Accident - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1100 AERO
Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain D" View Post
I gotta call from HONDA on my estimate, they asked me to come talk to them about repair...

I`m super Glad you got a good insurance company...
State Farm has no motorcycle specific adjuster in our area??
I do NOT understand this????
We carry comprehensive on our stuff, just for the wildlife damage, weve incurred over the years, it has paid off! Covers us, be it Hogs. Dogs or DEER!!!
This covers repair in a Motorcycle vs Deer like the one I`m recovering from, I`m Super GLAD you walked away!

That AND >> What with the $43,000 bill we received >>
I believe that membership with Air Evac Lifeteam is the BEST $55 a year we`ve invested over the last 10 years!!!!

Pull up their website and see IF it is available in your area, is my suggestion,
D

I wish I`da NOT had to use this life saving flight, BUT > You NEVER KNOW!
Perks of living in a Big city I guess. Yeah AAA has been really good to me. I'm hoping they don't total out my bike since it really is just cosmetic stuff but we will see. It ultimately will depend on the other person's insurance since I have been already placed as not at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmovingtarget View Post
Glad to hear you are ok outside of a bit of road rash, and kinda funny to see that mini van took a kicking an not you of the bike!

I gotta ask is that a Ram mount for your cell phone? I have been trying to find a good cell/gps holder for my longer trips.
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/crLOQB5W
That's the one I got. Takes about 2-3 weeks to ship but it's great. Cost you $40 + at a motorcycle parts store. Fits my big old phone perfect as well as my smaller work phone (I have it mounted because I get calls a lot, my bluetooth has voice answer so I don't even have to take my hands off the handlebar but I like to know if I should answer the call or ignore it, depending on who it is LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
I found a Ram-X mount that has a built in USB port for keeping the phone/GPS charged for about $15 on eBay. It came from China, but it holds my Pixel XL so well I took video from it that looks as good or better than a GoPro, and I have no qualms about my rather expensive phone possibly being dropped or falling out of it! I kinda wish I had the larger one, but just so I could use a waterproof cover over that big phone for when it rains here (the cover has a big back plastic piece that pushes it out so the ends on the X-mount can't get around it or don't hold it so good). For that price, though, it's WELL worth it!! I can try to get you a link to one, if you're interested.
See above. I use a Pixel 3XL and it's great for me. I put one on that does not have USB as i wanted the usb to also have a cigarette lighter (for my emergency tire inflator pump thing) so I got a separate unit for power)
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/joye6cu

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:27 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
It too bad but we can get into an accident with no time to react. Even with all the skills of a pro.

Just like our buddy Captain D who was injured while not doing anything dangerous.

Now HERE is the guy doing wheelies at a 100 MPH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycle-crash-into-car-759830.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	263130  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1100 AERO
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
It too bad but we can get into an accident with no time to react. Even with all the skills of a pro.

Just like our buddy Captain D who was injured while not doing anything dangerous.

Now HERE is the guy doing wheelies at a 100 MPH.
ouch! You know, I never understood that. I see people online doing all these stunts and as they learn they drop and trash their motorcycles. I have too much love and respect for them to do that to them. These guys must be loaded lol

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:29 AM

Model: VT1100C
Garage
I have to say lane position is a big thing and so is never being a blind spot etc. When in traffic I try to always be a head or behind a vehicle never right beside it.

In LA traffic that's not a simple thing but you might want to think more about which lane you are in and lane position along with being out in front or behind vehicles in the lane besides you. Personally I don't like the middle lane on a three lane road, actually 6 lane road. The middle just means you can get hit on either side. I like to stay in lanes where I have one side of traffic and a shoulder to run out on if needed.

I live in the sticks for the most part except for one 20 mile 6 lane road that leads to a tourist island. I avoid that road when possible but sometime I have to go play in traffic. Even I-95 near me is 4 lane.

In heavy traffic cities I would rather have a sport bike, not because it is fast but is narrow and handles better than cruisers.

!999 VT1100C
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 AM

Model: Spirit 750
Year: 2007
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h13man View Post
I'm gonna bust your chops here as you have been in two "not your fault incidents", don't you think you should think about what you could do in the future to prevent getting injured or worse? Give that a thought.

Firstly @Bryant , I am glad to see you're not injured bad and was able to ride away from your accident. I live in an area with over 1 million people and at least half are not from here (high military population). This results in various driving skills. A close friend I served with was killed on his bike when a lady from a different state thought it was ok to turn left at a red light when he was in the intersection. I have had cars try to come over when I was right beside them cause they didn't even look. Which brings me to my second.....how could you say that @h13man ? You apparently don't ride in heavy traffic areas or long distance very often.

02 Goldwing GL1800 - "Gold"
07 Shadow Spirit 750

78 CB750K -went separate ways
84 KZ750 - deceased
04 Shadow Aero - passed Down
05 Shadow Aero -went separate ways
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:29 AM

I can say that as one of 50 yrs. riding experience. If one would take that time and look back to the incident, you could have done something different to avoided the incident. It's called "defensive driving"! Yes there are exceptions but being 2 times already should be a wake up call. Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings. Truthful forum observations are what they are.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabrokenarrow View Post
Firstly @Bryant , I am glad to see you're not injured bad and was able to ride away from your accident. I live in an area with over 1 million people and at least half are not from here (high military population). This results in various driving skills. A close friend I served with was killed on his bike when a lady from a different state thought it was ok to turn left at a red light when he was in the intersection. I have had cars try to come over when I was right beside them cause they didn't even look. Which brings me to my second.....how could you say that @h13man ? You apparently don't ride in heavy traffic areas or long distance very often.
For me, I will NOT ride in the blind spot or right beside a car with NO escape. I speed up, or slow down. Always have an escape plan is what my advanced riders courses I have have taken have said, always!
The escape plan may not be ideal, but, a plan.
For me, if my bike is not in front of the drivers front bumper, I get behind the back bumper far enough for them to have room to be stupid. And I totally expect every driver to be ready to run over me, I ride like I am invisible to every car, this has been preached on this forum since I joined.
I will not beat anyone up here, but the vast majority of accidents are avoidable. Yes drivers are getting worst, but, either get better at dodging idiots or park it to survive.
I'm glad you were safe, hopefully there were lessons learned by every party and none of yall ever have any close calls let alone accidents.
Btw, I've driven in NY, DC, LA, Atlanta and every major city along I95 the entire way, there are ways to escape, if, YOU are totally paying attention and expecting the worst of the drivers to try to kill you. Animals are the wild card, prevention for me...extra lights, avoid riding during peak deer rut, slow down a tad, ride near center line to give more reaction time these help tremendously, but.... They are wild.... Animals scare me 5x as much as cars.
It's easy for us riders to get distracted too, target fixation and us being distracted kill more riders than dumb drivers. How? If we do our part, we avoid their part!
Take an accident avoidance class, it will save your life!

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Even when in my car I tell my wife to just expect someone to do something stupid, because many times they will. Then you are not surprised since you were expecting it. Plan a way out.

A friend told me some years ago about a guy he knew riding a bike and a deer was standing in the road. He slowed a bit but just kept going straight, knowing the dear would jump out of the way. Well the dear didn't. It stayed right there, and he center punched it.

Crazy dear !

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Thanks Coop taking the time to reaffirming my point. I like to see all here to live to see another ride and it takes a lot diligence on our part to do so. Be safe. BTW Indiana has road tar snakes, deer, coyote's, fox, raccoon's, road debris, and 6 million people to watch out for. I'm a night traveler thus I see wildlife a lot.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 06-06-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:46 PM

Model: Spirit
Year: 2002
Garage
Just out of curiosity: Do you drive your bike slightly faster than the speed limit? Much faster than the speed limit? The exact speed limit?
Do you feel this is safer?

I usually drive slightly faster than the posted speed limit. People doing the exact or under the speed limit seem to be the most dangerous, IMHO. As long as I am slightly ahead of these people I feel safer. People riding each others tails, hitting their brakes for every bump and hitting the brakes as they swerve to the right lane to turn with no blinker. Some of this could be just Houston,Texas. As stated above, always have an escape route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page