Fuel mileage - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
Ok talking US gallons here, my somewhat retuned 750 ACE gets usually around 47 miles to the gallon, but I have seen as low as 34 mpg when it is running quite hard and as high as 61 mpg on one day riding gravel back roads at around 50 mph.

It too has a 14 liter tank and it seems it gets filled up usually at the 200 km mark, although that can depend on where I am, where the gas stations are and if the reserve just kicked in. (-:

I suppose at sometime, being in Canada I should add a cell into my spreadsheet for litres/100km, that's the stuff my cars tell me, but the closest I gotten is converting litres and kilometers to US and Imperial mpg something old guys like me relate to better. (-;
That's some good gas mileage. That's more in what I was suspecting a 750 would be around. There are lots of factors for mileage and I don't drive only for mileage. I can't resist the torquey take offs and the high speed revs are easier on my hands. I usually don't let the engine thump I like to hear it purr so I burn more gas but I have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxOZ View Post
Well it's not only the Canadians that use SI units (metric), to be honest the rest of the world uses it, only Liberia, Myanmar and US still use Imperial measurements and even then the US uses a different measurement for the size of the gallon, 3.7854 litres/US gallon compared to 4.54609 litres/Imperial gallon (1 Imperial gallon is approximately 1.2 US gallons.).
Just saying...
Hey, we are 'Mierca, we are all that matters in the world!

I agree the imperial system is jacked up. Nothing relates in a simple way. oz, cup, pint, quart, gallon, umm, lets see, 8 oz in a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a qt, but then 4 qts in a gallon (and as you said, imperial vs US gallons are different, and don't forget a dry gallon).

I was in elementary school when they started the switch to the metric system, so I actually learned it, then in middle school, they just kind of said "Oh, nevermind".

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesanders View Post
That's some good gas mileage. That's more in what I was suspecting a 750 would be around. There are lots of factors for mileage and I don't drive only for mileage. I can't resist the torquey take offs and the high speed revs are easier on my hands. I usually don't let the engine thump I like to hear it purr so I burn more gas but I have fun.
The twisting of the throttle is the big decider.

I've heard the fuel injected 750's get solidly in the 50mpg+ range.

My bike gets pretty much the same mileage it did stock, but now it runs no ethanol premium, so not quite as financially responsible.
The bike gets into the higher rpms when I want to hurry (6500 rpm max shift, 6800 limit) and given what would be considered a "Stage 3" carb setup and Bean box style intake housing one would expect worse mileage.
The reason I think I get away with it is I run quite a bit more ignition advance than stock and bring it in early, which I feel improves the efficiency of the engine.

I'm with you on the higher rpms, once you get past that vibration period the engine has that most people want to slow the engine to avoid, hence the "highway gearing" that is so popular.

YMMV of course (-;
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Garage
Like mentioned, the type of fuel is a factor as well (albeit a smaller one). I imagine running straight gasoline vs E10 will get you an additional 3% or so in efficiency. Where I ride it's unusual to have less than 10 knots of wind, that's a killer as well especially for my 6'3" frame.

2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100
Holesaw & crossover mod pipes ǀ Slipstreamer windshield ǀ 6" pullback risers ǀ Viking bags ǀ Lindby highway bar ǀ driver floorboards ǀ ISO grips w/ throttleboss ǀ passenger peg extensions ǀ driver backrest ǀ tank pocket ǀ luggage rack ǀ wired push-button garage door opener ǀ clock ǀ HID headlight conversion ǀ LED tail/brake and speedo lights
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 PM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
The twisting of the throttle is the big decider.

I've heard the fuel injected 750's get solidly in the 50mpg+ range............
My 2015 Vt750C Aero gets 52-54 mpg if IF I keep the throttle at 55mph.

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 PM

My 2002 Ace 750, with aftermarket pipes, K&N air filter, K&N 81-1183 jet and needle kit and up-geared sprockets and Diamond chain, gets 50-55 mpg around town at 35-50 mph. On the highway at 63 mph or so it gets almost 60 mpg. Over 70 mph it drops to low 50's. She saved me a lot of money versus my old cargo van, I would use it to go work on boats. In fact, it paid me back more than the $3,000 I put in it in 2011.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:21 AM

Model: VT750C2-EFI
Year: 2010
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
Hey, we are 'Mierca, we are all that matters in the world!
I agree the imperial system is jacked up. Nothing relates in a simple way. oz, cup, pint, quart, gallon, umm, lets see, 8 oz in a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a qt, but then 4 qts in a gallon (and as you said, imperial vs US gallons are different, and don't forget a dry gallon).
I was in elementary school when they started the switch to the metric system, so I actually learned it, then in middle school, they just kind of said "Oh, nevermind".

Yeah, well when they changed it here in Australia I had just left High School and entered University to study Mechanical Engineering, you bet it was a quick learning curve for me... LOL...

Gotta say didn't like it at first, but then realized how simple it was especially doing calcs. But eventually got use to it, but still use a mixture of Km & MPH, Km/L & mpg also I use ft & inches to describe how tall a person is...
As for temp using Celsius, this is the way I look at it...
0° - 10°…. Bloody freezing to being rugged up…
10° - 20°.. From wearing a warm Jacket to almost wearing a Tee-shirt…
20° - 30°.. From jeans to shorts…
30° - 40°.. Forget the Tee-shirt…
40° and up.. Don’t leave the comfort of a A/C home or car…
And a week ago we had temperatures hitting just above 48°C (119°F) here…

Vlad...
2010 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 EFI...

~=IF DOGS DONT GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO=~
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Come on, Spring, come on!!

Great to see all the different replies! The old metric/imperial debate sure gets to talk going! Looking forward to snow gone and roads clear to get some kms/liter to report back.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
Uppercase has been added for emphasis and I am not shouting at anyone. Born and raised in the United States, educated in both the U.S. and at the Sorbonne University of Paris, France, and owner of a 1972 Triumph TR6R Tiger, I PREFER METRIC.

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page