get tired of doing the wave. I have been riding just over a year and some month. At first i did the left hand side two finger wave thing. But the. After passing lines of bikes all the time, i either do one big quick up high wave or i do a lazy off the handle quicky wave. I do it to anyone who does it first or depending on the mood, even to those trikes. But really, its become a hassle for me. Ill be on a turn with pot holes or whatever. I see a guy late or two lanes over. They wave and im like "Sorry, my mind is on the road."

I am an understanding type of guy. I don't take it personally if someone doesn't. If someone gets upset because you didn't wave, they have something wrong with them and all you can do is be like, "Sorry, didn't see you." Or "I was zoned out, sorry." And move on. I dont care what bike anyone has. Spending more or less money doesn't make you a better or worse biker. Its how well you treat your bike and how safe you are in respect to those who ride with you. Dont be stupid and stupid won't happen. But thats just my opinion. Im no authority. Lol 😛
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:24 AM

Model: VT750C2-EFI
Year: 2010
Garage
Seeing I live Down Under, & we ride on the other side of the road, dropping your hand down for a wave just isn't going to happen as it our throttle hand, so we just give them a head nod.
But I've found that 99% of all the bikes here Cruzers (all makes), sports bikes, standards, scooters give you the "Nod". The only ones that usually ignore you, well me are the "street" trail bike riders, think they live in their own little world.
Personally, don't give a sh1t, I'll nod to all of them, if their sociable, I get a nod back, if not, no skin off my nose...

Vlad...
2010 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 EFI...

~=IF DOGS DONT GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO=~
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 01:23 PM
ARH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-B View Post
stopped a couple of sport-bikers dead in their tracks doing that.. they were zooming up in my rear view mirror, I threw out a wave as they passed, and they immediately slowed down and pulled up next to me in the next lane over.

Maybe they thought you were telling them your radar detector was going

Have been riding continuous since 1962.
2012 750 Shadow Aero
2008 GL1800 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page