All the gear all the time - crashed my baby - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

All the gear all the time - crashed my baby

Well. It happened. Left turner minivan from cross street, saw an opening in opposite traffic, failed to see me in the lane and turned right in front of me. Slowed down but could not stop in time. Final screech of the front wheel and there I was sliding on my side on the pavement. Bike is sliding in front of me on its side. Sparks flying.
I had on my helmet, boots, long pants, Johnny rocket padded jacket and padded gloves. Now itís hard to wear that stuff ďallĒ the time down here in FL. It is so tempting to leave one or more behind.

Got up and ran off to the side of the road out of the way of traffic behind me. Iím surprised, I had the presence of mind to run! Badly bruised side and shoulder. Thumb twisted back but NOTHING broken and no cuts!

EMS would not believe it. ďI guess you were pretty well padded up?Ē He said. Minivan got a ticket, and a month later I got my baby back.

Let it be a lesson to you boys and girls.

ďAll the gear all the timeĒ. Motorcycle safety course saved my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 PM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Year: 2015
What brand and kind of helmet were you wearing at the time?

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Did the van hit you or you hit the van? If you laid it down or went down and did not get hit, you wrecked because of inexperience or lack of skills. Laying a bike down is never the right thing to do.

Glad you are okay though, but keep the rubber on the ground and rolling. Never lock up a tire.

Iím just like Hans Solo, always stroking my own Wookie.

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Model: 2015 VT750C Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theja1 View Post
..Laying a bike down is never the right thing to do........
It certainly is the thing to do if riding in the dirt in the Mojave (or any other) desert when someone cuts in front of you.

I am coming from an older Triumph Tiger background.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoko View Post
It certainly is the thing to do if riding in the dirt in the Mojave (or any other) desert when someone cuts in front of you.

Yeah, but sand hurts less than pavement.

Just Ride...

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Model: VT750C2B AC - California Shadow Phantom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaosman View Post
Thumb twisted back but NOTHING broken and no cuts!

Minivan got a ticket, and a month later I got my baby back.
All three of these statements bring good feelings to me. Glad the both of you are ready to rock.

Preach! "Dress for the slide, not the ride."
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftShock View Post
Preach! "Dress for the slide, not the ride."

Preach: Ride your own ride, your way.

Just Ride...

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaosman View Post
... Final screech of the front wheel and there I was sliding on my side on the pavement. Bike is sliding in front of me on its side. Sparks flying.

Let it be a lesson to you boys and girls.

ďAll the gear all the timeĒ. Motorcycle safety course saved my life.

I'm not sure that I understand. It sounds like you panic stopped, locked up the front wheel...washed out the front end and went down. How did the motorcycle safety course save your life?

The lesson should have been...practice emergency braking so that you don't lock the brakes in panic.

I'm not ragging you, much. But, it would be a shame to go down, and then learn the wrong lesson. Wear your gear or don't. Just don't rely on your sense of style to keep you safe.

Your experience, and your skills are the first line of defense. Always. Situational awareness is everything. Hindsight, being 20/20, is there anything you might have done differently to avoid this little, mishap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theja1 View Post
Preach: Ride your own ride, your way.

Exactly!

GoldWing. Nothing else needs be said...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
I'll throw my two cents in.

I understand the struggle with wearing gear all the time. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 88 and the rest of the week is all 80's Think spring is about done for us.

I disagree with you should never lay your bike down. Happened to me. The situation was this, busy city street, curb and telephone poles to my right. On coming traffic to my left. A lady literally with curlers in her hair, Grandma sitting next to her pulled out of a driveway to my right and she was turning left on to the street. I did a maximum brake which wasn't going to stop me in time. I had no real options unless I wanted to gamble with hopping a curb and hoping there wasn't a telephone pole there or hydrant etc. Next option was to crash head-on into the side of the car. The risk there is me getting flipped over the handlebars into the car or over the car. I didn't think of it at the time but pulling a wheely probably would have worked out fine but hard to explain to the police.

The end result was I was fine with the bike getting some scrapes on it. Nervous insurance agent paid me to go away. It was enough for a better motorcycle. I didn't really have anything wrong me or the bike so bonus.

!999 VT1100C
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Motorcycles handle...accelerate, turn, stop way better up on the rubber than they do when laying on their side. If you didn't hit anything in laying your scooter down, then given a properly executed emergency stop...you likely wouldn't have hit anything by keeping the bike upright. The question then becomes, did you have the ability to stop and keep the bike up? Too often, the answer is, no.

While every situation is unique and the man on site is the one making the decisions, with often limited information and time...putting one down is rarely the best or only option.

As a rider that has had my share of errors over a 50 year riding career, I know these are hard questions to ask yourself. But they are necessary if we all want to stay alive to ride again...

GoldWing. Nothing else needs be said...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page