My ride to Utah pt 1. w/pics - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

My ride to Utah pt 1. w/pics

After 6 long months the day finally came last Thursday for a ride of a lifetime, well for me, going to Utah. I started out early in morning on the interstate to Albuquerque and then on to the Indian Reservations of NM, CO, and Utah. I used U.S. Highways' 550, 64 and 461 in New Mexico that wound through the desert. In Colorado I followed US160 for a while and State Hwy 41 to the Utah border. In Utah I followed a course, Sate Hwy 261, through the desert and to the Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument. This highway is a snaky one as it climbs in and out of the canyons, scrapped the pegs many times before I got to the Monument. It is there that I took a break from riding and hiked a short distance down to view the magnificent rock bridges. Back on the bike I rode through Glen Canyon, over a bridge across Lake Powell and to Hanksville. At Hanksville I headed south to Escalante, riding through the Captial Reef and the Dixie National Forest, where a forest fire was doing damage. This is also where the scenery of the desert changes to forest as you climb up on your way to Boulder. It also is a free range and you had to worry about cattle on the road, which their was plenty, more than the deer.
I finally made it to Escalante after riding down the Hogsback (State Hwy 12). That twisty section is on a ridge, with no guard rails and hundred foot drop offs on either side of the road. I had 840 miles under my wheels when I checked in at the motel that evening. It was a great day riding even if it was almost all in the heat of the desert. The next day was not gonna be as long of a ride when I travel up north to SLC and for the main reason for my journey, The Utah 1088 Rally.

The Colorado Desert on US 491

The Utah State line at HWY 262

Yup that's me and I am still smiling.

Not much room for error on this part of HWY12

IBA#30464
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 PM

absolutely beautiful scenery! Now what all do you have loaded on the back of that spirit?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Beautiful shots.....What a ride that must have been. Very !!!!!

Thanks,
Dennis
PGR # 173509
Ride Bell by ButchA & a_hippie
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tour
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 PM

Very very cool man! Thank you for going through the trouble of posting the pics.

I was stationed in Mountain Home, ID for 3 years, and my wife and I are both from north/central Texas (me from Ft. Worth, her from Austin).

I've travelled a lot of roads between Boise and Austin, and I never get sick of it. The scenery is inspiring, and you get a feel for how big the country is when you only travel a small part of it and it means at least 24 hours on the road, more if you want to take the back way. 110k miles on my truck alone in 3 years, wish I could have ridden. (hard to fit the dog, an infant, a wife, their luggage, uniform, rifle, and presents from Korea on a bike. Looks like you may have done it though lol)

Looking forward to more posts!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

nemo vestrum stupri negotium

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 AM

Amazing! Nothing better than photos looking through another Rider's eyes.

His - 750 Aero
Hers - 650 V Star
Ours - 500 Royal Enfield Bullet
500 Royal Enfield Military
overthehillandback.com Motorcycle tours for old farts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 AM

I sure do regret not being able to meet up with you in Cuba. But, since you're in Amarillo, our paths should cross before too long. Love the pics.

Since you've already caught a little razzing about your setup, I feel it necessary to repeat something I said in respsonse to another post, sometime in the recent past: There is nothing so cool looking (to me, anyway) as a bike that's locked and loaded, and ready to hit the road. Considering the intensity of that first day's ride, and your trek through some pretty tricky real estate, I'd say you probably packed wisely.

Anyway, the pics look great, and the bike looks awesome.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 AM

I'm impressed.
Especially seeing how you were drinking from that keg the entire trip.

Really nice pictures.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 AM

Yes, for the record I think your bike looks cool as hell laden like that. Just screams adventure and stories.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

nemo vestrum stupri negotium

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Land Bridges or Natural bridges at the Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument.

IBA#30464
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw
absolutely beautiful scenery! Now what all do you have loaded on the back of that spirit?
Besides the 7 gallon aux fuel tank, just a bag full of clothes with some cold weather gear.

IBA#30464
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page