New member, new (used) bike, new rider...old questions? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

New member, new (used) bike, new rider...old questions?

Great to have found this forum. I took delivery this evening of a 2005 Shadow Ace in Black/Grey in great shape, only 2200 miles, dealer maintained and well cared for. It's sitting in my garage unregistered, but I've already washed and waxed it since I can't do anything else with it tonight ;>)

Other than riding a buddy's bike a couple times about 20 years ago (I'm in my 40's) I've never ridden. Lots of time on mountain and road bikes, which I think will help me in *some* ways. Anyway, I took the MSF BRC in May, did very well except for a little foot dab in 'the box' during my evaluation, but passed it, got my license, and I've been looking at bikes until this morning . I plan on taking it REAL slow and just riding back streets and roads, and becoming very familiar with the nearest parking lot. Gonna do the full-face helmet, jacket with armor, boots, gloves. All part of the adventure, as I see it. Beyond that, I bought this bike just to cruise around the rural back roads in my area. I live in a semi-rural area of upstate NY (near where they hold Americade) and there are great places to ride without having to venture far.

The Aero feels very comfortable to me (at least sitting on it and moving it around the driveway), and I love the low seat height because I'm only 5'8", and that's in my boots. Can't wait to get it out and about.

I have a couple of questions. I've searched the site quite a bit but haven't found any direct answers. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide, and once again, I'm glad to be here.

1. My bike came with saddlebags and a sissy bar. I want to remove them along with the pillion and convert it to a solo ride. Problem is, the bolts that hold the saddle bag guards is recessed and none of my sockets will fit into the recess. I believe they were dealer installed, and therefore probably OEM. Is there a special tool I need to remove these?
2. Once I get those off, is there any trick to removing the bag mounts and sissy bar? It all seems to be 'layered' - that is, the saddle bag guards are mounted to the silver trim thingy on the rear fender, and if memory serves, the sissy bar mount is behind that. If I remove the bolt that holds it all together, will a nut fall out from up inside the fender?
3. While learning to ride well and is my first priority, I'm already thinking about a few small mods/customizations, like a seat rail around the solo seat, maybe floorboards, maybe a light bar with passing lights. When I go on eBay or surf around in general, there are TONS of vendors selling this stuff. Can anyone recommend a good bang-for-buck, budget-minded but decent quality vendor for these kinds of accessories?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:55 PM

Model: Sabre
Year: 2002
Garage
Re: New member, new (used) bike, new rider...old questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer
Great to have found this forum. I took delivery this evening of a 2005 Shadow Ace in Black/Grey in great shape, only 2200 miles, dealer maintained and well cared for. It's sitting in my garage unregistered, but I've already washed and waxed it since I can't do anything else with it tonight ;>)

Other than riding a buddy's bike a couple times about 20 years ago (I'm in my 40's) I've never ridden. Lots of time on mountain and road bikes, which I think will help me in *some* ways. Anyway, I took the MSF BRC in May, did very well except for a little foot dab in 'the box' during my evaluation, but passed it, got my license, and I've been looking at bikes until this morning . I plan on taking it REAL slow and just riding back streets and roads, and becoming very familiar with the nearest parking lot. Gonna do the full-face helmet, jacket with armor, boots, gloves. All part of the adventure, as I see it. Beyond that, I bought this bike just to cruise around the rural back roads in my area. I live in a semi-rural area of upstate NY (near where they hold Americade) and there are great places to ride without having to venture far.

The Aero feels very comfortable to me (at least sitting on it and moving it around the driveway), and I love the low seat height because I'm only 5'8", and that's in my boots. Can't wait to get it out and about.

I have a couple of questions. I've searched the site quite a bit but haven't found any direct answers. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide, and once again, I'm glad to be here.

1. My bike came with saddlebags and a sissy bar. I want to remove them along with the pillion and convert it to a solo ride. Problem is, the bolts that hold the saddle bag guards is recessed and none of my sockets will fit into the recess. I believe they were dealer installed, and therefore probably OEM. Is there a special tool I need to remove these?
2. Once I get those off, is there any trick to removing the bag mounts and sissy bar? It all seems to be 'layered' - that is, the saddle bag guards are mounted to the silver trim thingy on the rear fender, and if memory serves, the sissy bar mount is behind that. If I remove the bolt that holds it all together, will a nut fall out from up inside the fender?
3. While learning to ride well and is my first priority, I'm already thinking about a few small mods/customizations, like a seat rail around the solo seat, maybe floorboards, maybe a light bar with passing lights. When I go on eBay or surf around in general, there are TONS of vendors selling this stuff. Can anyone recommend a good bang-for-buck, budget-minded but decent quality vendor for these kinds of accessories?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the BRC and new ride, one place you might look for stuff is cruisercustomizing.com it's a free site to sign up for and have lots of stuff........check it out and I'm sure others will pop in here with more suggestions.
Don't know about your bolts, you may want to talk to your dealer for some info, one thing for sure, when you find out how to get the bolts out, only do one side at a time, that way the rear fender won't come completely loose, they can be a bugger trying to get back on with the tire on............

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/eldo....jpg.html?o=11
"John" 2002 Sabre
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider Chapter 84
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: New member, new (used) bike, new rider...old questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado
one thing for sure, when you find out how to get the bolts out, only do one side at a time, that way the rear fender won't come completely loose, they can be a bugger trying to get back on with the tire on............
See that, I've only been here a couple hours and I've learned something already.

Thanks for that advice. Wouldn't want to learn that one the hard way.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to Maggiethecat
Welcome from down South.
Great members on the forum with answers for everything.
Enjoy the new ride - safely.

Totaled on 4/27/10

If you're going through Hell - keep going!
Sir Winston Churchill

2000 VLX600
I need MORE CHROME!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03KFShadow
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

I'd +1 the cruisercustomizing.com. Also, try chromeworld.com. They've got a pretty good selection as well and ship fast.

Ride safe!

Peace and Blessings,

-Kenny

2003 Shadow VT750 Spirit

Christian Motorcyclists Association
Spoken-N-Word Chapter, Shakopee, MN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page