Sabre Redesign - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C2
Year: 2004
Garage
Sabre Redesign

For Father's Day, my wife gave me the go-ahead to turn my '04 Sabre into a "bobber".

All of the parts appeared on my doorstep on Friday, and I started the build process today! Progress for today:

- seat assembled and put on bike
- rear signal lights replaced (though not connected yet)
- front signal lights replaced
- license plate holder installed
- paint ordered for the paint job

On the docket for tomorrow:
- connect signal lights to power
- remove everything from handlebars
- replace handlebars
- drill holes for tail light into fender
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	263408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	263410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	263412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	263414  

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
One of the changes I'd like to do (in phase two) is custom exhausts. However, I really dislike any of the options out there for the Sabre :-/ Any ideas on where to get information on custom exhausts? Or places that aren't mainstream (V&H, Cobra) that will make custom exhausts for the Sabre? I'm looking for something similar to V&H's Short Shots.

Thanks!

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:27 PM

Model: VT1100C2 Sabre
Year: 2002
Garage
See now you're making me jealous... I've been trying to convince my wife that converting my Sabre to a bobber is worth the $$ it's going to take, but so far dumb things like the mortgage and car payments have been getting in the way.

Regarding the exhaust - your only option might be to go custom. There just isn't many options out there for the Shadow 1100's that isn't either Cobra or V&H. Not that there is anything wrong with either, I've got the longshots on mine, and although I want something shorter and sportier, if I go with a shorter pipe I'm going to sacrifice sound. The shorter and narrower the pipe, the higher pitch the exhaust.

Where did you order your parts from? The only place I've found that makes what I like is Blue Collar, but they are pricey to say the very least.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1984
Garage
My wife could care less what I do to my bikes. "Look hunny, I boght a motorcycle."
"Thats nice dear."
" Look hunny, I built a bobber out of my motorcycle."
"Thats nice dear"
"Hey hunny, Im thinking about pulling the engine out of a wrecked airplane and putting it in my bike."
"Thats nice dear."
Her Fu ks given: 0

🏍
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:12 PM

Model: Sabre 1100
Year: 2005
Veeeerrrry interesting... in all honesty, I love the way my Sabre looks just the way it is - I replaced the handlebars, added a small windshield and maybe someday I'll extend the forks a couple inches, but thats it. But as a lover of all things Sabre, I'll be avidly following every detail of your making yours your own. Especially looking forward to seeing the front end after you remove the fork covers - bobber can't have shrouded forks, can it?

Thanks for bringing us along on your journey

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
Veeeerrrry interesting... in all honesty, I love the way my Sabre looks just the way it is - I replaced the handlebars, added a small windshield and maybe someday I'll extend the forks a couple inches, but thats it. But as a lover of all things Sabre, I'll be avidly following every detail of your making yours your own. Especially looking forward to seeing the front end after you remove the fork covers - bobber can't have shrouded forks, can it?

Thanks for bringing us along on your journey
I did that with mine - pulled the chrome fork covers and replaced with rubber gaiters. I have to say it really changes the look of the front end and is so much closer to that bobber/rat rod look I was after. If you're intending on doing this, just know that it is a real pain unless you have access to an actual lift.

Figured I'd also add - I ordered those from Amazon from Billet Proof Designs for about $20. I measured the forks and was going to go with the larger one, but went with the smaller 39MM gaiters instead. I'm glad I did - there is a small plastic/rubber ring at the bottom of where the chrome cover sits on the fork - these fit nearly 100% perfect with no need to shim or scrunch up for a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	263436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1 (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	263438  

Last edited by Ironsky; 06-17-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsky View Post
Where did you order your parts from? The only place I've found that makes what I like is Blue Collar, but they are pricey to say the very least.
They are from Blue Collar Bobbers - and while pricey are well worth it with how easy they were installed! Especially for a guy with very little mechanical experience and zero welding experience.

Today's work consisted of:
- connected the rear blinkers to power
- installed the rear fender bracket - only waiting on paint (that's two weeks out) to finish that
- removed the handlebar clutter and started planning the transition
- replaced the handlebars
- removed the windshield - I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but I think it looks much better!

As for the shocks, I was tentatively planning something like that for phase two, but unsure how to go about it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

Except for the taillight, all lighting is finished. The taillight will be installed after the fender is painted and mounted. Now simply waiting for the new handlebar controls (which won't be on the handlebars) and grips, and things should be good to go. Hoping to have everything finished by the time paint gets here, so all I need to concentrate on will be painting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	263476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	263478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2705.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	263482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2709.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	263484  

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM

Model: VT500C
Year: 1983
Garage
Every Wife loves a Bobber Bike...
1. They no longer have to ride on the back and be scared to death of what you are doing on the road...
2. Bobber means ya can't out any other bimbo's on the back of your bike either...
3. Watch for her to up your insurance so she gets PAID if you do anything exceptionally dumb because she Isn't on the back anymore...

Did I miss anything??

Ride paranoid. Don't let anything distract you.
Keep the paint side up, wear the lid & leathers.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Stoker View Post

As for the shocks, I was tentatively planning something like that for phase two, but unsure how to go about it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated!
You're going to have to figure out how to lift the front end 1-2ft in the air, and basically remove both forks from the upper and lower trees. It's an arduous process because 1) the fork covers have these rubber donut things keeping them from rattling, which also keep things from sliding out nice and 2) the angle and weight of the front wheel keeps friction working against you. Having a partner is nice so you can wiggle it out once you get the pinch bolts loosened. I ended up having to wedge something in the pinch gap there to give me even more wiggle room.

I ended up doing most of it myself and utilized a wooden dowel and mallet to smack the tops of the forks out, and it still took me the better part of 2-3 hours. It's deceptively simple, but it takes forever. I got help from a post over here - will add when I can find it.

It's a lot of work, but it makes a world of difference in the attitude of the bike, and was well worth it for me.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Garage
These folks were instrumental in me getting things taken apart and back together:

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72...l-gaiters.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page