Recommendations for reasonably priced helmets - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
I like my LS2 half helmet.

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM

GMax for round heads and HJC for oval/elongated heads. Gmax offers Cool Max lining for good breathing. I have both a full face and 3/4 GMax.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 AM

If there's a Cycle Gear near you, check out their offerings. I've found some reasonably good helmets there at reasonably good prices.

Ask the salesperson to steer you towards the ones worth having: Some are good and inexpensive, and some are just inexpensive.
Was my Cycle Gear modular as good as my Scorpion Modular...No, but it was a good helmet at a good price. I wore one for years.

Note that unless things have changed, modular helmets are not Snell rated...just DOT. DOT is good enough for me.

(Nowadays I usually wear a 3/4 with a full flip up shield instead of a modular because it's lighter. I have degenerative disc disease so the lightness helps. )

I'd strongly recommend trying before buying. I've never bought a helmet over the net.

One other thing...
Watch out for helmets selling off the shelf at greatly reduced prices. Sometimes they are already 5+ years old (check for the manufacture date under the lining) and have been on that shelf the whole time.

2005 Shadow VLX 600 "Saya"

"Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. God is merciful and will hear your prayers" - St. Pio
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Model: Shadow ACE
Year: 2001
Garage
I love my LS2 Stream Fits my fat head nicely and was under 150 when i got mine 2 years ago.

Dress for the slide not the ride
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Model: Sabre 1100
Year: 2005
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewsifer View Post
I love my HJC. Comes with pinlock but not the chin curtain. The liner comes out easily for washing and can be put back just as easily. Mine is DOT and SNELL rated which was something I really was looking for
+1 on the HJC. I just bought a HJC for my wife last summer and she loves it. I will be buying one next! Hers is the HJC-C3 model. Between the helmet and visor was like $110. I bought hers off revzilla. Tons of padding and super quiet. Easy to take it all apart for cleaning too!
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Garage
I have a Scorpion 1/2 helmet and love it, I think for a Fullface I should have bought one of theirs. Instead I went cheap because I only wear a FF in the cold weather. I bought an HJC modular and it is horrible for noise. I would not recommend it.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/me...e71386-vtx.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM - Sold Oct 2018

2008 VTX 1300T - Oct 2018 Co-BOTM

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 AM

Who in JAX (Jacksonville, Fla. for you outsiders) offers the best selection in modular helmets, either LS2 Strobe or Nolan?

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 AM

Model: Non Shadow 1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing Interstate, two cyl. transversive "twisted"twin
Year: 1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow
Garage
Something I learned about helmets is there is no standard size.Each manufacturer has their own sizes. A video,article and a helmet manufacturers size chart;https://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-...izing-and-fit#. I like this one made by Voss 555 made in Australia in black , a modular that I can open up behind a wind shield. They run small it took the biggest size they had to fit me and a medium Bell fits right.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=UTF8&psc=1.It comes in white too for that Storm Trooper look.. .I hope this helps,Ride Safe.

1996 VT1100C2 ACE Shadow,1982 Honda GL500I SilverWing,1980 AMF Roadmaster w/Minarelli V1 moped.."It's the journey not the destination" Ravens Roost Overlook milepost 10 Blue Ridge Parkway,Virginia

Last edited by Steve C; 04-16-2019 at 02:57 AM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
...It comes in white too for that Storm Trooper look.
Myself, I prefer wearing a white helmet for added visibility but love the other colors and designs that are offered.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menhir View Post

Note that unless things have changed, modular helmets are not Snell rated...just DOT. DOT is good enough for me.
There was one modular that was SNELL rated, but no longer made.
The SNELL test is hard for modulars to pass since they test the weakest points of helmets, and on a modular it is the hinge or locking pin. Plus it is really designed for racing applications (although they have a different street and track test).
Helmets with internal sunshields also will not pass SNELL.
I know my LS2 is DOT and ECE rated (ECE is the European rating, a little different than DOT tests, LINK to differences).

Biggest problem with DOT is there is no actual gov't lab for testing, it is left up to independent contractors to do random tests of random helmets, not all will actually be tested, but the thinking is that if manufactures know they may be tested, they will make the correctly.

As mentioned before, more important than which rating the helmet has is that it is a properly fitting helmet.

1994 VT1100C
Darkside 185/65/15 rear tire
Perilli Route MT66 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page