bike fell off it's side stand today... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Model: VT1100C Black
Year: 1986
Garage
Red face bike fell off it's side stand today...

So my bike fell off it's side stand today. I pulled into a friends driveway. shut the bike off. put the kickstand down with my foot, like I always do, then got off in one motion. As I removed my hands from the handlebars I felt a slight forward movement of the bike. It started to topple over. I was able to grab both handle grips almost immediately. But by then the momentum had developed and the 1100 is a big bike. It was then by some stroke of luck, or was it an intentional Honda design, that the small wear nut on the bottom of the foot peg stuck straight into the driveway. This stopped the momentum of the bike long enough to make the weight manageable enough for me to pick it back up quickly. Phew... so close to bending my new handlebars or scratching, and maybe breaking, my new hard bags...

So I found myself wondering why this happened as it hasn't happened before. What did I do differently? At first I blamed it on my friends slightly uneven driveway. When I got home later this night, I noticed the bike make a small movement forward again after my combo move of putting down the side stand and getting off the bike at the same time. This time I was able to control it. So I asked myself the question again... And I thought of an answer. Earlier in the day I made an adjustment on my back suspension to stiffen up the rear shock preload. I surmise that this causes a bit more of the weight to transfer to the front forks during my dismount thus causing the problem. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:20 AM

Model: VT700
Year: 1985
Garage
Sad to admit, but I have had a few "drops" over the years, and looking back most were on sloped driveways. So, as one somewhat experienced with "dropsy" here's my observation. The rake and sag on sport bikes make them a bit more susceptible to what you experienced, so stiffening your rear suspension likely produced a similar result. That said, even with no adjustments, it's a good habit to get into to stop at a slight angle with your kickstand on the "uphill" side whenever you are on a parking area with any slope at all. The second habit to get into is to leave your left heel planted directly behind your sidestand when you dismount. This should prevent your side stand from beginning its backward travel as the bike settles.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 AM

Model: Shadow Spirit VT1100C A
Year: 2000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Torchio View Post
I pulled into a friends driveway. shut the bike off. put the kickstand down with my foot, like I always do, then got off in one motion.

When I got home later this night, I noticed the bike make a small movement forward again after my combo move of putting down the side stand and getting off the bike at the same time. This time I was able to control it.
There's your answer right there. You are getting off your bike while it's not fully resting on the side stand.

When you walk up to your bike, you leave it leaned over on the sidestand, straddle it, then raise it straight up. Do the exact opposite when getting off it.

I've seen people do this many times over the years, attempting to get off while the bike is still partially standing up. It has nothing to do with shock preload.

Last edited by Chuck_Michigan; 06-29-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGeezer View Post
. The second habit to get into is to leave your left heel planted directly behind your sidestand when you dismount. This should prevent your side stand from beginning its backward travel as the bike settles.

I use the side of the foot regardless of surface level but a visual comes into play also.

The Vulcan and the Valk have different angle/length kickstands thus when I thought the Vulcan was down in position it wasn't thus 825 lbs. on the pavement. Embarrassing but it happens. If you haven't had a drop you taint' riding.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie "Adele"
05' 1600 Vulcan "Ludabelle"

Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.

Last edited by h13man; 06-29-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Model: Vt750
Year: 1983
Garage
Similar thing happened to me on a slight down hill. It fell over and my right leg was under the saddlebag. I had to wiggle out, looking around for any observers of course, and no big damage was done. Clutch lever bent a little.

Now I always leave it in PARK = leave it in first gear when shutting off.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:34 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
I`ve done the same...
BUT now > Whenever I park on a downhill with the front facing downhill, I click her into first gear...
It`s embare-ass-ing too...
I got off and walked away one time, folks walking towards me made an awful face as they watched my bike fall over with a CRASH!
I walked back to it, Backed up to the bike grabbed the frame near the seat in one hand and the handlebars with the other hand and backed up, using my legs to right the fallen bike...
I then put it in gear after I let the stand back down...

I wanna Ride,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Oh and HD has a stand lock, which prevents this from happening too...

I wanna Ride,
D

`98 VT750 A.C.E.
Motorcycle Rider Rights Activist
ABATE member 40+yrs.
www.ABATEGA.org
(DC District 13)
www.mrf.org
www.MSF-USA.org
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/Biker_Rights/History_of_Abate/history_of_abate.htm
Enjoying Life,D

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Captain D" View Post
Oh and HD has a stand lock, which prevents this from happening too...

I wanna Ride,
D

I think a lot of new riders to motorcycles are trying to copy what they did on two wheeled pedal bikes. Stop, make a half-assed attempt to put the kickstand down and then dismount while the bike is still vertical. I've even seen new riders stop the bike and dismount without putting the kickstand down at all.

I taught my wife to stop, turn the bars to the right full lock, lower the stand fully, then dismount. She finally stopped dropping the damn thing, and that's been well over 25 years ago with no mishaps since.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 PM

Model: VT1100C
Year: 1999
Garage
I've always been a little paraniod about the kick not being all the way in the locked position so I always make sure the bike is resting on the stand and on solid ground before I get off. I don't think I ever dropped one getting off but I have always been suspect of the kick stand. Don't know why?

!999 VT1100C
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyP View Post
I've always been a little paraniod about the kick not being all the way in the locked position so I always make sure the bike is resting on the stand and on solid ground before I get off. I don't think I ever dropped one getting off but I have always been suspect of the kick stand. Don't know why?

Me too. It's called a healthy respect for our equipment. Having it is exactly why we don't drop our bikes.

The guy who sold me my very first motorcycle in 1963 gave me the best advice ever. "The bike is your master. When you think you are the master of the bike, it will teach you that you really aren't."

Keep that 'suspicion' always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in