Tire options - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Nice.. I'll give em a try next year. I heard a LOT of good about the pr4's, and everything I read about the pr5's look like a solid upgrade. The switch from the pr2's that were on the bike when I got it was marked.. I was leaning more the first day.. The tires just felt more .. competent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
Radial tires are stock for the Tourer folks. Going to a 130/70R-18 is a better option as there a lot of choices and a size larger will help the speedometer error which is a common plague for metric bikes. The I'm personally a fan of Bridgestone Exedras on the Valk but Avon Cobras are what I'm running now and are pretty awesome but longevity? Jury still out until this season. Shinko get good reviews on the Valk forum but longevity is about 2/3 the life of a Bridgestone/Avon. Dunlops, no thank you. "H" rating is what most use with alloy wheels. If you ride more than 3,000 mi. a season, go with Avon or Bridgestone as the safe tire life is about 5 yrs.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/c...torcycle-Tires

Thank you for posting the above as I am trying to find tires for the exact same bike here in the Philippines but the stock size is not available anywhere from any manufacturer.

In your opinion will changing the front tire profile (130/80R-18 [stock]) to 130/70R-18 have much of an impact on handling/performance? Should I change the rear tire profile as well from the stock 170/70R-16?

Hoping to get Pirelli Night Dragons but Shinko 777 is also available here.

Last edited by Nuhaus; 01-17-2019 at 10:03 PM. Reason: missing bracket
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
I put Pirelli Night Dragons on bike a couple of months ago, no comment yet since I haven't had them in the rain. In the dry they stick well to everything. They're supposed to be good rain tires but I'm not in my rainy season so doubt I'll get to try them out for a few months or so. Rainy season is summer into the fall for me.

!999 VT1100C
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:41 AM

The R is for radial but as far as the tire type, i would get a trusted brand with the manufacture date as close to the present date as possible. My vt750 which i did myself i got OEM tires which are tubeless. However i have spoked rims so i have tubes in them. There are performance tires and what not put there but its two wheels. So i won't chance unproven none OEM. Bug I'm on a cruiser. I'm not racing or leaning over far enough to lick the street with my tongue.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Hi there, I was running the Metzeler 880 on my 94 Shadow, very dangerous on wet or humid surfaces. That gave me some very unhappy moments. Tires were new when I bought the bike 2yrs. ago.
That's why I wanted to get rid of them. I got a pair of the brand new Avon Cobra Chrome, which came out last autumn. I chose the Avon as the old Cobra seemed to have a good grip on wet surfaces.

Today I had the first short ride with the new Avon Chrome, the Shadow feels much more easy to handle, much better than the Metzeler. No eperience with wet wheater. Hard to describe, just drives better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cobra2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	260878   Click image for larger version

Name:	cobra4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	260880   Click image for larger version

Name:	cobra5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	260882  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
I'll put in my 2 cents for Michelin Commander IIs. I don't ride in the rain so no comment there, however supposedly they do very well. Dry traction is excellent and make a night and day difference for me. Noise levels are also down, the ride is more supple, and road imperfections are absorbed with ease and not transferred to the saddle. Lastly, they look great mounted!

2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100
Holesaw & crossover mod pipes ǀ Slipstreamer windshield ǀ 6" pullback risers ǀ Viking bags ǀ Lindby highway bar ǀ driver floorboards ǀ ISO grips w/ throttleboss ǀ passenger peg extensions ǀ driver backrest ǀ tank pocket ǀ luggage rack ǀ wired push-button garage door opener ǀ clock ǀ HID headlight conversion ǀ LED tail/brake and speedo lights
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Model: VT750C2-EFI
Year: 2010
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm5690 View Post
I'll put in my 2 cents for Michelin Commander IIs. I don't ride in the rain so no comment there, however supposedly they do very well. Dry traction is excellent and make a night and day difference for me. Noise levels are also down, the ride is more supple, and road imperfections are absorbed with ease and not transferred to the saddle. Lastly, they look great mounted!

You just said exactly what I was going to say about Michelin Commander"s II, so I totally agree with what you said, but the only difference is that mine are on a VT750C2 Spirit...
I also went up a size on the rear to 170/80-15...

Vlad...
2010 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 EFI...

~=IF DOGS DONT GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO=~
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
Thank you for posting the above as I am trying to find tires for the exact same bike here in the Philippines but the stock size is not available anywhere from any manufacturer.

In your opinion will changing the front tire profile (130/80R-18 [stock]) to 130/70R-18 have much of an impact on handling/performance? Should I change the rear tire profile as well from the stock 170/70R-16?

Hoping to get Pirelli Night Dragons but Shinko 777 is also available here.

Let me reiterate as some folk are posting info on tire brands on completely different models/sizes of Shadows that have no relationship to a 1100 Tourer. The stock 130/80R is a Dunlop exclusive ($209) thus 130/70R has a lot more options from all manufactures and at most make the steering a tad slow if you can notice it. BRIDGESTONE EXEDRA G709 130/70R-18 is a great candidate. The Metzler 888 is a harder compound thus results have been iffy in cold and/or wet conditions. The only Shinko SE890 is the only radial available in this size. As for the rear, the stock size I'd leave alone as the only options available would lower your gear ratio's thus more rpm at speed. The only exception would be the VT1100C/Spirit as far as a tire size change because the secondary gear is taller than the Sabre and the Tourer but share share the same gearbox ratio's. If you like the ride of your bike, stay with radials and be sure to check/replace your shock bushings while you are on the rear. Or you can take a chance and switch to bias ply due to your location/availability and the reason I say this is my 1600 Vulcan weigh 25 lbs. more than the Valk and runs bias ply from the factory.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 03-12-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm5690 View Post
I have one on the back of my Yamaha VStar1300 and when it's dry and warm, they are great. In the early spring or fall, or any cool day for that matter, if the tire is not really warmed up it tends to slide a bit if I need to stop more than just a little quickly. That could be true for any tire, but this is the only one that has done it for me. Rain? Rode with them once...won't do it again.

Miss my Metz 880s. Looks like they are available on line but I thought they stopped making them and I would hate to get NOS tires that were 4-5-6 years old.

When all think alike......no one thinks very much.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:47 PM

the Metzeler are still available, the 880 were the old one, the new are the 888 Marathon
https://www.metzeler.com/de-at/produ...marathon-ultra
I sell my pair of almost new ME880 due to the weak performance on wet surfaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page