"Freddie Spencer Riding School" -- Delta Sky Mag - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

"Freddie Spencer Riding School" -- Delta Sky Mag

On a recent business trip I was on a Delta flight and came across a pretty interesting article in their "Sky" magazine about the Freddie Spencer High Performance Riding School.

http://www.delta-sky.com/2007_11/learningcurves/

To whet your appetite:

The article chronicles a lot of the things chornbe and others have said about advanced riding techniques.

Here's a startling quote from the article:

Sitting on his demo bike at the front of the class, Spencer, as much a professor of applied physics as a motorcycle instructor, proposes a radical change in thinking: “I don’t even want to hear the term ‘counter-steering.’” Instead, he makes the case for turning a motorcycle using only body position and a braking technique called “trail braking,” a continual but diminishing pressure on the front brake well into the turn.

Enjoy.

Bike: 2007 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

*gasp* NO!

Dude, I have completely given up on the notion of suggesting other riders around here take training seriously. By and large, and forgive my generalizing here... but cruiser riders are some of the least motivated riders, and worst selective cheapskates that ever walked the Earth. Some of these guys will spend cash on chrome and leather like it's the last commodity available, but if you suggest that people get proper riding gear, a well-fitting helmet or *gasp* training to actually learn how to RIDE the stupid bike, and it's like you're talking Greek to a bunch of deaf, mute moto-cannibals.

I mean, ya know, no offense to anyone in particular and all, but the only thing worse than some of the attitudes I see on this board are the stupid, idiotic, chrome-lovin' cro-magnons over at HDForums.com.

Ok, that's a little harsh. A little. Some of the folks here are clearly concerned about safety and quality riding, but we're in the minority. Of that I'm sure.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go out to my garage and drop my bike, now. Seems to be the cool thing to do.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Did I post the link to the motorcycle school? Damn. I meant to post the link to the travel story on Cincinnati. My bad.

Bike: 2007 Goldwing
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM

I'd love to go to that. Would be great to ask Fast Freddie if he could teach me to ride like Kenny Roberts

President, V-Twin Cruisers MC Springfield Ohio Chapter
Patriot Guard Rider 163818
Ride bell by Kara
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go out to my garage and drop my bike, now. Seems to be the cool thing to do.
Now that one made me laugh out loud!

I'll never understand the 'I dropped my bike' posts. It's like the first reaction is to run to the nearest computer and let everyone know: "I dropped mah bike!! I ain't even picked 'er up yet!! I'm gonna run back out and see if I can pick 'er up using that technique I done saw own the video. Yeee--haww!!"

Damn, if I wasn't on a business trip I just might go out to my garage and side-swide my kickstand right out from under my bike. I sooo wanna be cool.

Back on topic.... training. I am still looking for some advanced training somewhere in the midwest. I would really like to get to a class. It seems the only thing readily available around here is the ERC. I'll definitely take that, but I'd sure like to get to something a little more intensive than that.

Regards. -Jay

F*** your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 PM

I'd take classes to improve my riding, if I knew from who. Even info in print on cornering from Motorcycling Excellence by the MSF differs from the advice in Proficient Motorcycling for instance. Who would you recommend for a street cruiser just looking to improve a bit? As far as helmets and gear go, once again, reliable info varies in opinion. Some would have me dressed in armor, others are a bit more liberal in their thinking. No helmet fit standards exist to my knowledge, and sizes are all over the map. I bought a good tight fitting helmet that is now too loose to really do a good job. (Guess I should have bought a better one eh?)
I would seriously invite solid factual opinion on many safety issues.
Rocksolid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornbe
but if you suggest that people get proper riding gear, a well-fitting helmet or *gasp* training to actually learn how to RIDE the stupid bike, and it's like you're talking Greek to a bunch of deaf, mute moto-cannibals.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Rocksolid, I took the proficient motorcycling class this September. I remember being scolded in the ERC for front braking with two fingers and the first drill in proficient motorcycling is trail/power braking where you keep the throttle open and squeeze the brake control with two fingers in order to set up the suspension for a turn.

I figure that I'll have to take the proficient motorcycling course 3 times in order to get the max from it, then I'll be ready for the course in Vegas. Right now I'm working on body position. Yes, there is a correct body position on a cruiser, no it doesn't involve putting a knee on the ground. Then back to school to learn to manage the suspension, Third trip puts it all together.

A smart remark is the most effective means of birth control. Paulie

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRay
Back on topic.... training. I am still looking for some advanced training somewhere in the midwest. I would really like to get to a class. It seems the only thing readily available around here is the ERC. I'll definitely take that, but I'd sure like to get to something a little more intensive than that.

Regards. -Jay
I checked the Lee Parks web site www.leeparksdesign.com There are classes in Aurora, Co. Searcy,AR. Gilbert, Az. and Joliet Il. just depends where you're taking the bike vacation this year. It's a one day lot course that basically covers the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by Lee Parks and the course is called ARC. I thought it was pretty worth while although I still ride like crap, I'm getting better all the time.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM

My apologies to all, I stupidly refered to Proficient Motorcycling when what the freak I was actually talking about was Total Control by Lee Parks. His course being called Total Control Arc. Damn, if you are under 40, ride without a helmet you end up with fudge for brains anyway.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 PM

If it helps, don't forget that we plan to offer the Ride Like A Pro class at the Southern Rally in January.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page