Honda Shadow Forums banner

Wife is utterly convinced I am a Harley guy

3K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  CrazyDave 
#1 ·
Like the title says, my wife thinks I am a Harley guy and I can't shake that notion from her head. I am definitely a Cruiser guy... Yes, I own a Harley. Yes I am putting a lot of Harley parts on my Honda Shadow. Yes, I am saving up to buy another Harley... But I'm not a Harley guy, I've never been that myopic. However, I can see that at face value it may look as though I am a Harley guy...

But;
My first bike was my Shadow, and I love it, and I refuse to get rid of it no matter how many problems my particular bike has. I'm modding and repairing my way through them one at a time. I admit I am changing all of the handle bar mounted controls to Harley parts, but I'm doing this for three justifiable reasons... I hate the seating position and am putting taller bars on to change that and I happened to get a fantastic deal on a set of Road King take-offs ($32), I want to mirror the controls on my Harley as I genuinely like them better than the hand controls on the Honda and I'm sick of accidentally pressing the wrong button because I forget which bike I'm on (not literally. But I do keep hitting the horn thinking its the blinker), and I hate the fact that the bike does not have hazard lights.

I did buy a Heritage Softail. I was looking to step up from the 750, and yes at the time I was looking for a Harley, But I only ever planned on buying one Harley. I needed something smooth and comfortable to commute to work in and the Softail fit all of those bills...there was also the fact that my best friend would not shut up about my need for getting a Harley, so even though I absolutely did not get it for that reason, it did shut him up. But I've always loved the look of the Heritage and its the one bike that I always said, "If I buy a Harley, its going to be a Heritage." That said...for some odd reason I still want a Road King....but I want to put a VT1100 water cooled power plant on it to, or maybe a Vmax Motor, so, whose a Harley fan now, lol.

I decided I was ready to take the next step up in power and start looking at muscle bikes. I was intent on a Triumph Rocket III for a long time (over a year) and the Honda Valkaryie was a mainstay in my thoughts for months...But as I searched I came upon the VRod...AND I AM IN LOVE!!!!. I did not even realize that it was a Harley when I first found out about it...I absolutely loved the look and that prompted me to look further into it. The rest is history. That is the bike I am saving up for. I do not want the V-Rod because its a Harley, I want the Harley because its a V-Rod.

I also have plans for a Vucan 750 and a Honda Fury in my stable... Both of which will end up with Harley controls...for the same reasons as the Shadow...I just like them better. But at the end of the day, I definitely prefer liquid cooled bikes, which Harley is not known for, and my favorite thing about the Shadow is that it is light and nimble...something else Harley doesn't do...or do well. I've ridden the Street models and they really kind of suck. for the price tag, I feel that they are laughable at best.

But no matter how hard I try, the wife will not believe me when I say that I am not a Harley fanatic. I don't know why it irritates me so much...maybe cause she seems to think that I also fit into the 'Harley man' reputation...which is an image I try to fight constantly... I don't know, I just had to rant about it for a bit. Anyone else deal with this kinda crap?

See less See more
#2 ·

But no matter how hard I try, the wife will not believe me when I say that I am not a Harley fanatic. I don't know why it irritates me so much...maybe cause she seems to think that I also fit into the 'Harley man' reputation...which is an image I try to fight constantly... I don't know, I just had to rant about it for a bit. Anyone else deal with this kinda crap?
Not really, no. What I always ask guys is... "What bike would you ride if you were the last man on Earth?"

Many people falter at this question, because to them, being seen on a certain bike is more important than the actual riding experience.

#3 ·

Not really, no. What I always ask guys is... "What bike would you ride if you were the last man on Earth?"

Many people falter at this question, because to them, being seen on a certain bike is more important than the actual riding experience.
That's easy...any cruiser. Comfort over fashion or performance.

#4 ·
If you want a Harley that's more "light and nimble", you need to try a Dyna (not the newest ones, which are a glorified Softail, but from a few years ago, at least) or an FXR. I got a '13 Dyna SuperGlide, partly for the great deal (almost $3k UNDER Blue Book, with a big box of "extra" parts, too), and partly because of the way it handles. It has TONS of power with a 96" motor (1586cc), and still handles ALMOST as well and quickly as my VT750DC did! I LOVE it!! When my wife told me I could get a "new bike" (meaning new-to-me, but not brand new), she wanted one with fairing/ saddlebags, trunk, etc., but as this is my daily ride to/from work, I didn't really want that, and felt like I was being "led" to get this Dyna. Man, am I GLAD!! Since then, I got saddlebags for it, and a more comfortable seat for my wife, and she now doesn't mind riding with me on it, but she still keeps after me for a trunk and bigger windshield, so I'm checkin on the windshields, but I still don't want a trunk. I figure that WHEN I get that, I'll be riding a "geezer glide" as some call them, with all the bells and whistles, farkles, etc.

#5 ·
Ive never riden a true Harley but there are several models Id like to. I own a Buell M2 Cyclone but I dont think thats a Harley in the purest sense of the name. I too love the look of the V-Rod and would jump at the opportunity to buy one if I found one reasonably priced. Im not a fan of baggers which seems to be Harleys bread and butter but thats not to say I don't like Harleys. Im not into any particular brands I'm into bikes.
I do understand your aversion to being labled a "Harley guy". I had a guy working at my shop a few years back who was a Harley fanatic. He didnt actually own any bikes but wore Harley clothes, had a harley tattoo and would not shut up about Harleys. Every time a customer brought in a bike that wasnt a Harley hed go off about what junk it was and how nothing was as good as a Harley. One day my business partner returned to town with a recently purchased Honda Fury on his deck truck. This kid got an instant boner. He fawned over the bike expressing how cool he thought it was and how that was "a real mans bike". I just about died laughing when he got close enough to it to read Honda. The look on his face was priceless, like he just found out hed been sleeping with his sister. He didnt have much to say after that. To label yourself a "Harley guy" is to close your mind to hundreds of very cool bikes made by other manufacturers.

#6 ·
I don't have an aversion to being a Harley enthusiast. I love Harleys and I am not ashamed to admit it. But I also love Hondas, and there are other bikes from other brands I am sure I would love if given the chance to ride/own them. (Simultaneously drooling equally over Vulcans, 80's Gold wings, Viragos, Furys and VRods right now) Harley's are not the end all be all motorcycle to me. I guess my aversion to being a 'Harley guy' however, is the negative side to the connotation that hyper-myopic Harley guys look down on and chastise other cruiser riders and motorcyclists. Like when my buddy told me that I didn't rate to put Harley brand brake fluid in my Honda. Or when this D-bag that told me to leave a Harley Dealership because I had arrived on my Honda previously to even owning the Heritage. Or when another acquaintance of mine told me that I could not partake of the free popcorn and beer at the Harley Dealership until I bought a Harley... That is the kind of human being she envisions when she says, 'Harley guy', and I guess that is why it sticks in my craw, and even hurts a bit, when she says it. I usually can't give a crap what people think, I'm a bit of an irreverant A-Hole myself, but when it comes out of her mouth its a different story. But I'm honestly just happy to be on two wheels, even happier to own several choices of two wheels to ride on, and even happier than that, that my bikes are cruisers...cause that is just the lollipop flavor I prefer.

#17 ·
Her definition of Harley Guy is, in my opinion, pretty freaking negative. To her a Harley isn't just a guy who likes Harleys, but a guy that is grossly condescending of anything not Harley. I'm not that in the least. I do love my Harley, but not really any more than I love my Shadow. Anyway, its just a source of frustration for me, that's all. I guess I'm the only one.

#8 ·
I’m a biker and motorcycle lover...all motorcycles (well, except @Coop ‘s lol).

I loved my Shadow (still miss it). I love my Vic. I love my Harley.

I just need another one now, lol.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

#9 ·
Next time we are together, wear some stacked shoes where you can reach the ground and you ride it, you will change your tune !

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

#14 ·
#15 ·
A VROD is a nice bike but you will get zero street cred with that. The Harley guys don't like that bike, it's not a "real" Harley.

The Dyna which is now out of production is what you want in a Harley. Same size as a VT1100 about the same weight and it has more power. Take one for a test ride to check it out. Personally I would go for the Dyna Super Glide but there are a few variations.

#16 ·
A VROD is a nice bike but you will get zero street cred with that. The Harley guys don't like that bike, it's not a "real" Harley.

The Dyna which is now out of production is what you want in a Harley. Same size as a VT1100 about the same weight and it has more power. Take one for a test ride to check it out. Personally I would go for the Dyna Super Glide but there are a few variations.
Hard core Harley guys, I've partied with a few in a past life.
Other Harleys don't even exist to those guys, but give 'em a few beers at the race track and they will cheer on anything that says Harley-Davidson on it.
Sporties are bikes you buy the "Old Lady".
VRods aren't real Harleys.
Right.

I guess they won't be doling out $30,000.00 for a Live Wire either.

Heaven help H-D.
It seems the only time I see a younger guy on a Harley he's wearing colors.

#24 · (Edited)
Well...if you look like one of the guys from SONS OF ANARCHY, don't bathe or shave often, and that's your general dress and gear...that puts one in the Harley Guy category...

But if you like engines that actually WORK right and shaft drive & wear reflective jackets & a helmet...that makes you a HONDA or YAMAHA guy...

Gotta have some pics...have her take a few of you in your regular attire then post them here...it'll be OBVIOUS...

However, it seems that you just like the Harley Controls with Japanese Guts...
So in the end, you may very well be a Taint! ;)

Which makes the below the bike you need :D

Attachments

#25 ·
Well...if you look like one of the guys from SONS OF ANARCHY, don't bathe or shave often, and that's your general dress and gear...that puts one in the Harley Guy category...

But if you like engines that actually WORK right and shaft drive & wear reflective jackets & a helmet...that makes you a HONDA or YAMAHA guy...

Gotta have some pics...have her take a few of you in your regular attire...it'll be OBVIOUS...

However, it seems that you just like the Harley Controls with Japanese Guts...
So in the end, you may very well be a Taint! ;)

Which makes the below the bike you need :D
If you look at folks who ride Harleys like that, that makes you THAT GUY!. And frankly I feel kind of sad for you.

#31 ·
I have ridden a Heritage, beautiful ride. Nothing wrong with that bike.

...Each to their own and all that, but I don’t get all this brand-name pearl-clutching stuff. I don’t buy into the biker lifestyle, I do my own thing, don’t give crap what anybody else thinks of what I ride, I ride because I enjoy it, my bikes fit their needs and they do their jobs.. which is why I likes-‘em!

...Then, people do buy into the lifestyle, and, there’s nothing wrong with that either! ..if a person likes the social aspect of riding, the image of it, Hell, there’s worse ways of spending your time...??? ..watching chick-flicks, playing lawn darts, painting lawn jockeys and ??? ...macrame :neutral: ..and whatnot, for a start!

Your thing, just do it. Ride what makes you happy and for whatever reasons it may float YOUR boat. At the end of the day, when it comes to riding, there’s just no real need to explain to anybody Why and What-for. Most real people end-up not really caring what you ride, and those who do likely need to break out their paint-box or take up macrame, as they Obviously have Waaaaaay too much time on their hands.

#33 ·
I have ridden a Heritage, beautiful ride. Nothing wrong with that bike.

...Each to their own and all that, but I don’t get all this brand-name pearl-clutching stuff. I don’t buy into the biker lifestyle, I do my own thing, don’t give crap what anybody else thinks of what I ride, I ride because I enjoy it, my bikes fit their needs and they do their jobs.. which is why I likes-‘em!

...Then, people do buy into the lifestyle, and, there’s nothing wrong with that either! ..if a person likes the social aspect of riding, the image of it, Hell, there’s worse ways of spending your time...??? ..watching chick-flicks, playing lawn darts, painting lawn jockeys and ??? ...macrame :neutral: ..and whatnot, for a start!

Your thing, just do it. Ride what makes you happy and for whatever reasons it may float YOUR boat. At the end of the day, when it comes to riding, there’s just no real need to explain to anybody Why and What-for. Most real people end-up not really caring what you ride, and those who do likely need to break out their paint-box or take up macrame, as they Obviously have Waaaaaay too much time on their hands.

Shut up Mark.

Man....been too long! That felt good!!!

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

#34 ·
So yeah...the wife basically admitted via slip of the tongue, that she's just in this relationship for the benefits and so she don't have to work. I'm really feeling done right now...and I do not think my marriage will survive much longer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

#37 ·
I think this type of mentality is prevalent in any type of scene where a certain brand generates a following - Honda, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Harley, etc. etc. etc.

There are some people who will, no matter what, follow what they deem is the "superior" brand. Some are completely convinced of it out of peer pressure, some out of a need to assimilate, and some just based on their own experiences. I married into a Chevy family - every vehicle they own is a Chevy. When I met my wife I was driving a Honda... Now, I've got an F-150, a Jeep, a Charger and the Honda Shadow - I admire beauty and purity of heart no matter the brand.

I am however drawn to the Harley "lifestyle" - if I'm being honest. I like the camaraderie and cohesiveness, and I like their bikes, but they ain't what they used to be. If you ride a Harley, you're automatically (whether you want to be or not) a part of the super-secret decoder ring club. Not so much for any other brand - and in that situation, I'd say Harley marketing got it absolutely right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.