For the new riders. - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
I tie a few feet of string on mine. Loop the loose end oner the handlebars, that way you don't forget and leave it lay.

Also easier to pick up by the string after you have mounted your sled and put the stand up...
I pass out "kick stand pads" at our ABATE of GA events which our lawyer provides...
Yeah I gotta string attached to mine too, I`ve left a couple when I forgot to pick it up

Therapy is painful, BUT I`m progressing,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

Last edited by "Captain D"; 06-12-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Model: 1100 AERO
Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carr View Post
oooohhhh. I get it. Asphalt is not very common up here because the drastic temp differences here give it a very short life span but it used to be used more when I was a kid. I do remember it getting quite pliable on the summer months. Here with summers reaching highs of 30 to 35C (86 to 95F) and winters hitting lows of -30 to -35 C -22 to -30F) even pavement has to be redone every 5 to 10 years
we hit 101 in LA over the weekend. Gross.
There's plenty of asphault out here but I never had an issue with it. I should pick something up to use and keep with me in case anyway.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carr View Post
oooohhhh. I get it. Asphalt is not very common up here because the drastic temp differences here give it a very short life span but it used to be used more when I was a kid. I do remember it getting quite pliable on the summer months. Here with summers reaching highs of 30 to 35C (86 to 95F) and winters hitting lows of -30 to -35 C -22 to -30F) even pavement has to be redone every 5 to 10 years
It also works on grassy areas.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
I tie a few feet of string on mine. Loop the loose end oner the handlebars, that way you don't forget and leave it lay.

Also easier to pick up by the string after you have mounted your sled and put the stand up...
I did that when I was using a 4 x 4 electrical box cover and forgot it was hanging by the handlebar a couple of times. Almost nailed my bike. Now I have a bright orange stand that hangs by bright dayglo yellow string.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Model: VT1100C
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
we hit 101 in LA over the weekend. Gross.
There's plenty of asphault out here but I never had an issue with it. I should pick something up to use and keep with me in case anyway.

It's more a problem in driveways or at least that's what I have noticed.

I have a little block of wood in my saddle bag. It stands out so I don't just leave but if I do no big deal I'll just cut another.

For that matter I try to always park in the shade so my seat isn't 120 degrees when I get back on it. I'll roll right up under a tree and park. No one has ever said anything to me.

!999 VT1100C
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:08 PM

I have a piece of 1 x 4 x 6" board in my saddlebag too and keep an eye on what the foot is going down on, the board also puts more weight back on the tires, by steepening the angle.
I think the main problem is with new asphalt and poorly compacted asphalt on a hot day, agreed driveways are the worst.

I avoid parking my heavy leaned over cruiser in damp areas, or fancy looking grass.

The hefty lean on the Shadow kick stands can work for you, up to a point, on cross slopes.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Model: 1100 AERO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRoad View Post
avoid parking my heavy leaned over cruiser in damp areas, or fancy looking grass.

The hefty lean on the Shadow kick stands can work for you, up to a point, on cross slopes.

ya, wassup with that!! my 99 aero feels like i'm laying it completely on it's side, the kick stand is so short. On my 95 ace it was not leaned down as much

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:39 AM

FYI

soda can / pop can / similar...stomped flat works rather well and I have begun to reli on finding them at the places I stop for a bit ....at home:work: regular iron plate is just left in place..
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:00 PM

Model: 600 & 1100
Year: '05 '07
Never though of the electrical plate-good call. I always carry a freebie "ad" plate from Geico from bike rallies

Wyoming American Legion Riders
'07 spirit
'12 Triumph Rocket
'05 600 VLX
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Yellow pad with bright pink string tied on it. wrapped around the handle bar or mirror you cant for get it...
In case of and emergency stop just off of the road you better have something!
I bet mine is visible in 10 or so tags I have claimed in the tag game

Ride Bell By The Bride and Canyon
Retired bell by Old Dad
2 time BOTM winner
06 VTX Glide & 05 ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page