Is this the standard way of mounting floorboards? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Model: Spirit VT750DC
Year: 2003
Is this the standard way of mounting floorboards?

Hi guys,

Pretty new to riding, have about 2000km under my belt so far and loving it. I purchased my bike used and it came with the floorboards in pic attached. I want to change them, so I went to my local store to check out some options and came away confused. It seems like all the peg/floorboard options on sale have a different mounting system. Do I have something unusual, or is this typical for Shadows? What should I be looking for in terms of mini-floorboards? I really like the Kuryakyn Riot mini boards, but I'm not sure if they are compatible.

Appreciate the help.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_151518.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	261690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Model: Shadow ACE
Year: 2001
Garage
Hey Eric,

Typical for Shadow from what I can tell. the best thing you can do, is make sure you buy bike specific pegs or boards. they will be the easiest to install. If you are good at metal fab, grab what ya want and make them work!. The Kuryakyn you posted look like they are for off road applications. If they are not honda specific or have different mounting points they may not work.

Dress for the slide not the ride
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 PM

There are two different set-ups. One in the picture that just replaces the foot pegs and one that the whole mount is replaced.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guy. Let me be a bit more specific. I see that a lot of floorboards--and even a lot of pegs for that matter--use a splined male mount adapter. On my bike, it looks like there is a bolt with a cotter pin holding that male adapter in. Does this mean that I can keep the mounting plate (with the 5-4-3-2-N-1 in the pic attached) and just swap out the boards for any that have the appropriately sized male mount? Sorry if these are obvious questions; trying to wrap my head around it all.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM

The spline adapters are the best way to go. The floorboards will stay in place better. The ones that are just press fit can slip because of the extra leverage from the floorboards.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyOnBev View Post
Thanks, guy. Let me be a bit more specific. I see that a lot of floorboards--and even a lot of pegs for that matter--use a splined male mount adapter. On my bike, it looks like there is a bolt with a cotter pin holding that male adapter in. Does this mean that I can keep the mounting plate (with the 5-4-3-2-N-1 in the pic attached) and just swap out the boards for any that have the appropriately sized male mount? Sorry if these are obvious questions; trying to wrap my head around it all.
You will be able to keep the plate, but if your current boards do not have the splined adapters, you will need these.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C

Where's the book of John Hopkins at now?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:13 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:

Buying floorboards is a lot easier than you think. But you need to know what bike you have when shopping for them. We can help you, but you are not telling us what kind of motorcycle you have.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer76 View Post
You will be able to keep the plate, but if your current boards do not have the splined adapters, you will need these.
I believe my current boards do have the splined adapters. Please see pic attached... you can see a bit of the splining in the lower left corner of the image. The adapters appear to attach to the mount with a bolt+cotter pin, although it seems like a pretty wiggly fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
Buying floorboards is a lot easier than you think. But you need to know what bike you have when shopping for them. We can help you, but you are not telling us what kind of motorcycle you have.
Oops, sorry, I should've mentioned that. I'll add it to my signature. I ride a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit (VT750DC).

I took a look at the Kuryakyn site and sorted the products by model. I'm wondering if something like this could work and I would just swap them out with my current floorboards but keep my mount and adapters?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_151539.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	261774  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
I believe my current boards do have the splined adapters. Please see pic attached... you can see a bit of the splining in the lower left corner of the image. The adapters appear to attach to the mount with a bolt+cotter pin, although it seems like a pretty wiggly fit.

Oops, sorry, I should've mentioned that. I'll add it to my signature. I ride a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit (VT750DC).

I took a look at the Kuryakyn site and sorted the products by model. I'm wondering if something like this could work and I would just swap them out with my current floorboards but keep my mount and adapters?

Don't add your bike make model and year to your signature. Add it in your profile like you see in my profile. Many people like myself have the "view signature" option turned off to save bandwidth.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
Don't add your bike make model and year to your signature. Add it in your profile like you see in my profile. Many people like myself have the "view signature" option turned off to save bandwidth.
Thanks for the tip. Done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page