How hot is too hot? Do you still ride AGATT? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How hot is too hot? Do you still ride AGATT?

Whew... This afternoon here in Richmond, Virginia, the temp soared to 93F (still is - at 4:23pm!). I decided to get completely crazy and ditched my gear, unclip the faceshield on my HJC CL-33 open face helmet, and went for a quick ride to top off the gas tank in my beloved '07 Shadow Aero 750 (now with 43,108 miles)

Anyone else shed gear when the temps soar up into the 90's or do you still ride AGATT no matter what the weather?

2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Visited states map via motorcycle: VA (home), MD, and NC.
Next states to visit: WV, PA, & NY

Ride bell by Old Dad (thank you! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oops... I forgot to mention: Click on the photo that my wife took of me as soon as I got home. Look closely at my HJC CL-33 open face helmet. See the upper vents? The little plastic snap covers broke off on both of them, so they look like a pair of eyes on top of the helmet! LOL...

2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Visited states map via motorcycle: VA (home), MD, and NC.
Next states to visit: WV, PA, & NY

Ride bell by Old Dad (thank you! )
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Model: VT700c
Year: 1984
I ride minimal gear anyway. Gloves, leather vest or jacket, glasses, and doo rag usually. Atleast in the spring summer and fall months, winter time i add chaps and a hoodie under my leather. I ride year round here in KY. Been known to show up wet too lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:02 PM

Garage
I ride in Jean's year round and just a shirt, always wear boots and a helmet and here in Texas hot is hades hot in August. Worst feeling in the world is to stop moving and its 105 with a heat index of 120. It was so hot last summer thought my legs were melting off. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2014 Honda Shadow Phantom
Every Day Above Ground Is A good Day
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:12 PM

Id ride in a Speedo if @Coop wasnt always trying to get a pic of me in it.

Did ride thru a campground in Sturgis naked, but thats another story.

Dont take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM

It was 92 in SC today. I went for a 57 mile ride with long pants, long sleeve shirt, denim jacket, helmet, and boots. Typical ride wear. I have to admit. It wasn't bad at all. Much cooler going 35-55mph than I expected. Finished my motorcycle build about a month ago. Passed the MSF class last weekend, and have been roughly 157 miles on the bike in a week. I ride a 96 Honda vt600 Shadow. It's running great for a bike I bought in a bucket. Haha.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:38 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
Same thing regardless of temp.

Full face helmet, armored mesh jacket (liner in winter), gloves (lightweight mesh in summer, thicker gloves as weather cools), jeans, and closed toe footware (boots if long rides, tennis shoes if short rides).

Heat sucks, but not as bad as road rash.

I have taken my windshield off a few times when really hot, helps a little, but if riding for more than 20 minutes on the freeway, I get tired of the wind pushing on me all the time.

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 PM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
I ride full gear all the time...Yup, it gets REALLY uncomfortable here in FL when temps are regularly in the 90's. MSF slogan is "dress for the ride, not the fall." I agree in principle, but it's not just the fall I dress for. While I choose my routes and times carefully, there are just too many idiotic, blind, inconsiderate,,, cagers here in FL to not take every ounce of prevention. On really HOT days I wear a camel pack to hydrate. The most convincing argument for full gear on the street for me is the very end of the "Faster" MotoGP video with interviews with Valentino Rossi, Mick Doogan, and others as they talk about street riding; well worth watching. So I'll finish with two of my own sayings 1) "Sweat washes off a lot easier than blood" and 2) my mantra I recite every time I get on the bike and start up.."They're all out to kill ya..whether intentionally or by accident, the result's still the same".

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:49 PM

Im half way between DC and Baltimore.....Work in Baltimore.....Riding to work in the morning is nice.....but sure sucks coming home in the summer on the bike as I wear my jacket and gloves....miss those ventilated seats,in my volvo,lol

Bikes:

1978 Yamaya MX80
1970s Homemade bike, like 50cc..
1981 Yamaha XT 200 Enduro
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
Well I'm a ginger so, I could pass for a vampire I don't stay covered up I fry FAST.
My usual hot weather riding gear is FF helmet, denim shirt, gloves, jeans and boots, but the heat really gets to me also so if it feels like I'm getting blasted by a hairdryer at speed, I turn around and take the car with AC.
Once I took my full dressed CB750 out on a 105F day, big mistake I was very sick afterwards, so unless I'm riding close to the lake when it's that hot the bike stays parked, heat stroke is no joke.

Eventually the light always fails you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page