On the road HSR42 on Honda Shadow 750 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Model: Shadow Ace Deluxe VT750CDD
Year: 2002
Garage
On the road HSR42 on Honda Shadow 750

Short video on my HSR42 Mikuni on my bike. Mounted cam on the rear footpeg so the engine could be heard, gas tank mount could barely hear the engine. Not a GoPro, just an old phone I taped on. Still tweaking here and there on the carb and manifold, working on mechanicals and cosmetics. I'm favoring the HSR42 over the HS40, 42 is extremely configurable and easy access to adjustments. 40 not so much, almost seems as if the 40 is made for a left side mounting on a bike. Still testing tho. I'll see. If you're interested...

Mother

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer is full, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother

Last edited by Tellmymother; 03-17-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Additional comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 PM

Model: Spirit
Garage
Sounds pretty good. Good vid considering your high tech approach.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:46 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Interesting experiment.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 PM

It sounded good, smooth and well behaved.
Definitely interested in your postings on this.

The loafer cam POV, may just become become a thing.
My bike is still a month or so from getting back on the road, but I already have the old phone and shoe picked out. (-;
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:07 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Loafer Cam. A new experience in photography, just may catch on !

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Loafer Cam, that's funny, lol. Remember, you saw it here first ! Stay tuned for the further adventures of Mother and his Magical Mystery Machine...

Mother

My PC has gotten real slow lately, a classic symptom of Sh!t Buffer Overflow, once your sh!t buffer is full, it's over man, especially if there is a fan nearby. -- Mother

Unwritten rules and regulations are not worth the paper they're not written on. -- Mother
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mother and the manifold

Variant 17- Thought I'd try steampunk for filter cover (it's taped on for now),...maybe idk. I will be adding copper fins (galvanic isolated) to front right cylinder, fins are not there because of stock air box mounting. Carb mounts in process (thermally isolated). Been taking it on the highway with the HSR42, dropped down one size for main jet, says to try at WOT (wide open throttle) but I have never done that with this bike and never will so I just resized down, big carb for this bike you know. Note : doing this with an unknown manifold and unjetted new carb is insane , too many variables, but I have lots of time and was able to dial it in, not recommended for those in a hurry, hard to replicate. An intake manifold is a terrible thang, hard to master, skosh changes make a big difference...HS40 mos riki tik...
Mother
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filtercover.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	261148   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	261180  

Last edited by Tellmymother; 03-22-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Wrong image
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been riding with the HSR42 around town and highway daily. Runs great, I'm happy with it. Weather is beautiful down here, may just ride for a while before testing th HS40. I have noticed with the 42 if I wind it up a bit and goose it, the clutch slips a bit, maybe I got more power, never did that before. Strong idle, starts easily, I'm pleased with it. Runs like a scalded dawg...

Mother

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 PM

Looks bad ass!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mikuni HSR42 single manifold update

Reporting from out here on the perimeter, on the edge, but ain't fell off...yet. Well, my bike is like a new bike, runs beautifully. Got a little over 200 miles on this setup. Plugs look good, EGT balanced at ~275 degrees (after long ride, stopped and idling). Starting is just pull the choke and it starts right up. Idles strong and consistent, thump, thump, thump...The old carbs I had to blip the throttle 3 times pull the choke and MAYBE it would start. The 42 has an accelerator pump so blipping the throttle would only flood it. On the 42, I got the knob style choke it's a 2 position detent, I like it best. It came with the long choke cable but seemed mushy, squishy had no detents. The old carbs would pop on deceleration, I tried everything to fix that to no avail, I used to pull the clutch in and coast so I didn't pop and sputter. No need to do that now. Plenty of power although that was not my goal, ease of maintenance was. Below is the photo of the 6th prototype, final one. Looks easy doesn't it ? I probaly have 4 months of off and on work on this. It ain't easy, a lot of tuning the manifold had to be done. Dealing with 2 variables, unknown manifold and unknown carb was a giant hairball. I'm retired so I have plenty of time to deal with it. I would like to emphasize again, I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE DO THIS. Newer bikes have safety fuel cutoffs at the petcock and the fuel pump, this bike does not. This carb is gravity fed, I just don't need no stinkin' fuel pump. I'm very happy with and glad I did this, although along the way at times I had my doubts, persistence prevailed.
Onward, through the fog...
Mother
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manifold.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	261956  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page