Can you tell the difference in sound on a VT Honda or a HD - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromwell74 View Post
So my VT800 canīt get that "potato potato" sound then?

It'll never get that sound in a million years. There's more to that sound than just having a single pin. Piston separation angle plays into it as well, among other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Model: 750 ACE Dlx
Year: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
The only 1100 that was a single pin was the Ace, the rest were twin pins.

You missed one..... from 1998 to 2000 the VT1100C3 Aero's were single crank pin models too.
Phil

1998 VT-750 ACE Deluxe

Sterling Heights, Michigan

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc862011 View Post
The 1100 I believe was the only one with a single pin crank, meaning the cylinders move up and down at the same time altho each one is in a different cycle, ones exhaust while the other is intake, the 800,750, and 650 are all dual pin cranks meaning the pistons move opposite . One is moving up as the other moves down. Hard to get a dual pin to sound like a Harley because of this unless you lower the idle to much and then you are starving the top end of oil at idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ACE Tourer, Sabre, Spirit/VT1100C are twin pin motors.The ACE 1100's are single pin except the last year I believe some are twin pins. All smaller displacement Shadow models are single pin thus sound better than ANY twin pin.

Sorry Phil I came in late to the game.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

The VT800 has got a 5000 rpm max torque, how does the rpm max torque relate to the exhaust sound? The lower the rpm = cooler/better sound?
Noticed that the VT600 has got a 3500 rpm max torque....does that model then sound better than the VT700/800?

Last edited by cromwell74; 04-15-2019 at 05:56 AM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:05 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromwell74 View Post
The VT800 has got a 5000 rpm max torque, how does the rpm max torque relate to the exhaust sound? The lower the rpm = cooler/better sound?
Noticed that the VT600 has got a 3500 rpm max torque....does that model then sound better than the VT700/800?

The amount of torque a motor produces has absolutely no affect on the sound of the exhaust gasses as they leave the motor. You seem preoccupied with trying to make your bike sound like a Harley. Maybe it would be better if you sold your bike, then saved up for a Harley?
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Michigan View Post
The amount of torque a motor produces has absolutely no affect on the sound of the exhaust gasses as they leave the motor. You seem preoccupied with trying to make your bike sound like a Harley. Maybe it would be better if you sold your bike, then saved up for a Harley?
I do like the sound of old Harleys but I am not looking to buy one... I donīt want to invest that much $$$$ in a bike because I drive very little, maybe once a week during the summertime. But I think Iīll be quite satisfied with my VT800 when I get my ordered aftermarket straight cut mufflers installed. Hope that my neighbors donīt starts to hate me! =)

Last edited by cromwell74; 04-15-2019 at 06:36 AM.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Model: VF700 Magna
Year: 1987
Thought this would be of interest to some. Copy/paste from "howstuffworks"..
I always suspected there was more to the sound than a single crank pin, firing order/ignition plays a big part. And though I dont recall reading it, Im pretty sure the length of the cylinders (bore/stroke) plays a part in the distinct Harley sound. Personally? I love the sound!

"In a two-cylinder, horizontally opposed engine, the pistons are timed so that one fires on one revolution of the crankshaft and the other fires on the next revolution -- so one of the two pistons fires on every revolution of the crankshaft. This seems logical and gives the engine a balanced feeling. To create this type of engine, the crankshaft has two separate pins for the connecting rods from the pistons. The pins are 180 degrees apart from one another.

A Harley engine has two pistons. The difference in the Harley engine is that the crankshaft has only one pin, and both pistons connect to it. This design, combined with the V arrangement of the cylinders, means that the pistons cannot fire at even intervals. Instead of one piston firing every 360 degrees, a Harley engine goes like this:

A piston fires.
The next piston fires at 315 degrees.
There is a 405-degree gap.
A piston fires.
The next piston fires at 315 degrees.
There is a 405-degree gap.
And the cycle continues.

At idle, you can hear the pop-pop sound followed by a pause. So its sound is pop-pop...pop-pop...pop-pop. That is the unique sound you hear!"

If I cant fix it, I will muck it up so nobody can
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

What is interesting to me is, that many aftermarket-exhausts and bikes sound kinda ok, or not that cool. Sometimes I am browsing youtube for some good v2-sound. Quite often I think "waste of money" cos the muffler, exhaust sounds better as the original one, but not really good (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki etc).

Yesterday, I came across this funny Aussie, and his homemade exhaust of his old Yamaha Virago sounds kinda perfect to me:
besides that there's no poato potao, the olde Virago sounds excellent after quieting the muffler, friggin' awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in