Well today kind of stunk... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
Well today kind of stunk...

So a beautiful day today, rode around for about an hour, rode to the dentist.
Came home, goofed around a bit, then went to the Dr for an annual checkup. All good there. I go to another place to get the blood work done, no problem again.
Come outside, get geared up, sit on the bike and think, hmm, something not right here.

Get off and find a flat tire. Grrr.

(pic is while at home, see below)

Look at tire, nothing, roll it forward, nothing, roll it forward again, there it is, a nice screw in almost the middle of the tire.

again, this was take at home, not at the medical building

So much for Ride-On preventing a leak. At least it does balance the tires...

I am about 12 miles from home, so I was about to call my wife to come get me so I could get some stuff to take care of it. Before I called, I was able to find someone with a cheapie air compressor that was able to get me aired up to around 20 PSI (took almost 30 minutes to do).
My sister lives about 4-5 miles from where I was, and they have a decent compressor, and worse case, I can fix it at her house.

I was able to get it to her house with the tire almost flat again (about 8 psi in it). I aired it up to 45 psi, waited 30 minutes to make sure it did not leak down completely (with traffic, it would take me at least 20 minutes to get home). After almost 45 minutes, it was down to about 30 psi, so figured I could make it home. Aired it up to 50 psi and made it home, was at 28 psi when I got home, and I could feel it.
Within another 20 minutes it was completely flat.
Ran up to Walmart and got a plug kit. Got it put in and it is filled with air again. I will need to check the pressure daily for a while to make sure it is holding.

And yes, I know plugs are supposed to only be temporary, internal patches are the proper fix, but I am not worried. I know of many that have used them for tens of thousands of miles with no issues, and I have used many in cars without problems either.
With the issues I had with getting the bead to seat on this tire, I am not breaking that bead till the tire is going in the trash.
And heck, speaking of tires, I have a car tire on my motorcycle, why should I care about safety.

Just glad it did not happen yesterday when I was out 75 miles from home.
So at least I now have a plug kit in my saddle bag to go along with my jump starter. just need to find a little inflator or one of those CO2 cartridge things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	261320   Click image for larger version

Name:	flat.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	261322  

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:17 AM

Garage
Could have been worse. I was headed to Charleston a few months back in my truck and pulling my trailer. Somewhere in Louisiana I got a flat in my right rear tire of the truck. So, I had to disconnect the trailer, jack-up the truck and switch out the flat for the spare. Jack it back down, and hook back-up to the trailer. Go down the road to Wal-Mart and get a patch kit. Again I had to disconnect my trailer, and jack-up the truck to change back to the original tire. All told the flat cost me 2 hours on a trip that was already going to take 17+ hours. Funny thing is, I still have the spare in the bed of my truck instead of under the truck bed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:23 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
@blupupher, wern't you the guy that had so much trouble getting the bead on, it took a couple of days and heat to get it to pop?
I agree. Plug that sucker.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@swifty2014 , yup, that thing was a pain to get the bead to seat.
I am not popping that bead till the tire comes off for good.
If I pull it off, I am just swapping the tire (I actually have a spare rim, so I would just put a new tire on that one and swap it out).
So far, no drop in pressure, but I have not ridden it yet, just checked the pressure this morning.

1994 VT1100C
Mustang Seat

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 AM

It must be flat tire week. I should have checked my calendar...

A few days ago I loaded up my bike for my 30 mile commute. I didn't notice anything unusual as I rode off because I live on an old brick street which normally feels wobbly anyway.
As I turned onto the main street a few blocks later I could tell right away that something was wrong. I stopped, got off, both tires looked fine.
Checked the pressure, and it was down to 12psi.
I wobbled back home, loaded up the car, chucked the riding gear and grumpily headed off to work.

I didn't want to top off the tire and ride off in case it was a fast leak that would deflate along the way or before I could get back home that evening.

I check my tire pressure every week and had just done so a few days before. I was surprised. I couldn't see any punctures either.

I reinflated the tire the next morning but didn't take the bike out for the next few days, when I'd check again for air loss. When I did...no loss. A few days later, no loss again. Took it to work yesterday...all was fine.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm thinking some kid might have let out the air just for some stupid kid fun.
If I ever catch someone doing that, the fun may wear off pronto. Grrrr.

2005 Shadow VLX 600 "Saya"

"Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. God is merciful and will hear your prayers" - St. Pio
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:52 AM

Model: VTX 1300
Year: 2006
At least you didn't blow the tire while moving. That could have been a whole different ball of wax.

I've plugged many a tire with no issues afterwards. Including the car I drive for work daily to this day.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

You should be fine with the plug, I had one in my first c/t for years with no issues, I had spokes, so a new tube was required.

As soon as you become accustom to anything, some moron has to change it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:31 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
I had a very slow leak in my front tire a couple of years ago. Now I check my tires before each ride. My T-CLOCS inspection.
But I do it the easy "trucker "way of tire checking. I have a 2 foot piece of PVC pipe and I rap each tire and listen to the sound of the ping. Not all that accurate but warns when there may be an issue.

I check with a gauge every few rides also just to be sure my pipe is telling me the truth.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wooden-Ti...hecker&veh=sem

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:35 PM

Ran my stock Dunflop 7,000 mi. with a plug until I replace it with no loss pressure. I keep the plug kit and CO2 inflator kit just in case in the saddle bags. Swear by them but if its a front tire I change as soon as possible.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, a month and a half later and it has only lost a few PSI, nothing different than normal PS fluctuations due to temp and time before the flat.

Today I received my mini-tire inflater (this one) that fits in my saddle bag, and the plug kit fits inside the carry kit, so if it happens again, I can fix it on the road.
Hopefully I never have to use it, but good to have.

1994 VT1100C
Mustang Seat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page