Anyone lose their nerve to go over tall,long bridges? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
Anyone lose their nerve to go over tall,long bridges?

A friend mine who all of sudden put his Harley up for sale and he has been riding for many years, many miles.

Seems like he lost his nerve for speed and tall/long bridges.

Has this happened to any of you or do you know someone who has had this happened?

Some back ground. No big wrecks or anything like that. S has been riding a Road King for probably 12-14 years now. Same decked out bike. He use to go on big trips with his girl friend, sometimes 1,000 miles one way. Road the bike to work most of the time for the past decade.

Now the strange stuff. I said something a few months ago about it was windy out and I didn't like going over the bridge much and S said I don't like that either, I try to avoid any big bridges. Since then S won't go on any trips that involve bridges, which I live on the coast so most of the interesting places involve a bridge. One day he said he would go but then called me back saying it's going to be windy and we would have to cross some long bridges over the water so he didn't think it was a good day. He totally won't go to Savannah GA which involves going over a bridge that is I think is 180 feet tall so the ships can pass under it. He won't go that way period. In fact I think he is just done riding motorcycles. He also said that he doesn't like the highway any more prefers 45 MPH or lower. I'm not much on tall/long bridges or going 80 down I-95 but it's more annoying than I'm scared of it. I think he is scared of it. I got a new helmet ordered so 80 on I-95 might not annoy me any more. I get a little bobble head thing going at speed with my current helmet.

Talked to S's son while I was down in Orlando last week and he connected the dots. S's son is 22-23 years old BTW. I took the family to Universal and friend's son went with us because his girl friend is one of the meet + greet characters. BTW the gender of the character doesn't have to match who is in the custom. This girl works for both Disney and Universal being a character actor. She was entertaining dressed up as Scooby Doo later on she was King Julien, not to sure he is. When she got off she came out to ride the ride with us. S's son then tells me he didn't know what was up with his Dad because "He's turning into such a *****". LOL. S won't go near a theme park ride and apparently this has been coming on for a while. That's why he wanted to go out with us since we ride the coasters etc. According to S's son this has been slowly going on for the last few years, just kind of one thing after another that Dad won't do.

Just wondering if anyone knows anyone who this has happened to? S is 48-49 years old, he isn't that old. If he was 70-75 I wouldn't think much about it.

Just a strange thing going on related to motorcycles in my world.

BTW the new Hadgrid ride is as close as you will get to riding a motorcycle without the chance of hitting something. This forum doesn't strike me as people who go to theme parks but thought I would let you know.

!999 VT1100C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:29 PM

Garage
I don't have a problem with bridges but some concern with strong sidewinds especially when I am going slow or stopped. As I age I am less and less enthusiastic about riding but it is also the local traffic that has gotten worse over the years. I don't ride on the weekends due to traffic and I see an accident almost every day when driving (car).

This year I doubt I will ride 2000 km. Longer distances are simpler to fly and I now consider the bikes inconvenient (doesn't help that my GF doesn't like the sun so won't ride).

On the plus side I have ridden 400,000 km and more than 55 continuous years so if the thrill is diminishing I know why.

PS. I built waterparks but don't especially like the rides at any amusement park.

G.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:34 PM

I had a weird incident recently, it wasn't riding but walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. I've crossed it many times, but for some reason, I got freaked out about half way across. It was rush hour, lots of traffic, subway underneath, vibrations, the height, etc. I'm not a fan of heights, but the bridge has never bothered me. I wondered if something has changed in me.

Don't mind the freeway, but I have to say, I was a lot more comfortable with my Yamaha FJR1300 on the highway. I always feel the Aero should have a 6th gear.

Anyways, I can sort of relate. Maybe there's a newly developed phobia?

1998 Aero 1100 (Maybellene)

Last edited by dobie1; 06-27-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 AM

Model: VT700C
Year: 1984
Garage
I've been across the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan a few times, 200 ft deck height 26,372 ft long, not my favorite thing to do, I don't like heights.
my brother stopped riding in his forties because of a few to close for comfort incidences with stupid motorists, I know someone that just recently had to quit riding and was upset about it, he has rapid onset Parkinson's and his balance is shot.
There are many reasons someone can lose their nerve and stop riding and we shouldn't think any less of them because of it.
Myself, I rarely ride at night anymore because we have lots of deer, and I've had a few close calls with them.

Eventually the light always fails you.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:45 AM

Garage
Confederation bridge near where I live. From New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island. 8 miles long. Small bridges dont bother me but I dont like crossing this one on the bike. Sometimes windy and you can see the ocean on each side. I do it because my wife loves going to PEI but I'm so glad when I reach the other side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1493404_830545790308347_8063963860081878518_o-1_1561715131635.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	263692  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 AM

I'm not afraid of heights but widths terrify me.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobie1 View Post
I had a weird incident recently, it wasn't riding but walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. I've crossed it many times, but for some reason, I got freaked out about half way across. It was rush hour, lots of traffic, subway underneath, vibrations, the height, etc. I'm not a fan of heights, but the bridge has never bothered me. I wondered if something has changed in me.
It is the realization of your own mortality. Dealing with commercial roofing & waterproofing I tend to find myself on top of many hi-rise buildings. When I was a young man the roof edge didnít bother me at all, and I would walk the parapets on 2-3 story buildings. Now that Iím in my 50ís and nearing 60, Iím much more cautious and much less foolish when it comes to heights.

As for windy bridges on my bikes? I donít like them, but it certainly isnít going to stop me from riding . . . at least not at this point in time.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:31 AM

I'm 64.

Bridges and such don't bother me much. I've never been a speedy wild rider, but I'll cruise along at whatever the speed limit is...I'm not a rolling roadblock.
However, I will avoid riding outside of my skill level and I don't take chances or dares...I've nothing to prove to anyone.
I like to finish my rides intact.

Amusement parks are another thing. I used to ride just about anything. At a certain point, some years ago, all at once and nothing first, some rides would cause uncomfortable dizziness and nausea. I never tossed my cookies, but the fun was gone. Who wants to feel sick?
I'm convinced it's age related. I've talked to numerous people who had the same experience.

It's not that we lost our nerve...We just don't want to lose our lunch.

2009 Suzuki C50 "Sonya"
(My Honda 2005 VLX "Saya" was retired in 2018. She will be missed.)

"Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. God is merciful and will hear your prayers" - St. Pio
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
Iím not much for heights. I live 30 min ride from the closest border crossing in the 1000 Islands area of Ontario and NY state. To cross there you have to go over 2 suspension bridges. On the Canadian side itís 120 feet tall and 750 feet long. The bridge on the US side is 150 and 800. I have yet to cross them on the bike, I get anxious just thinking about it. Yet there is a bridge just as high and just as long that I cross regularly. Something about those 2 bridges that make me nervous.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM - Sold Oct 2018

2008 VTX 1300T - Oct 2018 Co-BOTM

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:40 AM

Model: VT750CA Aero
Year: 2007
Garage
Interesting subject. I don't have a fear of crossing bridges due to wind or height, even though I DO have a fear of falling. Height itself does not bother me as long as I FEEL secure.

However, what crosses my mind every time I cross the 245' high Clays Ferry bridge on I 75 that crosses the KY river near Lexington, KY, is the fact that the bridge spans an active a fault line. EVERY time I cross that bridge I think about the 1989 Loma Prieta earth quake where all those bridges collapsed... Fortunately, the fault is not very active and the bridge is supposedly designed to handle anything the fault can produce. High winds in the valley can make crossing the bridge a white knuckle affair, especially in heavy traffic with large trucks being blown sideways.

I fear idiots on cells phones far more.

Maybe your friend should go see a doctor. Brain tumors can cause sudden changes in behavior.

Trinity my 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

I'm nobodies slave, I'm nobodies master,
Time is mine, morning, night, and afternoon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page