Garage

Perhaps consider one of these bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:37 AM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
All I know is that if the deer was insured by State Farm too, you're screwed!

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 AM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1994
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theja1 View Post
Who knows. Iíve never gotten a quote for an insurance company. They have always gotten them for me. Thatís what I pay them for....they have never paid me to work for them.
Same for me.
Call insurance, adjuster comes and looks at it (at home or in shop), they tell me the price for repair. Never had a vehicle totaled (knock on wood).

Last time it was on my dime, I had some front pass side damage to a car.
I had the adjuster come to my work and looked it over there. Got the estimate from the insurance the next day, they cut me a check for that price and they were done.
I then sourced a lot of the parts myself or did not replace what they said needed to be done (headlight I got for 1/4 price, rubber strip on bumper with scuff on it I re-used and buffed out, said grill needed replacement, but did not, same for fender well, one plastic rivet was broken), and went to a cheaper local shop that worked with me on it (they let me pull off the bad parts, were fine with letting me put on the parts I sourced, etc).
Basically saved myself the deductible cost.

1994 VT1100C
Starfire 185/65/15 rear tire (Darkside)
Perilli MT66 Route 110/90/19 front tire
Progressive 430HD Rear Shocks
Mustang Seat
National Cycle Windscreen

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
HONDA shop locally gave the estimate to both me & State Farm through e mail...

I`ve bought my truck back and repaired it myself a long time ago and that happened twice.
BUT the third time State Farm wouldn`t go that route, I had to give it up
Even though deer don`t do much damage to a FORD F150!

Like My Baby, It costs more to fix than I had paid for the truck...
I have no idea what "Blue Book" is...

We`ll see what the insurance has to offer, decide & go from there...
Thanks Guys,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:08 PM

Model: VT750C2F Spirit
Year: 2009
I just went through this twice in the last 3 years.

The insurance company receives the repair bill and looks up the book value of the vehicle. If the repair exceeds 80% of the book value, they will consider it a total loss, a.k.a "totaled".

Then they begin a detailed "Actual Cash Value" assessment, what it would have sold for minutes before the damage occurred. They will try to find 8 vehicles for sale in your area of the same model/year/condition and +/-10% odometer with prices in an acceptable range of the book price. The distance from your town gets expanded if necessary until they have at least 5, and average the for-sale prices to come up with the ACA. That is what they will offer you. You do have the right to supply supplemental information, pictures, receipts, your own market research if you disagree and try to come to a better settlement.

I did my own research and my number was within 2% of their actual offer.
If it's your own insurance, they will subtract your collision deductible.

If you want to keep the vehicle, they will subtract a "book salvage value".
If you have a lean against the vehicle, they will pay out the settlement to the lien holder, and the leinholder then gives you the remainder, if any.

If you keep the vehicle you still have to go through retitling paperwork to get it branded as SALVAGE.
Many states will allow you to upgrade the title to REBUILT after the repairs are complete. This requires an application and paperwork submitted for parts/labor and any vin stamped pieces used must have accompanying paperwork, to prove you are not committing fraud, a safety inspection and a VIN inspection, and the application to upgrade the title is approved.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
A $2700 check will get you a comparable bike of similar vintage that hasn't been through an impact. Just thinking out loud... Glad to hear you are mending.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Thank you @Kryton this is exactly the experienced comment I was asking for...
More than I expected, an excellent view of the way they do it...

SO, I`ll wait & see what State Farm offers,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Model: VLX 600
Year: 2004
People have had very good experiences with "salvage" titles. Other people have had horrible experiences with "salvage" titles.

I think the suggestion that you take the money and buy another bike that has not been totaled is a good one.

But 30 years in the insurance industry and a recent personal experience encourages me to add some advice. Some adjusters will do exactly what Kryton said. Others, working for the same company may be much more lazy and simply look at a NADA or some other "value" book and tell you what they'll pay you. Luck of the draw.

A few years ago I had a collision with my 2003 Chevy 2500HD diesel. Repair estimate reached $8000 and insurance company said "total loss". The nice young lady from the my insurance company called and said they would pay me $8500. and take the truck.

I called the shop and said, "If that $8000 estimate is firm, I may buy back the salvage and have you fix the truck. I'll be out of pocket a couple of thousand but I can't replace the truck for less than $12,000 or $14,000. so I'll still be OK. " I was told, "$8,000 was not a repair estimate. It's where I was when the insurance company said to stop figuring. No idea what actual repairs would be, just a lot more than $8000.

So I went back to insurance company and suggested that $8500 was so low we didn't even have a point to start negotiating. I guess we're going to arbitration. Did she know it was a diesel? Yes. Did she know I had a bed slide and super large topper? No, but it didn't figure in the value anyway since they weren't factory option. At which point I said, "Oh I misspoke - when the salvage guy comes to get the truck it won't have a bed slide or topper. And we were still going to arbitration."

She said, "We use two different appraisal services. Sometimes the other one is a little kinder to trucks. Let me check it and get back to you. Less that 30 minutes later she told me that she could give me $13,500.

It's too late to make a long story short but to recap - don't take their first offer.

Tom Cook
2004 Shadow VT600C
Mustang seat
1 5/8" Holey
40 tooth rear sprocket
T J Brutal Velocity Stack and Performance Jet Kit

2003 Shadow VT600CD
Vance and Hines Pipes

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Well, What`ll I do now?

Go pick up my Baby!!!

I just agreed with State Farm that we`ll settle this insurance claim today for the numbers given, No dickering involved...

They say "high" mileage caused it to be considered total loss...
SO I bought it back from State Farm @$302.10 salvage price and I will receive a check for myb incurred loss also...

I keep my Baby...

There is a Bright side to it,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
Enjoying Life,D

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:15 AM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
Im glad you got your baby back. $300 is a great deal for that bike even if it is a little banged up. Are you planning on building it back the way it was or go more custom? Do the work yourself or do you have a trusted shop?

🏍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page