Anyone ride a Honda Rebel? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1100 AERO
Year: 1999
Anyone ride a Honda Rebel?

My best friend is thinking about finally getting into riding. He was looking at scramblers but there aren't many for sale in our area that aren't ridiculously overpriced. I told him he could get a deal on a shadow and learn to ride meanwhile he saves for a nicer bike. He for some reason likes the look of Rebels over the shadows.

He's about 6' tall, 220ish lbs, would a Rebel 250 be too small for him? Wondering if I should discourage him from getting that and trying to push him into a Shadow.

It'll be funny though, us pulling up to places, him @ 6' on a Rebel 250, and little me @ 5'4" in my 1100 Aero

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Last edited by Bryant; 05-24-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Both my sisters have A rebel 250 and my dad rode one home and he was 6ft 230ish pounds and his knees where above the tank. Even a older shadow would be a little small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 honda shadow vt700c - roxy
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:56 PM

Model: VT750CD
Year: 1998
My wife had a Rebel 250 it was a great little town bike. I am 6' and about 220 lbs. it would pull me around, but really struggled over 50 MPH. But if he wants to stay in town they can be fun little bikes.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:09 PM

A Rebel 250 is not going to cut it.
I have ridden lots of 250s in my life, but none were as feeble as the Rebel.

A modern Rebel 500 would work out OK I think.
They are meant to be good fun.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Garage
Way too small for a guy that height. I'm 5'11" and after sitting on one, all I could do is laugh.

http://2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:30 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
If it was a new Rebel 500, then it may be OK, but an older 250 is just way to small. He would hate it by day 2.
The 250's were used a lot for MSF courses.
Has he taken a MSF course? Those are usually 250-500 cc bikes, give him a feel for what an appropriate sized bike should be.

There are a few at a dealer near me, just sitting on one I felt goofy.

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:13 AM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
For a starter bike for a big guy something with a taller stance, but with a slight amount of juice might be in order. Have him go to a dealer and look at Enduro or Dual sport bikes. I was thinking maybe a CRF 350 if he's leaning toward Honda.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Model: VT1100C
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGeezer View Post
For a starter bike for a big guy something with a taller stance, but with a slight amount of juice might be in order. Have him go to a dealer and look at Enduro or Dual sport bikes. I was thinking maybe a CRF 350 if he's leaning toward Honda.

This is good advice. When I was young I rode an Endro 250 for my first street legal bike. I did grow out of that pretty fast but it worked perfectly fine for learning street riding. I could ride a full on trail with that bike which is what I was really after and it could go around town easily, light and small bike but tall enough. I moved up to a Yamaha XS 400 when I went full street bike. The Endro was terrible on a highway so I avoided the highway. The XS could do a highway without it being a white knuckle event. Neither bike was anywhere near my 1100 Shadow as far as high speed comfort but the Shadow is a totally different type of bike. It's also harder to control for a new to riding person.

Main question is what does this guy want to do with his bike? I was thinking about getting a scrambler and running some power lines etc but I couldn't fine any scramblers for sale used. The Shadow is filling the bill for what I'm actually doing with the bike so I'm glad that's what I bought. If I see a good deal on a dual sport I will probably buy one. My Shadow is not good on dirt or gravel roads, pretty much a death machine off of pavement. I'm not far from whole counties filled with dirt roads.

!999 VT1100C
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:03 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
my starter bike is my 84 shadow 500. Its light and easy to ride and can be had for almost free. Ive never riden a Rebel but my shadow has Rebel shocks in the reae so its pretty much the same thing. lol

🏍
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1100 AERO
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post

Has he taken a MSF course? Those are usually 250-500 cc bikes, give him a feel for what an appropriate sized bike should be.

There are a few at a dealer near me, just sitting on one I felt goofy.
GREAT IDEA!!! That hadn't occured to me. He's supposed to take the MSF course in July I think. I can probably convince him not to buy anything till he rides those bikes there and maybe that will give him more of a feel of riding smaller bikes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyP View Post
Neither bike was anywhere near my 1100 Shadow as far as high speed comfort but the Shadow is a totally different type of bike. It's also harder to control for a new to riding person.

Main question is what does this guy want to do with his bike? I was thinking about getting a scrambler and running some power lines etc but I couldn't fine any scramblers for sale used. The Shadow is filling the bill for what I'm actually doing with the bike so I'm glad that's what I bought. If I see a good deal on a dual sport I will probably buy one. My Shadow is not good on dirt or gravel roads, pretty much a death machine off of pavement. I'm not far from whole counties filled with dirt roads.
LOL I'm tiny and my first bike was an 1100. I'm glad I went big though, I could still do for more umph so I can imagine if I had stayed at a smaller bike I would have outgrown it.

Yeah i'm not sure what the deal is with scrambler type bikes. Just can't find any that are remotely a good deal for under 5-7k. Lots of 'sentimental value' bikes out there that don't sell because the owners overvalue it's worth. So you have to go to something newer in a higher price range for it to be worth it.

Shadows, I can find deals quite often on CL since we're in a big city. So no he won't be riding any dirt roads, it'll all be city streets and freeway . I think he cares more for the look or aesthetic of the bike more than the way it works etc. He's definitely not going to be trying to pop wheelies on it, and I don't think he'll be commuting on it like I do. So more of a weekend funmobile.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page