I'm back... Back in the saddle again.... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm back... Back in the saddle again....

Greetings fellow Shadow enthusiasts!
I've been reading a number of posts on this site, and it looks like a real good group of folks here.
So.... after 31 years, I finally have a ride again. I bought an '07 Spirit VT750C2. Wow, sure is different from the CB750 I had. The ride and stability are very good, the engine is very responsive, and the shaft drive is quiet, but gives a different "feel" to the drive train.
I notice that the bike, when running at 55-60, has very different vibrations compared to the old CB750. It seems more of a "buzz" rather than the "humm" of the older bike. I assume this is the V-twin engine? Also, I keep looking for a 6th gear. It seems the engine turns more revs in 5th.

Thanks for letting me share!

-- Doug

'07 VT750C2 Shadow Spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Hey Jim,

First off...welcome to the forum!!! And congrats on the purchase.

The Spirit 750 (and really all the 750s) are geared a bit low for highway riding. I believe the stock rear sprocket is a 42 tooth one. People have changed these out for a 37 or 38 tooth one to lower the rpms at highway speeds.

The change out is pretty straight forward but you will need to be able to remove the rear tire and cut the stock chain. You will need to take 2 links out of the stock chain and install a master link to hold them back together. You may also want to pick up new lock brackets for the rear sprocket. These are small pieces of metal that you fold up to touch the bolt head. This holds the bolt in place. You can usually reuse the old ones, but if you break off one of the tabs, you will need to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Joe
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Welcome and happy ridding. Two things to remember around here 1) keep the rubber side to the road. New members i.e. ridders are easy to come by but hard to keep as they keep falling of the damb things and getting hurt, we like to keep that to a minimum around here.

2)Pictures, pictures, pictures, did I say pictures. We want to see you and your ride. We are vouyeristic around here, if you go on a ride on some awesome roads, take pics. If you buy new toys to add to your ride, take pics.

3)Enjoy the ride, have fun, be happy but most of all be safe...

98 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_1100
Hey Jim,

The Spirit 750 (and really all the 750s) are geared a bit low for highway riding. I believe the stock rear sprocket is a 42 tooth one. People have changed these out for a 37 or 38 tooth one to lower the rpms at highway speeds.

The change out is pretty straight forward but you will need to be able to remove the rear tire and cut the stock chain. You will need to take 2 links out of the stock chain and install a master link to hold them back together. You may also want to pick up new lock brackets for the rear sprocket. These are small pieces of metal that you fold up to touch the bolt head. This holds the bolt in place. You can usually reuse the old ones, but if you break off one of the tabs, you will need to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Joe
welcome to the forum

Joe........ some good info you shared there... but the bike he has is a C2 it has a shaft
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Someone's an Aerosmith fan...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_1100
Hey Jim,

Hope this helps.

Joe
welcome to the forum

Joe........ some good info you shared there... but the bike he has is a C2 it has a shaft
AAAAHHHH...Yeah...so...he is screwed. Sorry Jim.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM

That's the same thought I had when I created my screen name.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Jim welcome to the Forum.

I can't really help you on the Shadow question as I ride a, you guessed it, a CB750C.

Cat
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:19 PM

Welcome, good choice. I have one too and love it. No matter what bike you get you'll always hunt for 6th. You turn 3400 rpm's at 60 mph. You'll get used to it. You can run at 80 mph all day and the Honda won't complain.

Spirit 750C2

Peace through Discipline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page