Rain x on visor? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Rain x on visor?

Hay i just curious. Rain x works really good on my truck windshield. I figure as long as I don't get any on the inside of my visor it should be cool. Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:47 AM

Use the type for plastic and it shoukd be good to go. I will put some on before Dragon trip Friday, rain ALL the way up!

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM

That's funny yesterday I broke out the ACDelco Gas Cleaner to remove the RainX from my car windshield.
I put it on there for winter, but when it partly wears through it is IMO absolutely horrible creating a smearing mess during a downpour like I ran in yesterday.

I won't use it on a visor after many years ago it clouded the visor on my Bell Star helmet and I remember hearing other tales at the time.
This may no longer be a problem as I said it was years ago, formulations may change, plastics may change, but you are definitely doing the right thing asking.

After cleaning my visor and my windshield I use Lemon Pledge on them, it beads water well and is cheap and easy, although if you wipe your visor frequently with your gloves it needs redoing regularly.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=Coop;5466378]Use the type for plastic and it shoukd be good to go. I will put some on before Dragon trip Friday, rain ALL the way up!
QUOTE]

+1. I use Lucas Slick Mist on the windshield as the Rainex does to good of a job when wearing an open face helmet!

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:00 AM

[quote=h13man;5466400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Use the type for plastic and it shoukd be good to go. I will put some on before Dragon trip Friday, rain ALL the way up!
QUOTE]

+1. I use Lucas Slick Mist on the windshield as the Rainex does to good of a job when wearing an open face helmet!
I forgot about slick mist, I have some of that.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:59 PM

Model: Aero
Year: 2007
I've always had good luck getting water to bead with regular 'ol Honda polish. I wipe my helmet/visor with it whenever I wipe my bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Hell yeah thanks fellas. Let me see if I got this right....Honda polish.I never heard of it. I'm still new kidd. Is that anything like German Vaseline? Slick mist. Another new word. Probably got that at that bike shop up in town. Lemon pledge. Hell my ol lady got some of that. Rain X . Should be ok. Get the kind for plastic. But never ever use it on an open face helmet.😂 Thanks fellas that gives me plenty to work with. Y'all have a a good ride. Post pics?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 PM

Model: Aero
Year: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewr View Post
.Honda polish.I never heard of it. I'm still new kidd. Is that anything like German Vaseline?
Honda Polish is a spray cleaner made by Honda, as seen here. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TGWdJ2QRtaoW6n

Stuff is amazing, and it's cheap. $5 from your local Honda dealer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 PM

Model: VT700 & NV750
Year: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
I won't use it on a visor after many years ago it clouded the visor on my Bell Star helmet and I remember hearing other tales at the time.
This may no longer be a problem as I said it was years ago, formulations may change, plastics may change, but you are definitely doing the right thing asking.
I've also heard that, and have seen some visors clouded by "something" although I cannot say if it was RainX. TBH I would be surprised if there was any solvents or other chemicals in it that would react with plastics, and wonder if people used something else including maybe too harsh a cloth when applying

These days I've found most bike visors seem to do a pretty good job of it in their natural state, although my new helmet hasn't yet been properly baptised.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
I used regular rain x on a face shield long ago and nothing would get the smeared haze off. On glass its great but I had to buy a new shield after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page