Honda Shadow Forums banner

Fuel mileage

8K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  275550 
#1 ·
I'm curious what I can anticipate from my 2008 Shadow 750 - since I'm in Canada tank holds 14 liters fuel not including reserve. Approximately how many kilometers per liter between fill ups?

#5 ·
oh you silly Canadians and your liters and L/100km.

but yes, Fuelly is a good place to get real world mileage estimates. They are not going to be identical to your riding location and style, but can give you a good idea.

#9 · (Edited)
On my 2010 VT750C3 EFI Spirit I'm averaging 4.2L to 4.4L/100km (Approx 23-24km/L)...
Best I ever got taking it easy on a road trip was 4.1L/100km = 69 mpg (IMP gal) [57mpg (US gal)], but then again, mines got EFI and not carbureted...
Last weekend I did 280km before the fuel light came on and according to the manual, I would still have approx 50-60km left before running out...

oh you silly Canadians and your liters and L/100km.
Well it's not only the Canadians that use SI units (metric), to be honest the rest of the world uses it, only Liberia, Myanmar and US still use Imperial measurements and even then the US uses a different measurement for the size of the gallon, 3.7854 litres/US gallon compared to 4.54609 litres/Imperial gallon (1 Imperial gallon is approximately 1.2 US gallons.).
Just saying... :wink2::grin2:

Attachments

#7 ·
Ok talking US gallons here, my somewhat retuned 750 ACE gets usually around 47 miles to the gallon, but I have seen as low as 34 mpg when it is running quite hard and as high as 61 mpg on one day riding gravel back roads at around 50 mph.

It too has a 14 liter tank and it seems it gets filled up usually at the 200 km mark, although that can depend on where I am, where the gas stations are and if the reserve just kicked in. (-:

I suppose at sometime, being in Canada I should add a cell into my spreadsheet for litres/100km, that's the stuff my cars tell me, but the closest I gotten is converting litres and kilometers to US and Imperial mpg something old guys like me relate to better. (-;

#11 ·
That's some good gas mileage. That's more in what I was suspecting a 750 would be around. There are lots of factors for mileage and I don't drive only for mileage. I can't resist the torquey take offs and the high speed revs are easier on my hands. I usually don't let the engine thump I like to hear it purr so I burn more gas but I have fun.

#8 ·
Your mileage will vary. Depends on how hard you twist the throttle, your tire pressures, windshields, temperature, winter grade of fuel, speeds, loads, hills, etc.

I would imagine what type of clothes you wear and your body size could cause more wind resistance also.

Sometimes a smaller cc engine will work harder to maintain speeds than a bigger engine.

#10 ·
@soxOZ, I agree about our goofy measurement system. Metric is more straight forward .
Back in the 1970's they had a Metric Commission that was supposed to get the USA to the Metric system. But it fizzled out after some years. Supposedly too expensive to convert all the machining, etc.

But we still have our booze and medicines in the liters.

Makes it more confusing.

#14 ·
Like mentioned, the type of fuel is a factor as well (albeit a smaller one). I imagine running straight gasoline vs E10 will get you an additional 3% or so in efficiency. Where I ride it's unusual to have less than 10 knots of wind, that's a killer as well especially for my 6'3" frame.

#16 ·
My 2002 Ace 750, with aftermarket pipes, K&N air filter, K&N 81-1183 jet and needle kit and up-geared sprockets and Diamond chain, gets 50-55 mpg around town at 35-50 mph. On the highway at 63 mph or so it gets almost 60 mpg. Over 70 mph it drops to low 50's. She saved me a lot of money versus my old cargo van, I would use it to go work on boats. In fact, it paid me back more than the $3,000 I put in it in 2011.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.